Police: Cause May Never Be Determined For Deadly Greenville Crash

After a more than month-long investigation, police say they have no official cause determined for a deadly January crash in Greenville.

It was late January when authorities say Bradley Novotny's car crossed over 2 lanes of traffic on Charles boulevard and crashed into a vehicle driven by Andy Fritscher, killing both of them.

Greenville police say they have concluded their investigation and determined there were no mechanical issues with either vehicle, neither driver was on a cell phone, and toxicology results were negative for both.

PREVIOUS STORY:
Funeral arrangements have been announced for the two men killed in a head-on collision on Charles Blvd. in Greenville Monday.

An obituary for 52-year-old Andrew Fritscher says he will be laid to rest Saturday in Matthews, NC, which is near Charlotte. The obituary says in lieu of flowers memorials may be sent to the Fritscher Children's Educational Fund at 305 Trafalgar Place, Matthews, NC 28105.

Meanwhile, services for 23-year-old Bradley Novotny will be private. His family is set to receive friends Thursday night. Memorial contributions may be made to the Catholic Relief Services, 228 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201-3413, or to the E. B. Aycock Middle School, Music Department c/o Jason Barclift, 1325 Red Banks Road, Greenville, NC 27858-5399.

Meanwhile, police have released no new information in their investigation of what caused the fatal wreck Monday.

Previous Story:
Greenville Police have identified the victims in Monday's head-on collision on Charles Blvd.

The two men who died are 52-year-old Andrew Fritscher and 23-year-old Bradley Novotny.

Police say Fritscher was driving the SUV, while Novotny was in the Honda Civic.

Fritscher, who was born in Louisiana, was an engineer at JT Packard in Greenville. He leaves behind a fiancee and several children. His family says he was on his way to pick up his two youngest children when the accident happened and that he and his fiancee had just been talking about wedding plans.

Novotny was a 2007 graduate of J.H. Rose and had been a nursing student at Pitt Community College. His parents tell us they had just bought the car for him in December.

According to witness statements the Civic was traveling south in the left travel lane of Charles Blvd. when it crossed over two lanes and struck head-on a SUV that was traveling north in the right travel lane of Charles Blvd.

Monday night, police said the driver of the SUV, now identified as Fritscher, died at the hospital as a result of his injuries. The driver of the car, now identified as Novotny, died at the scene of the wreck.

Police said no further information was available at this time, including the cause of the wreck.

Previous Story:
The scene of a fatal accident in Greenville was open to traffic Tuesday morning, as investigators try to determine what caused the head-on collision.

Greenville Police said Tuesday that the process to notify the families of the two men killed went late into the night, and they could not confirm if that process was completed. Officials expected an update on the wreck, including the identities of the victims, later Tuesday morning.

According to witness statements a small passenger car was traveling south Monday evening, in the left travel lane of Charles Blvd. when it crossed over two lanes and struck head-on a SUV that was traveling north in the right travel lane of Charles Blvd.

We'll update you on the wreck report as soon as police release it.

Previous Story:Two people are dead following an accident Monday afternoon in Greenville.

The accident happened just before 6:00 p.m. when an SUV collided with a sedan on Charles Boulevard between Thackery Drive and Hyde Road.

Police say both drivers, both men, were killed. There were no passengers in either vehicle.

According to witness statements a small passenger car was traveling south in the left travel lane of Charles Blvd. when it crossed over two lanes and struck head-on a SUV that was traveling north in the right travel lane of Charles Blvd.

The driver of the passenger car was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the SUV was transported to PCMH where he later died.

At this point, police say the identities of both victims are being withheld pending the appropriate notifications. More detailed information regarding the makes and models of the vehicles involved will be released as soon as it becomes available.

The investigation is continuing by members of the Greenville Police Department Traffic Safety Unit.

Charles Boulevard was closed between Thackery and Turnbury Drive.

Stay with WITN and witn.com for updates.

• by laura Location: greenville on May 19, 2011 at 07:32 PM
    I was heartbroken to learn that Andrew was Beth's fiance. I was at the scene when it happened, and I wish things would have turned out differeently. Beth and Alex are rare people; sweet, compassionate, loving, bright and cheerful people that you can't help but love. Beth is the kind of mom that cheers for the kids on both ball teams, and you can't help but enjoy her company. My thoughts and prayers are with Beth and Alex, who both still grieve the loss of Andrew deeply.
  • by Amazed Location: Greenville on Mar 4, 2011 at 05:48 PM
    I am constantly amazed at the responses which are submitted. 1. The Police are unable to determine WHY Mr.Novanty's swerved across 2 lanes. They know his car did swerve. 2. An autopsy after such a severe tramatic event may not show underlying medical conditions. In case you have not noticed this is NOT a TV show - sometimes you cannot get all the answers.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 4, 2011 at 01:00 PM
    What do you mean they don't know?! YES THEY DO! Novotny's car went out of his lane and into the vehicle of the other man and caused his death?! Why are they saying they DO NOT KNOW? UM, YES - YOU DO.
  • by Curious investigation closed Location: Gville on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    Curious why the GPD have closed the investigation, as would think there was an autopsy to determine if the young driver had a blackout or seizure or other medical problem. Very interesting as I would think this would be standard for an accident and the family would want to know. It would be helpful for all of the community to know if that were the case. Sympathy to both families but please lets get further investigation and closure.
  • by Martin County Native Location: Greenville on Mar 4, 2011 at 09:11 AM
    I remember that day when I saw police lights all the way from the Harris-Teeter parking lot, but figured someone either got caught speeding or a possible drug bust. After I heard about this, I feel very lucky, being that could have been me there at that time. I always turn left going Southeast on 14th off of Greenville Blvd. and always go by the intersection of Charles and Firetower coming back from work. I meant to turn right on Red Banks that day and then left on Charles (to get to the Food-Lion), but forgot my turn (good thing I did), meaning turn right at Firetower (and going to Harris-Teeter). I want to say my thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the two killed. I also want to say the Exchange needs a stoplight there very bad. Another intersection that needs it is where Pirate's Cove and Copper Beech come together at 10th. There are also at least 10 other changes/upgrades to the streets of Greenville I can think of that need to be done.
  • by Thought on Mar 4, 2011 at 04:50 AM
    I thought someone said the young driver suffered from seizures?
  • by Anonymous on Jan 31, 2011 at 08:34 PM
    To the people saying that the center turn lane should not be used as a merge lane, you're ignorant. Yes, it was not designed for that. However, these Pitt Co roads were also NOT designed to carry the volume they do. If you think you can cross 3 lanes of traffic on Charles at 5pm, and NOT use the center turn lane to merge into that 3rd lane, then you must be superman. However, I totally agree that people who DRIVE in these lanes to get ahead of traffic, pass, etc, deserve ticketing. BUT the honest citizen who is creeping in the center lane, WITH HIS/HER TURN SIGNAL on, waiting to catch a break... that person is doing no wrong... they're just doing what they HAVE to do... if they didn't, traffic would back up for 10 miles, because theyd never get out of the stinkin' driveway.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 31, 2011 at 08:25 PM
    I am a student living at The Landing, and in all sincerity, I would LOVE to see a stoplight go up. I can not express how many times I've seen near-collisions in this conjested area. It makes me livid to see people all piled up in this area, getting impatient, honking the horn, and creating their own rules of driving. A stoplight(s) would totally eliminate this nonsense. A human life is a human life. I had a car merge in on top of me once (many times actually), and I had to slam on brakes, nearly risking being rearended. When pulling out of The Landing, making a left onto Charles, you MUST use the turn lane as a merge lane.... or you aren't going anywhere... regardless of what it's designed for. The problem: The Hyde park turn is IN THAT "MERGE LANE" that the student HAVE to use. People turning left into Hyde MISS their turn due to cars exiting The Landing, using the lane. Long story short, NC, PUT UP A DAMN STOPLIGHT, PLEASE.
  • by What on Jan 31, 2011 at 06:48 AM
    To: Mayneverknow... Was this accident caused by the younger driver having a seizure? My prayers go out to all!
  • by ST Location: irrelevant on Jan 29, 2011 at 06:01 PM
    Beth, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I haven't seen you in many, many years, but from what I remember you were always a great friend. Any man you chose to spend your life with, I'm sure, was very special. As loving as he was he would probably want you to endure this and live your life for days of happiness.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114516309 - witn.com/a?a=114516309