REPORT: Turnage Theater Facing Cash Crisis

A published report indicates a historic landmark in Washington is now facing a cash crisis.

Courtesy: Turnage Theater

A published report indicates the historic Turnage Theater in Washington is now facing a cash crisis.

The Washington Daily News reports the landmark just celebrated the four year anniversary of its reopening after nearly three decades in the dark. Tough times are now squeezing the theater and the foundation that runs it.

The Turnage Theater Foundation's treasurer reports they have $33,000 in bills to pay with about $6,000 of cash on hand, according to the newspaper. The paper says the financial report from the treasurer says he does not have a sustainable financial plan for next year.

• by Bada-Bing on Nov 11, 2011 at 07:15 AM
    Thrown in a few poles and problem solved. Now, thats art.
      by Awesome on Nov 17, 2011 at 08:23 AM in reply to Bada-Bing
      That sounds like a great idea!! Lets make it alot of poles.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 03:24 PM
    Mindy, where have you been? The City of Washington gave TT $22,000 and the Beaufort County gave them money, too. I just do not know how much yet. The NEA is a federal government paid for organization. Our taxes should not go to them. Let them raise money like everyone else does. In these economic times, the donors dry up and they look to government, companies-who are struggling to make ends meet, and rich benefactors. A non profit organization still must be diligent in its spending, so that it does not have a so called "cash flow problem". I think the cash flow problem is a managemennt problem. I am a businessman and I have to go to the bank if I need money to expand my business. If I am spending too much, my accountant, whom I pay, tells me I am spending too much and I am going in the red. I think the Board is not doing its job and needs to be refreshed. Can you tell me where the board refresh button is at the TT?
  • by Suggestion Location: Washington on Nov 9, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    Instead of looking for a handout, Turnage Board, why not throw out the entire board and start over. There are many organizations and churches who get far less and they are thriving. Ever hear of BarBQue to raise money, raffling off a small truck like the fire departments do. Have a raffle to give away tickets to EVERY event at the Turnage. Do something every MITS to raise money from donations, sell food, drinks, wine, beer, etc. to raise funds. Get off your butts and think outside the box. No government entity should give the TT a single cent. I agree with many posters before me. Lower your prices and get some better shows. Show old award winning movies like TV and charge a modest price, $5 for instance. Lower the prices on your concessions. Use more volunteers and lower your overhead and lower your spending like government needs to do. Run it like a business which you certainly are NOT doing if you have a cash flow problem. Just suggesting.
      by Mindy on Nov 9, 2011 at 01:18 PM in reply to Suggestion
      While you have made some good suggestions that I hope the foundation is exploring, you are making a lot of assumptions that are uncalled for. The Turnage is a non-profit and ALL non-profits struggle, particularly in an economy like this. To my knowledge they aren't looking for a handout, they are looking for DONORS, which is what non-profits DO. And as far as I know those donors they are exploring aren't "government entities", although it is perfectly acceptable to receive grants from government entities that support the arts, such as the National Endowment for the Arts.
        by Vince on Nov 9, 2011 at 04:04 PM in reply to Mindy
        Mindy, your post is somewhat erroneous. Not all non-profits are struggling. Credit unions are non-profit, and most of them aren't struggling. Using your philosophy it sounds like all we need to do it turn the Turnage over to a for-profit entity. If we do that then it should be self-sustaining and possibly profitable. Is that what you are suggesting? If so, then let's do it. Or, let's manage the Turnage in a similar fashion that would be done if it was for-profit and quit looking for handouts to sustain the theater.
  • by laura Location: greenville on Nov 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    I went to see a movie this weekend and our tickets were 20 dollars, then another 18.50 for two drinks and one popcorn. And the movie sucked. If the Turnage can get some interesting things going, I'd opt for that over the Carmike anyday. At least the Turnage doesn't smell like pee.
  • by Randy Parton Theater? on Nov 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    Does anyone see a similarity?
  • by people on Nov 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    take to cyprus landing and see what they can do with it.
  • by PHIL Location: NEW BERN on Nov 9, 2011 at 09:59 AM
    FINE ARTS WELL THE BEST RESTRAUNT IN THAT TOWN IS BILLS HOT DOGS NOTHING FINE ART ABOUT THAT THING ABOUT THE AVERAGE INCOME IN THAT COUNTY AND LET THAT GUIDE THE THE EVENTS THAT SHOULD BE SHOWING IF YOU SELL ENOUGH TICKETS YOU WILL HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO OPERATE I DONT THINK FINE ARTS MADE THE TURNAGE WHAT IT WAS IN ITS DAY
      by Huh? on Nov 9, 2011 at 02:26 PM in reply to PHIL
      What?! Can we say "incoherent"? And stop yelling!!
      by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 02:47 PM in reply to PHIL
      You write like that and still have the gall to talk disparagingly about Washington?? I think a Bill's Hot Dog is actually beyond your IQ.
      by teryakitom on Nov 9, 2011 at 03:59 PM in reply to PHIL
      Phil, I have God my heart when I say this........please stay in Craven County.....and away from a computer keyboard.
  • by Direction we are heading on Nov 9, 2011 at 09:09 AM
    Why should we keep it up? After all $10- $25. is way too much for a ticket to a theater or show, unless of course it is hip hop, rap, country, rock. Heck my $10.-$25. is much better spend on a new pair of tennis shoes, video games, mp3 player or i tunes. Now those are a bargin.
      by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM in reply to Direction we are heading
      And thus your commentary fully defines and fulfills your name....
      by To Direction... on Nov 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM in reply to Direction we are heading
      Sad, but true.
  • by Just Sayin' on Nov 9, 2011 at 09:05 AM
    The Imagination Movers are going back on tour early next year... great family act and fantastic music... the guys in the band are absolutely civic-minded individuals. I've actually pitched our theater to them not even a month or two back. Perhaps the owners of the Turnage should consider groups like this that appeal to families with young children who will spend money to see a nationally televised children's act. You can find them on Facebook. They will actually be in Charlotte next May and are still adding dates. In fact, if this tells you something, we will be traveling to Maryland to catch them and hope to buy tickets (not on sale yet) to see them again two days later in Charlotte. Yes, that is a lot of gas and dollars spent in another community. Turnage must expand it's horizons or perish. It's that simple.
  • by Scott Location: Washington on Nov 9, 2011 at 08:04 AM
    They should call Obama in to do a fundraiser, that's about the only thing he's good at doing.
      by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 09:14 AM in reply to Scott
      LOL

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133517278 - witn.com/a?a=133517278