Truck Driver Returns To Deadly Highway 264 Crash Scene To Remember Victims

Mark Young was told Tuesday morning he would be making the transport run along the same route that changed his life back in June of 2009. That's when while traveling on Highway 264, a vehicle driven by 54-year-old Otis Lee Jones and David Henderson Senior crossed the center line and struck Youngs tractor trailer head on.

Young stopped by the crash scene Tuesday to remember and reflect on the tragic events that happened. Young said it's taken both physical and mental help to heal in the time after the accident--as he wasn't even sure if he could continue the work he's done for so long.

"It's been a long road, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue in this business after 23 years, but I know they wouldn't want me to quit. I never had the honor of meeting these 2 gentlemen personally. That being said, I'll never forget them either, " said Young.

Young also got to thank firefighter Bryan Wallace, who Young says has kept correspondence with him ever since that accident to see how he's been coping.

• by MD. Location: Washington on Mar 10, 2011 at 04:57 PM
    Jesse.. God gave you a brain, yet it is apparent you have not quite learned how to use it. I would bet a hard thought can easily knock you down. Mr. Young, I think you showed class, as well as respect to the two deceased gentlemen and their families.
  • by jesse Location: washington on Mar 10, 2011 at 06:07 AM
    WHY is this news?Why did God give you a brain?
  • by Sarah on Mar 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    @News?...It's called a follow up story and this tragic even affected everyone involved. The next time you aren't interested in a story, don't read it.
  • by Mark Location: Illinois on Mar 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    As the driver of the truck involved, I must say to the heartless,uncaring person who posted. Why is this news. To you I can only respond with a quote that applies to you....flee from the presence of a foolish person when thou preceiveth not in him the lips of knowledge...that being said I pray our lord relieve you of your burden of ignorance...may god bless the Henderson and jones families....mark young
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Mar 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    This is a follow-up story, and I think it's been done in good taste. Bless his heart for taking time to pause and reflect on this tragedy; it must have taken everything he could muster up to return. Also hope this gives the families of the two men lost, some amount of peace, knowing that he still cares.
  • by Kimberly Location: Plymouth on Mar 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    @Kandyce...well said. You have expressed yourself beautifully. It is unfortunate that some people who question why this is news would rather hear about how the price of gasoline is going higher each day.Duh? This is something that anyone with any awareness of reality already knows.An ignorant person who questions why this is news would never appreciate seeing a story that involves such genuine human emotion.
  • by Darren Location: Kill Devil Hills on Mar 9, 2011 at 09:19 AM
    I certainly hope he will be able to live with it and not feel so depressed. I can't imagine if it was a wreck me or any of my family was in.
  • by bull Location: wash on Mar 9, 2011 at 08:33 AM
    Yes it was good to see a news article that had some true feelings involved, instead of all the articles about children being killed, ect.. I did not know any of these people but i can understand how this driver must feel.
  • by Ms. Kandyce on Mar 9, 2011 at 07:34 AM
    FIRST OF ALL DAVID HENDERSON SR WAS MY GREAT-GRANDFATHER WHO'S LIFE WAS TAKEN ON THIS HORRIBLE DAY. THIS IS NEWS BECAUSE THIS WAS A WONDERFUL MAN. WHO'S LIFE WAS TAKEN ON THIS HORRIBLE DAY. THIS WAS A MAN WHO WAS HONORABLE AND WHO HAD TOUCH MANY HEARTS AND LIVES OVER THE YEARS. INSTEAD OF BEING IGNORANT YOU SHOULD TAKE THE TIME TO GOOGLE DAVID HENDERSON SR JUST TO SEE HOW HONORABLE AND DIGNIFIED HE WAS. SOMETHING I TRULY BELIEVE YOU WILL NEVER COME ANYWHERE REMOTELY CLOSE TO COMPARE TO! FUTHERMORE, YOU BETTER WATCH WHAT YOU SAY BEFORE MAKING NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT A PERSON YOU CLEARY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. IN ADDITION, YOU NEED TO DO YOUR RESERACH BEFORE POSTING SUCH A RIDICULOUS IGNORANT COMMENT I GUESS THATS WHY YOU WERE NOT BRAVE ENOUGH TO LEAVE A NAME. IN ADDITION, IF WOULD BE IN YOUR BEST INTERST TO THINK TWICE ABOUT POSTING SOMETHING IGNORANT!!!!! IN THE MEAN TIME DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND GOGGLE THIS TERRiFIC MAN. YOU CAN REALLY TAKE SOME LESSONS FROM HIM AND THE LIFE HE LIVED !
  • by Deb Location: williamston on Mar 9, 2011 at 07:09 AM
    Because it is news! The tragic accident effected so many lives and this gentlemen showed he cared. Our world and people needs this in their lives. Come on people have a little love in your heart this gentlemen suffered too. Love and prayers for all

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117624688 - witn.com/a?a=117624688