LAW: Truck Driver Falls Asleep, Crashes On Major Highway

Lenoir County lawmen say a dump truck driver fell asleep at the wheel and crashed on Highway 70.

The single-car wreck happened in La Grange Tuesday, according to the Kinston Free Press. The paper reports David Jarman, 52, will be cited for reckless driving. Reports indicate he only had minor injuries,
even though the truck rolled on its side in a ditch.

• by Andy Location: Kinston on Sep 28, 2011 at 04:14 PM
    Anon it is not sleep apnea it is narcolepsy. Sleep apnea is when you stop breathing while asleep for short periods of time.
      by Concerned Citizen on Sep 28, 2011 at 05:55 PM in reply to Andy
      Just a little medical info for you. People with sleep apnea can fall asleep sitting there talking to you so yes he can suffer from sleep apnea and not even know it. There is more to sleep apnea, but you are correct when you say that people with sleep apnea stop breathing while asleep. My husband has sleep apnea and before it was dx he feel asleep at the wheel but thank God no one or nothing was hurt expect for a ditch.
        by Anon on Sep 28, 2011 at 06:51 PM in reply to Concerned Citizen
        Thank you for explaining this to Andy. I know what sleep apnea does to you because I have dealt with it personally. I now sleep hooked up to a cpap machine and I can tell you it makes a big difference.
  • by Anon on Sep 28, 2011 at 03:13 PM
    He could unknowingly be suffering from sleep apnea.
  • by Risk Assessment on Sep 28, 2011 at 09:13 AM
    It's the responsibility of the driver to assess his condition and if he's not able to drive don't. The problem is that the management of his company most likely cares about nothing but the bottom line, oh they'll lip service and say their driver's safety is their biggest concern, but they're lying, they only care about the bottom-line. If the driver told his boss he couldn't drive, he'd most likely would be fired. With poverty level at an all time high in this country, getting fired for doing the right thing isn't an option anymore. The only thing I can recommend is get the sleep your body requires before you get behind the wheel of a vehicle no matter what sacrifice you have to make the night before.
      by ??? on Sep 28, 2011 at 01:21 PM in reply to Risk Assessment
      But sometimes no matter what you sacrifice the night before you can't/won't get the sleep your body requires. I do agree with you about sometimes doing the right thing can be the wrong thing when it comes to work.
  • by Toni Location: east lake on Sep 28, 2011 at 04:27 AM
    Glad to hear he is ok. I know a person who was cited for reckless driving because he fell asleep. Its sad that you have an accident and probably feel bad enough without getting a ticket..I could see if he was on something but if he was just tired then it happens and he shouldnt have to deal with that either since he is going to catch it from his employer.
      by WHAT???? on Sep 28, 2011 at 06:51 AM in reply to Toni
      are you crazy? he shouldnt have to deal with that? he shouldnt have been driving if he was too tired to drive. we are all lucky he didnt kill somebody and by the sound of your comment you should stay off the road too!!!!
        by toni on Sep 28, 2011 at 08:40 AM in reply to WHAT????
        I drive just fine thank you very much. Some people have no choice...I have almost fallen asleep several times driving to work and thank God my brother was with me the one time I did or I wouldnt be here typing this. Not everyone can be so alert and awake when they are driving and Im glad you are a perfect driver and never know what its like to HAVE to be on the road when you were overly tired.
          by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:05 AM in reply to toni
          the next time you are too tired to drive do us all a favor and DONT DO IT! there are enough idiots on the road without having you half asleep behind the wheel just like the person you are trying to defend. if he would have killed 8 people would you still defend him? GEEEEZZZ, some of you people just dont get it...
          by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM in reply to toni
          So it would be better that I get fired from a job because I didnt sleep good the night before? The point im trying to make is that we cant always control everything that happens and if we dont sleep good and are tired but still have to work we have to get up and go so we dont lose our jobs then you would be complaining about how we are lazy and mooching off your hard earned money. Its a lose lose apparently with people like you.
          by In Agreement on Sep 28, 2011 at 01:19 PM in reply to toni
          Toni- I understand exactly what you are saying and agree. Parents with young children can't always get enough sleep at night and thousands of other reasons you just can't get enough sleep and still HAVE to get up and go to work in the morning or HAVE to drive home from work after a hard day. People that say "don't drive if you too tired to drive" need to understand how things are when you don't have a choice!
          by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 02:29 PM in reply to toni
          Pregnancy doesnt help with that matter either, past two nights ive been kept up and have had early appts yesterday and today. Sorry to all you drivers that are perfect and are never tired that I was so inconsoderate to get behind the wheel a little tired.
      by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 08:24 AM in reply to Toni
      What a dumb comment. He should thank his lucky star he didnt kill others and next time stay off the road if he is not prepared to drive.
        by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM in reply to
        Ive dozed off driving to work quite a few times... I dont think my work would like if I clled and said yea I didnt sleep good last night so Im gonna stay home and get more sleep. I wouldve been on the unemployment line for that.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 03:27 AM
    Sounds like an over worked barnhill truck driver.
      by Just Me on Sep 28, 2011 at 07:22 AM in reply to
      Unfortunately, most the world nowadays is running on "empty" so to speak. I know I am ! Glad there were no injuries.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130688693 - witn.com/a?a=130688693