Troopers: Woman Killed, Deputy Injured In Crash

Highway Patrol is investigating a fatal crash in Craven county where a Bridgeton woman was killed after the van she was in was struck by a sheriff deputy.

According to troopers 48-year-old Mildred Worley was driving a 16 passenger van early Saturday morning. Troopers say she dropped off clients in Havelock and was heading back to New Bern on Highway 70.

Troopers say Worley was parked in the van in the left hand lane of US 70 located east of James City. They say her lights were off.

Troopers say around 4:15 a.m. a sheriff deputy responding to a call struck the van. The van then veered off the road, flipped several times, and Worley was ejected.

Worley was killed in the crash; the deputy was injured and taken to the hospital.

Troopers are still investigating. They plan to recreate the scene.

• by Happy Location: Bridgeton on Jun 18, 2011 at 06:27 AM
    I just wanted to say before the WHOLE story comes out...that I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I have posted on here before about this story under a different name. Anyway..it pleases me to say that the TRUTH is getting ready to come out and I for one can not wait! I already know what they have found out about the wreck and I can say that Millie was not at fault. As for anything else to say...I will just wait till the story breaks. Knowing that justice is about to be served is good enough for me! I and anyone who knew Millie knew she would never just park in the lane and nap or whatever they were trying to say. She was a true professional and would do things by the book! God Bless you Millie and RIP knowing that they have finally figured out the truth about what happened to you! Now I can't wait till everyone else knows!!!
  • by Anonymous on Jun 14, 2011 at 01:27 PM
    who besides the cop who hit her says she was stopped? who besides the cop who hit her says her lights were off? this was my cousin. she was a professional driver and was working when this happened. even if all that were true were there no street lights and were there no lights on the cop car? i mean a 16 - passenger van is pretty hard to miss.
      by Anonymous on Jun 14, 2011 at 02:26 PM in reply to
      Obviously not. I'm sure the deputy wanted to run into the van and cause turmoil in his life as well as others. It was an ACCIDENT with lots of factors. This kind of thing happens daily but when it involves law enforcement all of a sudden people want to bash them. People forget these are the men and women that risk and give their lives also on a daily basis. If people feel so negatively about LEOs then they need to stop calling them. I am sorry for all that is involved but assuming the deputy is at fault is the same feeling that you feel when people are saying she was at fault. Let the NCHP do their investigations, believe it or not they are good at it! She was ejected, why wasn't she wearing her seat belt? Lots of things could be a factor so stop making ignorant statements and be there for your family and grieve without making things worse.
  • by anonymous on Jun 14, 2011 at 08:24 AM
    My thoughts and prayers go out to both families involved. May God be with you during this tragic time and help heal the pain in your hearts.
  • by Amber Worley Location: Bridgeton on Jun 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    I'm her blood daughter. This is a fact there is a cover up, we know this trust me we also have friends in high places how could you not with a women so involed in her community. The truth will come out soon. This is my Mother so please give her respect, Brad was my friend we were in jrotc together I know he has a heavy heart for he knows she loved him and vice versa. I want the truth out there that is all not for my Mother to have a tarnished name. Fact is the reported FACTS, well there are some lies out there. One very important one is yes he was responding to a call but then he was called off- therefore when this crash happened he was not responding to a call. Fact her van was thrown over 2 football fields from 1st impact. Fact a firefighter turned the engine of the van off.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 13, 2011 at 07:00 PM
    this is the most pathetic display from citizens of one town I've seen yet in life. Hello people! In one tragic turn of events the towns of New Bern & Bridgeton have suffered the loss of TWO [that Deputy is out of commission until the investigation is over, let's not forget, so he's not out there doing what he's paid to do every day. That's a loss to the town & the county] very good, very important, very caring people & all the residents of both of those communities can seem to do is point fingers of blame & refer to each other as morons & insensitive louts. Here's a suggestion, let's not post anything else unless they are words of encouragement & support to the families of a Good Deputy & a School Cafeteria Worker. The children at Bridgeton Elementary are just beginning summer break & hearing about this one the first day. There are a lot of parents who have some very tough explaining to do on this end of the spectrum, myself included. I can imagine that it's just as hard for the Deputy & his family. Why don't we all just agree to disagree. Unity on essentials, liberty on non-essentials, & charity in ALL things. My heart goes out to both families & my prayers are for a swift healing period for you all.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 13, 2011 at 06:53 PM
    and for all of you who think he was responding to a call and going "100 " you're wrong. he was NOT responding to a call. he was driving the speed limit. so thank you all for your very thoughtful opinions of the LEO's out there who take bullets for you ... ya'll are one of a kind and super special.
      by Anonymous on Jun 14, 2011 at 01:29 PM in reply to
      not with the amount of damage done to both vehicles.
      by apple24 on Jun 15, 2011 at 07:59 PM in reply to
      Anonymous, I want to know HOW YOU KNOW HOW FAST HE WAS TRAVELING????? Were you there? Were you a witness? If you were, you need to come forward. If not and you do not have this information firsthand, then you need to backoff! I am a family member, and it is ironic to me that out of all the comments on many of the blogs I have been on regarding this story, you are THE ONLY PERSON to seem to be CERTAIN of what the deputy was or was not doing! How ironic! Can you explain??
        by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2011 at 08:47 AM in reply to apple24
        how do you know he was going in excess of the speed limit? were you there? have you talked to him? ok. then shut up. let the troopers do their jobs while you attend your family members funeral. and for the other family member that stated she had so many facts - how did she get those? and since your family member is such an awesome fire fighter and amazing driver she should probably be wearing her seatbelt and driving on the highway instead of using it like a parking lot with no lights on.
      by ncapple on Jun 15, 2011 at 08:58 PM in reply to
      Anonymous, I want to know HOW YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW FAST THE DEPUTY was traveling or WHAT he was or was not doing??? Were you there? Are you a witness? if so, then you need to come forward now! If not, then you need to backoff because I assure you there is NO WAY that he was traveling the SPEED LIMIT and propelled a 4 and a half ton van over 300 feet! If he was going the SPEED LIMIT, then someone has A LOT more explaining to do! If he was traveling the speed limit, he would have had PLENTY of time to act, and she would possibly still be here. So don't tell me that he was going the speed limit because the evidence shows different. Not even I am that STUPID, so unless you were there, try a different story! I am also a family member, and if you had any clue to the real evidence of this accident, you would know that what you have stated is more than absurd!!!
        by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2011 at 08:48 AM in reply to ncapple
        why don't you go run the speed limit 55-60mph on hwy 70 where the wreck occurred in a charger, and run into a 16 passenger van and see how far you launch it.
  • by mjb on Jun 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    I'm very sorry for both families involved. Both need support and encouragement from understanding people. As Abraham Lincoln said, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt." Even when the report is done, none of you will get the answers you want. One more thing, the correct spelling is "especially."
  • by anon on Jun 13, 2011 at 07:54 AM
    how do we know the van lights were out? if van got wrecked how could you tell off or on?was there other witnesses?Im sure she just didn't park her car in left lane because she wanted to.I'm sorry for both families.Im sure it would be on tape if there was a call the officer was responding to.
  • by Native Location: Grantsboro on Jun 13, 2011 at 07:09 AM
    I just called *HP on a Pamlico County deputy last week. Not that it will do any good at all. The deputy nearly blew me off the road in a 35 mph zone with no lights, sirens, flashers, anything. I literally did not see or hear anything until he was past me and it sounded like a jet plane passed me. The HP took the info of where he was, where he was going, etc and said he would call the sheriff dept. Oh, also saw a Game Warden pulling a small utility trailer last week with no liscense plates. Wouldn't I get a ticket for that??
  • by batman Location: the bat mobile on Jun 12, 2011 at 10:26 PM
    i support the leo's out there who serve and protect. just remember not everyone can walk away happy. mr. tabor you are in my thoughts and prayers. batman's got your back!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123687374 - witn.com/a?a=123687374