Update: Two-Alarm Fire In Washington Restaurant

By: Chris Jones
By: Chris Jones

Fire officials now know what caused a restaurant in Washington to go up in flames on Saturday.

They say the call came in around 2:00 Saturday afternoon that Blackbeard's Restaurant and Lounge on Carolina Avenue was on fire.

Officials say the area of origin of the fire was determined to be in an office and the cause was determined to be electrical.

Officials report there was a total of approximately 30 firefighters on the scene from Washington and Bunyan Fire Departments and the estimated damage to the structure was approximately two hundred thousand dollars

Previous Story:

Fire fighters are battling a two-alarm fire at a restaurant in Washington, Beaufort County.

The call came in around 2:00 p.m. Saturday afternoon that Blackbeard's Restaurant on Carolina Avenue was on fire. Thick black smoke poured out of the restaurant and occasional flames shot up through the roof as fire fighters moved in.

The restaurant was not open at the time. Owner A.G. Swanner says an employee was met with smoke as she opened the kitchen door. She was able to get out safely and called 911.

Swanner says the building was not insured. It's been in the family 22 years.

In January, the Swanner family dealt with another fire when a compartment exploded on their dinner cruise boat, the Belle of Washington. The boat was insured.

• by AMY HARDY Location: WASHINGTON on May 16, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    I was so sorry to hear about the loss. The family worked really hard to start this business, build this business, and make it what it was. I find it quite hillarious that so many people would make so many comments that are unnecessary and pointless. I also feel it's ridiculous people even take the time to comment on "news stories". (Myself even as I am doing so today.) Have people not anything better to do? I am here to comment that I worked for the Swanner family for many years. We all have our own family drama but this family reaches out and helps others when they are in need. They help others and for some, they are the family.
  • by ReAnne Location: Washington on May 12, 2011 at 05:59 AM
    It's a shame so many will be out of work..not to mention the family atmosphere and friendly staff. Hope to see this place back up and running real soon. I worked for the Swanner family for several years and their main concern is their employees and customers. Thoughts and prayers coming your way guys. "Bump" what ignorant people have to say.
  • by good eatin on May 10, 2011 at 04:45 PM
    yes we are all gonna miss this nasty cafeteria food place
  • by Frank Sinatra Location: Heaven on May 9, 2011 at 09:30 PM
    Good food, very good service. I will miss them. I hope they can come back I always support local businesses over chain ones.
  • by Tracy Location: Washington on May 9, 2011 at 08:14 PM
    As an employee of Blackbeards it hurt to read these negative comments not only did the Swanners suffer , the employees suffered too . When the doors open back up i will be one of the first in line ready to go back to work . I was always told if you don't have anything nice to say don't say nothing at all. Too my Blackbeard family I Love You ALL
  • by Anonymous on May 9, 2011 at 03:06 PM
    what nice people we have around here! i hope they are in need one day and see who helps them!
  • by Nice on May 9, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    I spoke with the Swanners today,,, this is a terrible shock for them and true to character,,, they were not as much worried about how this has affected them as they were about those that they employed who are temporarily out of a job,,, Thank God for selfless people! To all of the Swanners, hold your heads high and blessings will always come your way...
  • by Becky Location: Washington on May 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    I'm so sorry to hear this news...my thoughts are with the Swanners, they were so good to my family when my grandma recently passed away. She worked for them for many years and the girls had a breakfast for my family after her death. Some people making comments should remember there is more to a "family business" than just business...there is family!
  • by J SWANNER Location: Vanceboro on May 9, 2011 at 09:37 AM
    Sorry for your loss! Your family is remembering you in Prayer. AND I like what CINDY had to say to the ones who have nothing good to say. Maybe more people should read a Bible! Start with Matthew 7 verses 1-5!
  • by Been There Location: Washington on May 9, 2011 at 09:16 AM
    I have known the Swanners for years and the are great people and a good freind to have. Not long ago the raised over $6,000. for a 18month old little girl for a organ transplant and over $2000. to help a lady sve her hpuse after her husband pasted away DID NOT see a write up about that! They have helped many people in a time of need. I have been in the restaurant business since the 80's and to all of those taht want to make negative comments needs to work in or run a restaurant for at least 6 months. Do you know how many people there is in the world? Well that how many ways you can cook a steak or a egg. Get a life people don't go there unless you have been there. Do you know of any other restaurant in Washington that has been operated by the same family for over 20 years? They must have been doing something right. Pray for and support the Swanner family in ther time of need as they have supported other people in their time of need. May God bless and be with the Swanner family. Hope you reopen real soon.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121440849 - witn.com/a?a=121440849