Two Funeral Homes On Probation

Two funeral homes in Pitt County are on probation for complaints about how they handled money.

The Daily Reflector reports courts ordered Blake Phillips Funeral Service in Greenville to pay a client back after the man said he did not receive a refund he was owed. The paper says the business was already on probation by the state board that regulates funeral homes.

Another Greenville funeral home, Mitchell's, has to hire a location manager and submit a written operations plan. The report says several members of the Mitchell's staff need to be trained and licensed.

• by Sir on Nov 12, 2011 at 09:25 AM
    Well u can't try to steal people money and get away away with it!! I am so glad u finally got in trouble bc u know u were wrong !! And I do 2
  • by Unqualified!! on Oct 13, 2011 at 06:28 AM
    I agree with the decision for Mitchell's! The staff is rude and unsympathetic! I know one of the staffers isn't qualified definitely! He actually told the close family members to 'Get up' and get in line, surely there could have been kinder words to use in such an occassion. One lady in a big ole hat kept walking back and forth all over my feet. since the original owner passed, the service went down!
  • by Me Location: greenville on Oct 12, 2011 at 08:43 PM
    All I can say is as an insurance agent I NEVER saw a check go to anyone but the beneficiary. I delivered many of those before I retired. Never 1 to a funeral home unless they were listed as the beneficiary!
  • by justification Location: greenville on Oct 12, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    No bad deed goes unpunished; the good Rev. Blake Phillips purchased carpet on behalf of his church, on Evans Street in 2007 and had NEVER paid the bill....just another example of him taking advantage....wonder where the church's money went????
      by ?!! on Oct 13, 2011 at 06:23 AM in reply to justification
      What?! Oh Lordy yall just putting the Pastor on 'blast!'. Well the bible did tell us to 'Owe no man nothing...".
  • by Karma on Oct 12, 2011 at 06:31 AM
    Well, Well, Well. Blake Phillips you can't do people wrong forever without it coming back to you. Three years ago you put my family under a lot of unnecessary stress because of the way you handle your finances. I don't wish ill will on anyone but prayerfully you will learn a lesson from all of this. We reported you back then so I guess they got enough complaints. You can't do people any kind of way especially when they are already grieving.
  • by Popular Place on Oct 12, 2011 at 05:07 AM
    I heard that people are dying to get in there.
      by Penny on Oct 12, 2011 at 06:40 AM in reply to Popular Place
      Hilarious!!! LOL!!! Too Funny!! I needed that laugh this morning!!
  • by FYI Location: PITT on Oct 12, 2011 at 04:54 AM
    Most of the time the insurance company sends the check to the funeral home and not the policy holder. Therefore if all the money is not used the funeral home is to issue a refund for that amount. Alot of families have lost money that way.
      by Anonymous on Oct 12, 2011 at 02:02 PM in reply to FYI
      I thought the insurance company sent the check to whoever was the policy holder. If the policy holder was dead, they would give it to whoever the person put to receive it.
      by tt on Oct 12, 2011 at 06:55 PM in reply to FYI
      The insurance check is sent to the beneficiary of the policy, not the funeral home if it is life insurance. Burial insurance might be handled differently and I would expect it would be. If there is burial insurance, there should be no need to pay upfront unless the insurance won't cover all the costs. Sounds a little fishy to me!
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Oct 12, 2011 at 04:25 AM
    Hey......... Hey you are never too old to learn --- I have never heard of a funeral home giving a refund. Who brought the charges ---- ???? LOL.
      by Wow on Oct 12, 2011 at 09:13 AM in reply to Shine
      If you have a funeral cost of 10,000, and you paid 5,000 to them in cash for good standing. Then the insurance check comes in for 10,000.00, I would hope I would get 5,000.00 back from the funeral home. No, you are never to old to learn.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131577593 - witn.com/a?a=131577593