NEW INFO: Trooper Involved In Fatal Wreck Speeding

A crash report says a state trooper was driving over the speed limit when his cruiser struck a woman's car, killing her.

The accident happened Tuesday night on Highway 301 in Rocky Mount.

The Highway Patrol says Maurilia Solis Leon, 59, pulled out of the Golden Corral parking lot in front of Trooper A.S. Samuel late Tuesday night. Troopers say witnesses told investigators they saw the trooper swerve to try to miss Leon's car, but was unable to. She was hit on the driver's side.

The crash report, which was released today, says the trooper's vehicle was estimated to be traveling at 53 miles per hour when it hit the woman's car. The speed limit is 45. The trooper's cruiser traveled 141 feet before stopping.

The Highway Patrol also released the cruiser's dash cam video. It appears the woman's car was almost stopped in the middle of the northbound lanes, attempting to cross over to the southbound side, while the accident report indicates the trooper's cruiser did not slow down.

Witnesses told investigators they saw the trooper swerve to try to miss Leon's car, but was unable to.

Trooper Samuel remains on administrative duty.

Previous Story

A state trooper has been placed on administrative duty after he was involved in a crash that killed a woman in Rocky Mount.

Leon died of her injuries. The Patrol says Samuel was taken to Nash General Hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

No charges have been filed and the Highway Patrol says Samuel's change in status is "customary practice in all critical incidents." The investigation is continuing.

• by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:16 AM
    This is crazy. She stopped in the middle of the lane with cars coming towards her! This is the usual North Carolina driving. I expect everyone to stop and heed my recklessness! Use your turn signals! Use your brains, don't stop in the middle of the road and expect everyone else to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the family finds solace in prayers and I hope that the trooper will find solace also. Drive careful, follow the rules of the road.
      by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 09:16 AM in reply to
      Amen.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 02:40 AM
    I think what annoys most people is that if it was anyone else, they'd be charged and in jail. This trooper most likely won't be charged and will go back out on the streets with the "Oh, he'll have to live with it for the rest of his life" sentiment.
  • by Native Location: Grantsboro on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    Well I've held my peace long enough. Please tell me what is wrong with citizens expecting law enforcement officers to set the example and obey the very laws they are there to enforce? Yes, speed when you are going to a call, thats fine, but dont go so fast that it sounds like a jet just passed me on the road. And dont speed any other time. If you dont want to be followed or filmed then dont have anything to hide. Aint that what you say when we say where's your warrant to search my vehicle? I see it almost every day. Can you not stop at that stop sign? If not dont write me a ticket when I make a rolling stop. No they're not perfect but we don't write tickets for someone doing the same thing we're doing. Think about it and just start watching.
      by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:20 AM in reply to Native
      You should include your name and address so when you call for help they DON'T respond to the call! The law enforcement agencies keep us safe, they are also human.
        by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM in reply to
        They need to abide by the law too! A badge does not give one the right to live outside of the law. They should be example setters! Personally, I live out in the country and don't need them. I have guns and am fully capable of taking care of my own business.
        by Native on Mar 21, 2012 at 05:36 AM in reply to
        You are part of the problem. Who said anything about not needing them or bashing them? You would be better off living in North Korea or Russia where the authorities definately do not have to abide. Please go there as quickly as possible.
  • by Concerned on Mar 18, 2012 at 03:46 PM
    I am sick of these cops doing whatever they want with their cars - including speeding, u turns, tailgating, etc. Unless they have their lights and siren on, they need to obey the same rules of the road as everyone else is expected to obey!
  • by Anna on Mar 13, 2012 at 04:33 PM
    Watch the video. Even if he was going the speed limit, this was unavoidable. She was sitting in the middle of the road and you couldn't even see her, until it was too late. This is so tragic for her family, as well as the trooper, who will have to live with this event, the rest of his life. Please respect those that risk their lives to serve us.
      by Pam on Mar 13, 2012 at 06:36 PM in reply to Anna
      by m on Mar 18, 2012 at 06:44 PM in reply to Anna
      If Deputy Trooper was driving the posted limit then she may have survived, I did say may have. Look like NC is going to pay out for his lack of judgement, Great.
  • by get real on Mar 13, 2012 at 03:57 PM
    You "people" who want to record bad cops must the same ones that love conspiracy theories. You see bad cops everywhere and don't want to evn consider that there are good cops also. No, I'm not a a cop, just someone who respects all Emergency Services workers. Come back to reality now.
      by Anonymous on Mar 14, 2012 at 08:42 AM in reply to get real
      Unfortunately it only takes a few bad ones to taint the opinion of all of them.
  • by Pam Location: Manteo on Mar 13, 2012 at 01:55 PM
    I would like to know how many people who have commented on this subject have not gone 8 miles over the speed limit. I guarantee if you were speeding and someone pulled out in front of you you wouldn't think your speed contributed to the wreck. I'm sick and tired of our troopers who dedicate their lives to protecting the citizens of North Carolina getting stabbed in the back by citizens and most of all by the Highway Patrol itself. Put yourself in his place. He's going to have to live with this the rest of his life which is punishment enough. As the wife of a trooper, those with ignorant comments couldn't fill the shoes of Trooper A S Samuel or any other trooper for that matter.
  • by Lee on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    He was speeding, but she was sitting in the middle of the road; dash cam video clearly shows that. So sad.
  • by Cop Bashers on Mar 13, 2012 at 05:56 AM
    Most of you sound like a bunch of cop bashers. My opinion is the guilty dog barks the loudest. Most people that do not like police officers have a reason and it usually had to do with their own guilt. You are part of what is wrong with society folks!
      by Not true on Mar 13, 2012 at 08:12 AM in reply to Cop Bashers
      I don't like "dishonest" police, which seems to be the increasing norm.. You sound like a cop trying to hid something. That deserves bashing and prosecution in my opinion.
  • by Jeff on Mar 12, 2012 at 08:42 PM
    Even though the Trooper was speeding 8 miles over, the person whom pulled out should have still seen his car coming. People pull out everyday in front of people without looking and this was unfortunate that this lady died as a result of this accident but this should be a lesson to all to be more attentive while operating a motor vehicle on public highway's. I sympathize with the loss of this lady with her loved ones and do not wish this upon anyone, but at the same time I hope this Trooper is allowed to return to full duty. Everyday across this nation Law Enforcement is doing great things serving and protecting. We all accept risks whether we realize it or not everytime we decide to drive our motor vehicles on the highway. Some become to comfortable by texting and driving, applying make up or even reading the newspaper going down the road as I saw a couple days ago. Complacency kills!!
      by RG on Mar 13, 2012 at 03:00 AM in reply to Jeff
      Must have been going to Greenville from Goldsboro Sunday on Hwy 13,I saw someone reading a paper also while driving. A little scarely when you see someone coming at you and all you see is newpaper in the windsheild.I wish people would put their cell phone down and use two hands to drive and give a turn signal !

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 141734783 - witn.com/a?a=141734783