Troopers Urge Drivers To Put Down The Cell Phones

The accident where a Chocowinity teenager was killed where Highway Patrol says texting was a factor is a tragic reminder of how dangerous it can be to take your eyes off the road, whether you're texting or are distracted in some other manner.

Even after legislators passed the law of no texting while driving researchers say one in four teen drivers still do it.

Parent John Buck says, "There is nothing that you could put in a text that's worth dying over so the best thing to do is wait and do it when you get parked somewhere."

According to a Virginia Tech study, teen drivers are four times more likely than adults to get into car crashes due to talking on a cell phone or texting- and for Highway Patrol it's something they say they deal with often. Sergeant Kevin Respess says, "We stress over and over and over again keep your eyes on the road, there are a lot distractions out there today...texting is one of the biggest ones were dealing with right now."

Buck says he will stress no texting in the car to his two children. "The best thing to do is teach them what the consequences are, when you see a story on the news say look that's what happens when you do that."

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation 28-percent of teen drivers say they text while they drive. 5,500 people were killed last year due to distracted driving and most of those deaths were drivers under the age of 20.

• by Justin Biebers Wifey Location: Wally-World on Jan 23, 2011 at 05:20 PM
    hey i thinkthat this is tragic R.I.P. Sarah Gray Edwards you will be missed!
  • by you are a rude yankee on Jan 18, 2011 at 05:34 PM
    I am a born and raise southerner and I would like to say to yankee transplant, that you are taking the death of a wonder teenage girl that was from the south and you are being completely out of line and very rude. I guess you did not have any problems up north. NO shootings or accidents no problems at all uh? You moved down here for a reason didn't you? Then stop your complaining. If you really wanted to do something conservative with your time reach out to this family or other teens instead of banging on your keyboard with Bubba. And by the way I have been up North and when I returned home I promised I would never ever ever return. Rude Hateful Nasty At least in the South we do speak.
  • by Sick of this Location: Chocowinity on Jan 10, 2011 at 08:40 AM
    I think all of these comments that I have read are valid. Except, that people are blaming teenagers. Let's not forget the family of the latest crash and edit your rude and insulting comments. After all, they are in tremendous pain over their loss. I agree with the text ban for ALL ages. Just be kinder when responding. Also, all people from NC or the South are NOT bad drivers.
  • by AMAZING on Jan 8, 2011 at 09:35 AM
    Do you know it is amazing, that I have lived 67 years, and still can have a good life, work, shop,and visit people without using a cell phone. This generation cannot even go to the bathroom these days without one. Amazing!
  • by IfeellikeYankeeTransplant on Jan 8, 2011 at 07:56 AM
    If we all just lived in the North then there would be no cell phone or snow driving issues PERIOD!! People from where YankeeTransplant are from do not have any issues and because of this I think I will move up there! Dave...oops YankeeTransplant - I'm driving, can I give you a lift up there too...I would love to drop you off and leave you back in your element where things are rosy nice and peachy keen all the time
  • by re: Smart@5:37 on Jan 8, 2011 at 07:52 AM
    I AGREE!! Since when do we need these devices anyway? Don't get one and don't use one...carry a dime in your pocket so you can use the pay phones if necessary...but be prepared to wait as the illegals will have a line there to use the pay phone...oops I just dipped back 10 years as even illegals have cell phones nowadays...I digress ;)
  • by To: Wilma on Jan 7, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    Does Fred know you are leaving these long posts? Who is watching Pebbles while you type?
  • by Pigpen Location: NC on Jan 7, 2011 at 07:42 PM
    The thing that gets me is how many people cant do but one thing at a time. If you cant talk on the phone and pay attention to the road then dont do it. Its not that hard to talk and drive and still be able to pay attention, im not the most brilliant person in the world but I sure dont have a problem with doing more then one thing at a time and still know what im doing. Next if you see a trooper on the phone I will say 8 times out of 10 they are trying to get something straight with another trooper exspecially if they are looking at the computer as well, they are able to do more then one thing at a time and still pay attention. There is no need for people to be wanting to stop cell phone use while driving, texting I will agree with but not talking, people just need to understand that it is the new age and cell phones are a vital part of the working environment, if you cant talk and pay attention then dont, if you can then carry on. If it wasnt for duct tape and cells what would we do.
  • by S Location: ENC on Jan 7, 2011 at 06:29 PM
    This problem boils down to one thing...parents do not know how to be parents anymore...they are much more interested in being their kid's "buddy" who buys them anything their heart desires,whether it is good for them or not,as long as it keeps the kids out of their hair....Teaching discipline,responsibility & hard work is too foreign a concept for so-called parents these days...No wonder this country is in the shape its in now...I see it every day...the kids are in control,not the parents.
  • by Hey Walkie Talkie on Jan 7, 2011 at 05:57 PM
    you forgot the steering wheel.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113051374 - witn.com/a?a=113051374