Tsunami A Reminder The Threat Exists Here

North Carolina hasn't seen a tsunami since the 1700s, but despite that, officials say the threat exists here.

Onslow County was the first in the state declared tsunami ready, meaning specific plans are in place to deal with such a disaster.

On slow County Emergency Management Director Norman Bryson says there's good reason to be prepared. "There are potentials that we do have out there. One of them being the continental shelf, the another one being the midatlantic trench and the other one being off the coast of Africa."

Officials say the National Weather Service and the tsunami warning system has buoys along the Atlantic and Pacific coast lines that helps detect wave action coming in.

The Camp Lejeuene is the first Marine Corps base to become a tsuanmi ready facility in all of the Eastern seaboard .

• by clint on Mar 14, 2011 at 01:01 PM
    If it would just wipe the outer banks clean, never to be built on again, it would be a good thing. The beaches are hardly public any longer.
  • by IV on Mar 12, 2011 at 08:34 PM
    I agree! The Confederate flag should not be burned to ashes! Ashes are too big!
  • by Lori Location: Eastern NC on Mar 12, 2011 at 05:44 PM
    I do not mind the yankees moving here as long as they stop comparing it to the north. If you like the way things are done up north then stay up north and if you like the way things are done in the south then welcome to the south. There is a lot of transplanted yankees here that is very nice folks. As far as the comment up here about the confederate flag needs to be burned to ashes,the confederate flag is part of the south's history and if you don't like it then don't live in the south.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 12, 2011 at 04:41 PM
    The Confederate flag needs to be burned to ashes!
  • by You're Proud? on Mar 12, 2011 at 02:09 PM
    Seriously? You're proud of the time of slavery in the south and the idiocy of the confederacy.
  • by Mary Location: Martin County on Mar 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    To: Anonymous Location: South of the Mason Dixon Line Posted on Mar 12, 2011 at 12:19 AM TO: Robert E. Lee Posted on Mar 12, 2011 at 05:18 AM TO: AnonymousII Posted on Mar 12, 2011 at 06:01 AM Wow! I move here 20 years ago from Long Island, New York; where I was born. I want to thank you for making me feel so welcome here is Beautiful North Carolina. May you have a Blessed Day.
  • by Another resident Location: Simpson on Mar 12, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    Well I grew up in Greenville and I can tell you it was better back then as a small town than it is now with all the growth. We didn't have the crime & the Ghetto & the traffic headaches. I personally prefer the small town atmosphere.
  • by Dave on Mar 12, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    I agree with Yankee transplant. It's the southerners selling the land to the Yankees. That is why the north is the smartest part of the US while the south lags far behind.
  • by Resident Location: Greenville on Mar 12, 2011 at 07:38 AM
    I for one am happy to see "the Yankee" moving into our area. You can be sure Greenville would not be the growing city it is without their influence. My relatives were soldiers in the Confederate army and I am proud of that time of our history. But growth is money.
  • by Yankee Transplant Location: Greenville on Mar 12, 2011 at 06:04 AM
    Well Southerners, let me be the one to tell you that if you guys wouldn't sell your land, then there wouldn't be any yankee's moving here. You guys are the one's selling out and need to talk to your own people if you have an issue with people moving here. You are just like other groups in this country that want to blame others for the problems that you are creating. If you guys don't want people to be here, then quit selling your land to your developer friends.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117834438 - witn.com/a?a=117834438