Two Greenville Convenience Stores Robbed Overnight

Greenville police said the Kangaroo on Greenville Blvd. and 14th St. was robbed at gunpoint at 12:30 a.m. The Kangaroo on Portertown Rd. and Eastern Pines was also robbed at gunpoint earlier in the night. That case is being handled by the Pitt County Sheriff's Office.

Greenville police said there was no hard evidence at this time the robberies were related, though it would be something detectives investigate today.

The robberies overnight bring the number of such crimes in the Greenville area to four in the past week. The Kangaroo at 2600 Charles Blvd. was robbed at gunpoint Monday night. The Wilco Hess at 715 S. Memorial Drive was robbed Friday night.

• by WhateverYouWantToCallMe Location: WhereEverYouThinkIAm on May 4, 2011 at 08:21 PM
    I am so sick of hearing about race and education the fact is it does not matter if youre black, white, in between or if you never graduated high school or if you went to the best school in the country some people just dont think they should have to work to earn a living maybe its because thats all they know or maybe its just because thats what they wanted to do but all im saying is that as long as you feed a stray they will come back for more maybe if people would stop feeding their hunger they will learn that the things they need will not just be gave to them and they will have to work for it and learn to supply their self with their own meal.
  • by Educated Black Male Location: Greenville on May 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    Well, I'm glad that I am not the only one who is both intelligent and brave enough to discuss the actual root of this problem. The burst of crime that is taking place in your beloved city and the rest of the world, is not something that happened over night. This is what you get when you consistently suppress and ignore real issues. These crime waves are a direct result of lack of respect, opportunity, and support. Now you have a serious problem. Many of these "thugs" grew up watching their grandparents or single parents struggle and endure ridicule while trying to provide the "right-way". In the eyes of many of the black youth, the "right way" includes taking whatever job opportunities that their white counterparts would not perform, and doing it with a smile while being disrespected by society as a whole. On top of all of that, their hard work was just enough money to live in poverty. At the same time, they are also watching criminals and gang members prosper without having to worry about money or tolerate disrespect. Todays youth is not as dumb as you think. They are going where real opportunity lies "FOR THEM"...unfortunately for todays society..."THEIR" opportunity is not in school or the work field. I didn't make the game, but I can surely commentate as we watch...America, you have created a society of angry folks who are no longer interested in hearing your lies about the "American Dream" All of a sudden it's a problem now. No one wanted to listen when they marched and demonstrated...Looks like they have your attention now. So sad, but so true!
  • by Gville on Apr 28, 2011 at 04:41 PM
    Maybe we need to put some real police in those real police cars.
      by RN on Apr 28, 2011 at 06:39 PM in reply to Gville
      Not having "real" police is NOT the problem, the real problem is having poilices/political agendas that prohibit them from acting on a lot of problems/crimes they see!
  • by Susie Location: Greenville on Apr 28, 2011 at 03:51 PM
    GREENVILLE CITY COUNCIL...Do we need to organize a MARCH (or several) on the front steps to let them know we are FED UP with the crime?? We are going to have to pull together and use our voices!! I have 2 teenage children and at the rate crime is going it scares me to think how this area will be in 10-15 years. What about our grandchildren? By then home invasions will probably be "normal", they will just walk in point a gun (possibly use it) and take what they want!! No need to call the police, they will be scared too!! WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS???????
  • by DB and Kay on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    go ahead, believe in compassion and try your hardest to 'help' these poor deprived souls, by offering excuses to this pathetic animalistic behavior they constantly exhibit. me? i'm all out of compassion. these people you speak of have every advantage, free everything, right on up to and through college. all they have to do is apply themselves to be good people. but that doesn't buy drugs, beer or rims. robbing a store? that does. you keep up the good fight and provide your compassion. i'll provide bullets.
      by DB on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM in reply to DB and Kay
      Stop playing like your gonna shoot someone when in all actuallity you don't. My father taught me the loudest one in the room is the weakest so you provide bullets rambo and hopefully you wont get shot back.lol
      by Fact Bringer on Apr 28, 2011 at 02:55 PM in reply to DB and Kay
      Provide bullets? If you're threatening to shoot folks like the ones you describe here, I'm a little concerned and hope you call someone you can discuss this with. You need to be more careful about how you're communicating, in my opinion. Be safe.
  • by Chuck Location: Greenville on Apr 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    These stores should close by 10PM at night.There is no need for these stores including Wal Mart & Harris Teeter to be open past 10PM. The store at 14th & Blvd had a female employee on the overnight shift.That is a no no. I Cannot imagine how she felt with a gun stuck in her face. Guess it will take a employee getting shot or killed to get these stores owners to get the message. How many more times has the Kangaroo store @ 14th & Blve got to be robbed before they just close it up early or close it down permanetly. Maybe some police undercover officers watching the stores might put a stop to it. These scum bag Robber thugs need to get shot & Then Maybe they will get the message. "Come on Greenville City Manage & City Council,This Is Unacceptable".Get a new police chief Or Give the Chief the Manpower to get this stopped. Guess this won't happen because the City Council do not have the time."Too Busty Discussing The Bike Trails,Nature Parks,& Voting On The Sidewalks that noboby uses.
  • by Matt Ress Location: NC on Apr 28, 2011 at 08:41 AM
    How dare people blame this on people trying to feed their children and resorting to crime to do so. Unacceptable!!! We were poor for the first 7 years of my life. My father worked any job he could find...at one point working four part time jobs, dirty jobs, to feed us. He never stooped to crime.
      by Fact Bringer on Apr 28, 2011 at 10:49 AM in reply to Matt Ress
      I don't think anyone is trying to justify in any way the unacceptable crimes that are being committed. Systemically, however, it needs to be more worth it to live a moral life and work for a living, than to pull off crime and freeload. This involves more than a simple "lock them up" mentality, because as you can see, the problem has gotten worse, we are out of prison space, and crime continues to occur. I think a multifaceted approach is more favorable.
      by DB on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM in reply to Matt Ress
      Times have changed since you were seven buddy there are no jobs to go and get several of them much less one get you facts straight buddy we are talking about present not past.
      by Anonymous on Apr 28, 2011 at 01:16 PM in reply to Matt Ress
      only DB and Kay are blaming the economy...the rest of us are not...I agree with you!! Get a job and work...make yourself useful and stop having babies if you cannot raise them in a proper fashion!
        by DB on Apr 30, 2011 at 08:54 AM in reply to
        Probaly because we are educated enough to understand that its not as easy as get a job or lock them up. Its obviously not working but you and the rest of the community are wondering why you keep getting robbed and murdered. lol
  • by cj on Apr 28, 2011 at 08:11 AM
    No, this is not a case of desparate people trying to feed their children. If i were ever in that position, which i may be, the way things are going, I would do what i need to do to feed my kids. i do not believe that would involve robbing someone else, but i'll reserve my judgement there. This is not the case here. the robber could have sold his gun for cash, no? There are many people who have not worked a day in their pathetic lives, and feel they are entitled to everything, i have, for example. well, i went to school, college and have worked everyday since. and am currently struggling to make ends meet. and those who are on benefits, not really talking about unemployment, talking about welfare-- there needs to be some work done to 'earn' their benefits. there is no such thing as a free ride. government buildings need paint. roads need trash cleaned up etc. there are many things they can do to contribute. smoking cigs and drinking 40s at 10am DO NOT QUALIFY.
  • by Kay Location: Grifton on Apr 28, 2011 at 07:40 AM
    REAL policing is good, but it's putting a band aid on a really deep cut. ENC doesn’t compare to NYC bc NYC offers more social support, diversity, and opportunities, and less racism. A lot happens before these people become “low life scum”. While they should be held responsible, nobody will understand what it’s like to be them unless they’ve walked in their shoes. We can lock all of the “low life scum” away, but the social issues- poverty, enabling thru welfare, single parent homes, racism, etc…will still be present, and people, esp. disadvantaged black males, will still feel like they have nothing to lose, so there will still be these types of crime. So many people on this site want to rattle off statistics about how it’s usually black people, but so little support programs that attempt prevention. Be a mentor, support youth programs, be compassionate…you have no idea what these people have been through. If you feel it’s not your issue to fix and/or want to just throw them all in jail, that is totally your choice, but you will continue to be robbed, murdered, etc. Bottom line- PUT UP or SHUT UP.
      by DB on Apr 28, 2011 at 08:18 AM in reply to Kay
      Thank God an educated person thank you Kay that is what I was saying the issue is poverty.
      by FOS on Apr 28, 2011 at 08:50 AM in reply to Kay
      Bottom line it is a personal choice to get help that is needed, and it is out there, or choose to become a criminal. There are poor, disadvantaged people that never break the law. Quit making excuses for criminals.
        by Kay on Apr 28, 2011 at 09:52 AM in reply to FOS
        I don't consider my statements excuses...just wanted to say that there are reasons behind every action. I often cross paths with children who have little to no hope because they have not witnessed the possibilities or help that is available enough to actually believe in them. Since I am aware of that, I make the choice to try to help them before they become criminals. I choose to do my part so they that do the right thing because I understand that people naturally try to satisfy basic needs before morality and respect of others becomes a priority. I feel that too often we choose condemnation over compassion. I cannot control what you choose to do or think, but I feel that as long as we hold on to your type of mindset, the number of these types of stories will increase.
        by Anon V on Apr 28, 2011 at 01:09 PM in reply to FOS
        BEAUTIFUL! Kay, is saying that it is our fault that they choose crime! QUIT WITH THE EXCUSES AND BLAMING!!! Quite frankly, I am busy raising my own children to be good citizens and have no actual time for others so why should I be blamed?? Get real Kay...
          by Kay on Apr 28, 2011 at 02:59 PM in reply to Anon V
          Quit yelling...it's okay! I have an opinion just like you do. I never placed blame; I'm saying that more policing is not going to fix it, and I'm offering my opinion on what I believe will help the situation. You are more than welcome to limit your responsibility to your home. I don't feel the same. My son is a well-behaved, honor student. But, (true story) my next door neighbor is a single parent, works two jobs, hardly ever home, and the children seem to be basically raising themselves. Here's my point--- I can either spend some extra time encouraging the kids, encouraging and offering my help to the mom, supporting events at the kids' school so that they know someone cares, etc...or I can talk about how bad the kids are, how the dad is missing, how she shouldn't get food stamps, etc. and wait for them to break into my home and then fuss about how sorry the judges, police, mayors, etc. are. I have never met a person who was too busy to try to help someone less fortunate. I've only met people who don't want to and feel it's not their problem. If it's not you're problem while they are young, it will become your problem when they turn to the street life bc you and your children may be their victims. That's REAL!
      by ugh! on Apr 28, 2011 at 09:40 AM in reply to Kay
      1st..REAL policing is a completely separate component to the solution, not a band-aid. It's necessary and requires that citizens and the court system alike quit making excuses for crime based on a person's sad life. The police and courts should not b trying to 'understand' a criminals sad past, but trying to keep them from harming innocent ones. All the other stuff u said is great...but it starts with citizens and PRIVATE organizations and most importantly FAMILY. Btw, i do my fair share of community volunteering and service and work in these communities. I hope to make a difference, but i also believe in justice. And u should take notice that most of these crimes occur towards the end of the month...when govt money runs low. Charity w/o Justice is useless.
      by Anonymous on Apr 28, 2011 at 01:15 PM in reply to Kay
      just raise your kids right thats all!!
        by Anonymous on Apr 28, 2011 at 01:50 PM in reply to
        I agree! The ones belly aching about wanting basketball courts don't even know where their kids are. If people are going to have children they need to raise them. It seems as if all some of the parents are concerned about is having more and more kids to increase their welfare checks and or their food stamps.
      by Anonymous on Apr 28, 2011 at 04:37 PM in reply to Kay
      Kay you say "disadvantaged black males" What makes us advantaged? We had to work hard. Some people just don't want to work.
  • by DB on Apr 28, 2011 at 07:16 AM
    Robert never said it happened overnight go back and read my statement.You probaly have a job so you can't speak about a situation that is currently happening in which you are not experiencing.Also again read my statement never said it had anything to do with benefits I said if you read my statement when clearly you didn't that with the recent cut off of unemployment benefits you can expect to see more of these crimes from desparate people. Oh yeah I was on benefits and I am looking for a job and can't get one.Funny you just generalized every person on the street who feels they are entitled to money are punks what how old are you thats a punkish thing to say. Im not on the streets but I am an american and I feel I am entitled to money when I payed taxes from my job for seven years to pay people in my situation but when I get there and I'm there I am not entitled to it so does that make me a punk. It all goes back to poverty my friend no matter how many ill tones you slur over the internet it's poverty my friend.And since there are jobs everywhere I am currently unemployed and would love a job and since you know where they are and the rest of us don't please enlighten us give me your number I will give you mine and show me where the jobs are and put a good word in for me buddy. Sincerely Punks

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120848979 - witn.com/a?a=120848979