Troopers Say Traffic Deaths Down Over New Years

The Highway Patrol says traffic deaths over the New Year's weekend were almost half of what they were a year before.

Troopers say there were six deaths from Friday through Sunday on North Carolina highways, compared to 11 last year. They say three of the crashes involved people not wearing seatbelts, while three were cases where victims were suspected of using alcohol.

People died in accidents in Beaufort, Brunswick, Edgecombe, Henderson and Lee counties.

Through December 31st, the Highway Patrol says preliminary numbers show 968 people were killed on the state's highways during 2010.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Puzzled on Jan 5, 2011 at 09:20 AM
    So only 6 lives were lost,,,the lives of several families turned upside down. Should we be happy? The truth is, we have become too complacent about automobile deaths. There should be none,,ever. Roads are good enough and automobiles are being built safe enough that there should be no fatal accidents. Driver attitude is the problem. "Slow down and live" and "let others live"
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112941469 - witn.com/a?a=112941469
Gray Television, Inc.