"Truth And Hope Tour Of Poverty In NC" Begins In Beaufort County

A two-day tour of poverty-stricken areas in northeastern North Carolina is getting underway Thursday with its first stop in Beaufort County.

The "Truth and Hope Tour of Poverty in North Carolina" begins Thursday with a stop in Washington. It will then move to Roper in Washington County and later to Elizabeth City State University in Pasquotank County.

The tour continues Friday with stops in Hertford, Halifax and Edgecombe counties.

The groups that are sponsoring it include The North Carolina NAACP, the N.C. Justice Center and the UNC Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity. The tour is also planned to go to other parts of the state later this year, examining both rural counties and inner city neighborhoods.

• by Pi$$ed off taxpayer Location: Pinetown on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    So why is Bev not coming to see the fruits of her labors ? she has caused most of this !!
  • by GoodGrief on Jan 19, 2012 at 08:07 AM
    Look on the bright side.You have power and a computer.GEEZ!
  • by NC Resident Location: Farmville on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:50 AM
    I've been out of work now for 4 yrs. due to Degenerative Disc Disease.Had surgery 3 yrs. ago and still no better.I've ben living in a 8x12 shed for the past 4 yrs. cause I can't work nor can I get help from my/our Govt'.As a Tax paying Citizen I need my Benefits, ( SSI ) Medicaid.I have no running water nor do I have a working Toilet.I've asked for HELP and they turn their heads.I'm being treated like trash so I live like trash.It's sad cause I'm not the only one out there..
  • by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:36 AM
    Make no mistake. This is a "you better vote for Obama or the bad old white man will get you" tour. Racism is alive and well in this country and being nurtured by these groups.
  • by The truth... on Jan 19, 2012 at 06:49 AM
    began in 2009.... at the White House
  • by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2012 at 05:47 AM
    Is Obama going to be in the tour? How about Bev Perdue? Waste of time. We already know whose working and who is not.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 19, 2012 at 05:10 AM
    A tour; hmmm...are they taking photos and notes? Are they mapping out the supposed poverty-stricken areas? Are they interviewing residents? Are they renting a bus? How is it funded? Bottomline, what is the proposed outcome of this tour? Yep; lots of unanswered questions.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2012 at 04:50 AM
    The " Truth " is " Hope and Change " hasn't worked out too well.
  • by Kimo Location: Belhaven on Jan 19, 2012 at 03:10 AM
    And then what???

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137653863 - witn.com/a?a=137653863