Trooper Released From Hospital After High Speed Accident

A North Carolina Highway Patrol Trooper is out of the hospital after a car accident during a high speed chase, according to the Roanoke Rapids Daily.

Scott Richardson, 41, of Roanoke Rapids, was trying to overtake a speeding Hummer on Highway 158 near Littleton. He swerved to avoid hitting a pedestrian, which sent his patrol car off the road on onto its side.

Richardson suffered minor injuries, but was treated and released.

• by Halifax county citizen Location: Roanoke Rapids on Jun 7, 2011 at 07:22 PM
    What if??? you lived on the highway the speeding vehicle was traveling. I do. I live about 1 mile from the wreck site. This is a three lane highway where the public has nothing but disregard for the speed limit. I have to back onto the highway from my drive & have to worry about these speeding citizens endangering my family. They also use the turning lane to pass your vehicle at high rates of speed. I commend the trooper for trying to stop this vehicle. Yes sometimes people are put in harms way in pursuit of criminal elements but we need for people to be more aware of the welfare of others and abide by the speed limit.
      by Scott on Jun 8, 2011 at 05:32 AM in reply to Halifax county citizen
      Maybe instead of speeding even faster to catch them they set up like they do on I40 and I've seen on Hwy 24. One Trooper clocks them and another down the road stops them without having to speed excessively to stop them. The point is when they speed (even faster than the speeders they want to ticket) they are just as much a danger if not more.
  • by reallypeople? Location: Kinston on Jun 7, 2011 at 02:22 AM
    I cannot believe the comments that I am reading from most of you. Hypothetical situation: Your child is driving, going to a friends house. There is a LEO driving 2 miles in front of her. About 6 miles away coming in their direction is a reckless alcoholic driving 75 mph, swerving, running off of the road. The LEO passes the vehicle, clocks it at 75 mph, sees the vehicle swerving. He turns around in the road and proceeds to pull the car. Now, you tell me, would you want that LEO to hurry and pull that car before he reached your child, would you want him to pass it along to the next Trooper that could possibly be on the other side of the county, or would you rather that LEO to get to the speeding car before it reaches your child? Now, I understand that there is LEO out there that do not follow the laws that everyone else has to but you can not honestly blame all of those "bad apples" for the entire LEO community. There are certain situations that High Speed Chases should not be allowed but not every situation is the same. For all of the ones out there that are ready and willing to verbally bash LEO.... Take a walk in their shoes for one week and see how well you hang.
      by Scott on Jun 7, 2011 at 04:07 AM in reply to reallypeople?
      We can say "what if" all day. What if this Leo hit the pedestrians, what if he clipped the hummer, what if, what if... But I guess they have fill their ticket quota so public safety takes a back seat.
  • by Marked Man Location: Bath on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    Was it really a high speed chase or was the cop just wrecklessly speeding to write another speeding ticket? I ask, because I've gotten 3 speeding tickets in the past 24 months for going 65-67 in a 55 MPH zone on country highways. In each case, the trooper was coming towards me, and after pssing me, they hit the shoulder, turned around, and ran me down going 80-90 MPH. And in each case, I had already slowed, having seen the trooper. Do they REALLY need to drive so fast to collect money for the county? I mean, really, it would only take them about 30 more seconds to "run me down" going 65. They don't really HAVE to endanger lives by driving 90. And they always have the nerve to ask me where I'M going in such a hurry. I want to say, "The same place as you, officer. I'm going to work. But, I wasn't driving 90." Of course, the lawyers cost enough money already and I don't want to spend more. So I just keep my mouth shut. Still, it doesn't make their driving habits any less dangerous. And the officers driving habits are far more dangerous than mine. Something I think they should consider.
  • by bill Location: duplin and lenoir county line on Jun 6, 2011 at 03:14 PM
    theres a place in front of my house where one road merges another at a maybe50 degree angle. There is a stop sign. Cops of all varieties mostly troopers and sheriff deputies since its in county run that stop sign every day I should put up a camera
  • by bs on Jun 6, 2011 at 02:32 PM
    have those of you that are complaining stopped whining for a second to think about how an officer is suppose to stop, turn around and catch up to another car... with out speeding? it can't happen. then you say its just speeding leave it alone, if they dont stop people that are running 15 over then they will start running 20 because they can get away with it. 20 turns to 30 then your blaming the officers for not stopping speeders that are causing bad wrecks.
  • by toomy on Jun 6, 2011 at 01:53 PM
    Get pass every day by one just driving down the road he's speeding ,I would have got a 250.00 ticket.
  • by bob Location: obx on Jun 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    troopers should drive the speed limits like everyone else and use radios more often, call ahead to the next trooper. these guys are just as bad as the speeders. one car going 81 and another behind trying to catch up probably going 100! a speeding trooper is statisticly one of the most dangerous things on the highway
      by bs on Jun 6, 2011 at 02:36 PM in reply to bob
      there are not that many troopers on the road to radio ahead to. if you see several at a bad wreck thats because the supervisors have came out of the office and units have came from surrounding areas to help not because there are five of them always working your county at all times.
  • by Scott on Jun 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    He was probably doing 100 mph in "pursuit" of a speeder going 65 in a 55 zone. I'm tired of all the HP, County Sheriffs, and Town Cops being allowed to break the traffic laws constantly to "enforce traffic laws." So it's ok as long as you're going to write a ticket? We pay for their gas yet I see them take of from stop sign and out of drive ways like they are in race cars. The HP/Sheriffs/Town Cops could save a ton of money if they would drive like they expect everyone else to drive. If I took off like I see them take off from a stop, I'd be given some form of warning or ticket. I'd be stopped anyway. If you're lights and/or sirens aren't on you should be following the same laws the rest of us are supposed to.
      by abe normal on Jun 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM in reply to Scott
      I want to join the NCHP so I can break the law,keep my job and tear up state property!!!
        by Bring it on Jun 6, 2011 at 05:10 PM in reply to abe normal
        I would love to see you try to survive traning in Raleigh, being you know so much about it.
          by abe normal on Jun 6, 2011 at 07:28 PM in reply to Bring it
          To Bring it on:Does 1968 mean anything to you?I drove a 1968 HP 383 roadrunner(the real deal)pegged 201 mph regularly and survived!!!I also did the same driving stunts they teach todays whimpy NCHP students!!!So theres my responce to your lame comment!!!punk
          by jim on Jun 7, 2011 at 11:35 AM in reply to Bring it
          To abe normal - you say you were on the patrol in 1968 i'm guessing you were either fired or resigned to have that much hate toward the patrol.
        by Me on Jun 6, 2011 at 06:29 PM in reply to abe normal
        There is a NCGS(that stand for North Carolina General Statute) that allows law enforcement to speed in the duties of their job. So, it appears that you dont know what you are talking about. Do you really want law enforcement that cant speed and "catch" the person who robbed you or murdered your mom or did something terrible? NO YOU WOULDNT. Who cares if they speed most of them give people 9mph over the posted speed limit therefore the average person breaks the law everyday but doesnt get charged for it. Grow up!
          by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2011 at 04:03 AM in reply to Me
          A felony is quite different than speeding.
      by Scott on Jun 6, 2011 at 12:51 PM in reply to Scott
      And before anyone says I must have gotten a ticket recently; I have not had one in going on 14 years, but I also follow the traffic laws.
      by Scott is RIGHT!! on Jun 6, 2011 at 01:05 PM in reply to Scott
      Spot on comment!! If you're in pursuit of a felony crime e.g. bank robbery, etc. I can see it. However, I see SOME LEO speeding when not needed. You should see the speeds done during various transports!!
        by Yep on Jun 6, 2011 at 04:11 PM in reply to Scott is RIGHT!!
        LEO's are the worst drivers out there day to day. Give someone a little power...
      by Marked Man on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM in reply to Scott
      Me, too, Scott. I've gotten 3 tickets in 2 years for going 65-67 in a 55 mph zone. And each time, the trooper was driving 80-90 mph, EASILY, to run me down. And in each case, I had already slowed down. I wasn't trying to outrun them at all. I'm surprised they don't kill more people than they do.
        by Scott on Jun 7, 2011 at 05:39 AM in reply to Marked Man
        NCGS 20-141.5 Speeding to elude arrest This may be the "exemption" law you spoke of. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on a street, highway, or public vehicular area while fleeing or attempting to elude a law enforcement officer who is in the lawful performance of his duties. Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. (b) If two or more of the following aggravating factors are present at the time the violation occurs, violation of this section shall be a Class H felony. (1) Speeding in excess of 15 miles per hour over the legal speed limit. The "perp" met no other criteria stated above and I seriously doubt he was "eluding" the officer, the driver probably didn't even know the LEO was after him. If this is not the statute, please tell me which one it is... Thanks!
  • by Jerry Location: Pactolus on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    Other reports say he was trying to pass the Hummer to catch up with another vehicle that was speeding.
      by Scott on Jun 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM in reply to Jerry
      And people wonder why the public respects LEO's less and less. They'd put themselves, other motorist, and pedestrians on the road in danger to get that $250 dollar speeding ticket written for the state/courts. He was doing 81 and the "perp" was probably running 65 in a 55.
  • by LEO on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    The trooper had turned around on a Silver Dodge Charger running 81mph. While attempting to catch up to the subject, he had to pass a Hummer. As he was passing the Hummer, two people were walking in the roadway. The trooper then had to swerve to miss the subjects and ended up in the tree line. The trooper flipped end over end and landed on his side after hitting multiple trees. These stories are becoming more vague every time I read them. Please WITN, tell the whole story.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123214483 - witn.com/a?a=123214483