Two Die In Crash With Log Truck

Two people are dead after the car they were in hit a log truck Thursday night in Martin County. Troopers Tell WITN the car was speeding but are not sure how fast it was going. Troopers also say the driver of the truck could face additional charges including misdemeanor death by motor vehicle.

The Highway Patrol says about 6:30 p.m. on Prison Camp Road in Williamston, the log truck driver was backing into the driveway of his home blocking both lanes on Prison Camp Road. A car headed north hit the log truck.

Investigators say the car driven by 49-year-old William Stokes ended up under the logging truck, killing Stokes and his passenger, 34-year-old Calandra Cooper. The Highway patrol says the car was speeding, but have not been able to determine just how fast.

"The driver of the truck will be cited he has an obligation to make sure the roadway is clear before backing up into the roadway." said Trooper Haywood Singleton.

Troopers say the truck driver, Garland Cratt, was cited for reckless driving because he did not make sure the road was clear before he starting backing up. Troopers say he could also be cited for misdemeanor death by motor vehicle. The Logging truck did have reflective tape along the trailer.

A woman who answered the phone at Cratt's home said he wasn't home and wouldn't take a message from a reporter.

• by Cory Location: Illinois on Mar 14, 2011 at 01:20 AM
    To Danwon, I consider myself a religious person but I think you actually posed a very valid question. If God already knows when all of us will leave this world, then what good does it do to pray for people who are dying. It's not like he's going to say, "Well my plan was to take him home today,but since you said 'please', I guess I can cancel those plans."
  • by Dayjuh B Location: williamston on Feb 5, 2011 at 08:44 AM
    i've known cee-cee n shootem up all 17 years of my lyfe.and it hurt me 2 my heart when this happend i understand everythang happens for a reason.but all i kan du iz pray for peace of mind...
  • by Mr. Eddie Location: Williamston on Jan 21, 2011 at 09:23 AM
    I've known both William Stokes or Shoot-Up as we all called him and Cee-Cee for many of Years. Shoot-Up and I was once Neighbors once and they were both very good Human Beings. This is a great Tragedy and I also must say that no matter whom is right or wrong in this it's never a moment for pointing the finger about whom was wrong or right because doing so isn't bringing Cee-Cee nor William back to life. My Prayers is extended to Cee-Cee and her Family and to William and his Family including this Truck Driver if he is right or wrong because this is something he have to live with for the rest of his life and it's not easy having something like this on your Chest for life. I have many Friends and people that I know that are Truck Drivers and I talked on CB Radios for a number of years. Truck Drivers have good sides and bad sides when it comes to the open road and I won't comment on this Truck Drivers case because I don't know him nor did I see what happen on this day.
  • by r.i.p auntie on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    i just wanted to say, it really doesnt matter who fault it is, my auntie is gone and wont be returning. i cant even ride down prison camp with out crying. but its going to be ok, i know it will. i love you calandra latasha cooper and forever will. rest in peace to you both. and to the truck driver, be careful next time !!!!!
  • by queen Location: bethel on Jan 9, 2011 at 02:34 PM
    I have to agree with Me from martin county.
  • by king Location: goldsboro on Jan 7, 2011 at 04:19 PM
    First this is a terrible loss to the families and it will be difficult for the driver of the truck to live with this everyday. Although we can not group all truck drivers into one category I must say many times I have had to get on the brake hard or move out of the way to avoid them. Several times I have had them pull out in front of me or change lanes in front of me and its almost like "Hey I am bigger than you so get out of my way or you will be crushed!!" I also think it is dangerous the way they park on the side of the road or on exit ramps with no lights on. I knew a girl that hit one that way and got killed. There needs to be strict rules and they need to follow them.
  • by DUMB on Jan 7, 2011 at 01:29 PM
    THROW STONE IF U HAVE NOT BROKE THE LAW.
  • by me Location: martin county on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    The cars on the other side of the road (williamston side of the highway) stopped for the truck....I'm not understanding WHY this car didn't(this car was coming from the Robersonville side of Prison camp rd). I'm not here to point fingers,but I don't think people should be so quick to judge Mr Cratt, just b/c he drives a log truck.I have the highest respect for the "big" trucks on the road.I will kindly give them all the room they need to make turns, deliveries etc..
  • by jonjon Location: williamston on Jan 7, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    I just would like to know why the other cars on the other side of the truck were stopped as Mr Cratt was backing into his driveway, because they were possibly paying attention to the road and saw the truck! Stop accusing the truck driver before you even know all the FACTS!!!!! It's all a big tragedy for everyone involved and being mad and pointing fingers is not going to make it any easier to deal with.. Yes, Prayer does comfort if you allow God to help heal.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 7, 2011 at 07:31 AM
    I drive home from Greenville almost every night on this road. I can clearly see anything in the road even a possum going across the road. This is a very tragic accident and was these people time to go. I am sorry for all the people involved. I am sure Mr. Cratt did not mean for this to happen. I can feel the pain he is going through. I also feel the pain the family of CeeCee and Shootem up is going through and I am very sorry for their loss.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112693409 - witn.com/a?a=112693409