Time To Get Your Flu Shot

It's flu season again and officials are recommending getting the flu shot as soon as possible.

The vaccine has been available since the beginning of August and so far no cases have been reported in the state.

Recently signs have been popping up outside of many pharmacies that walk-in flu shots are available.

The Craven County Health Department is having a flu shot clinic this Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and is by appointment only.

• by It's time for a flu pandemic on Sep 27, 2011 at 08:48 AM
    I'm trucking with the trucker. Thise darn flu shots rock my world- big time. Something is going to take me out of this world one day. Natural selection baby! There are too many people on the planet anyway. Now, go get your flu shots.
  • by A Little Wiser Than You on Sep 27, 2011 at 06:53 AM
    So know it all what's in some of the other things you take to get well....or haven't you researched that? Or are you like Trucker Man you don't EVER take anything from a nasty ole doctor??? I can see you right now at the doc's office, hold on Doc I need to read the ingredients before you prescribe that to me......funnnnnnny.
  • by One single flu dose on Sep 27, 2011 at 05:54 AM
    Formaldehyde, Gentamicin Sulfate, Latex, Polysorbate 80, Thimerosal, Ovalbumin (egg), Egg protein, Influenza A virus hemagglutinin, Influenza B virus hemagglutinin, Octoxynol-10, alpha-tocopheryl, Hydrogen succinate, Hydrocortisone, Sodium deoxycholate. You really want all that stuff that could cause cancer injected into you?
      by I'm Paranoid Now! on Sep 27, 2011 at 06:22 AM in reply to One single flu dose
      Oh Gawd!! Now you scaring me too death!! Cancer v/s Flu?! I don't want either!!! Can we get an REAL doctors unadulterated TRUTH here!!!
        by Anonymous on Sep 27, 2011 at 08:49 AM in reply to I'm Paranoid Now!
        Doctors don't know what is in what they just push what the drug companies tell them to push.
      by Come on... on Sep 27, 2011 at 07:00 AM in reply to One single flu dose
      Really....did you research this. Egg protein...do you realize you eat this when you eat eggs? Hemaglutinin is nothing but some proteins on the outside of the flu virus cell and is not cancerous. If so then everyone that got the flu vaccine could be at increased risk for cancer. Thimerosol is in the flu shot but has never been shown to cause cancer. If it is an issue for you then try this ask for a thimerosol free vaccine. They make those. And by the way....thanks for putting me and my family at more risk since I take it you will not be getting your vaccine.
      by Do I want it on Sep 27, 2011 at 07:05 AM in reply to One single flu dose
      Absolutely!!! I'll take everything you listed if it protects me from the flu strains spreading through the world today. Good luck with the Nyquil or Theraflu if it hits you....wait you'd better run out and check the ingredients on that stuff too.....lol.
        by Anonymous on Sep 27, 2011 at 08:52 AM in reply to Do I want it
        And if I don't get the flu even though I did not take the shot, am I still a horrible person? You have a right to put in your body what you want and so do I.
          by Do I want it on Sep 27, 2011 at 10:06 AM in reply to
          I don't read where me or anyone else is forcing the issue on you. You might want to go have your reading comprehension evaluated.
  • by RN on Sep 27, 2011 at 05:25 AM
    I didn't used to get the flu shot but after having my son, I started. It became bigger than myself and had someone else to protect. If you don't want the flumist then get the shot. Image the families of people who died from the flu. I'm sure they would give the vaccine if it meant that their loved one would still be here. Fact is many people die every year from the flu. Protect yourself and your families. Be blessed.
      by Anonymous on Sep 27, 2011 at 06:40 AM in reply to RN
      Think of the families that have had people die and suffer due to side effects of the vaccine.
        by A Little Wiser Than You on Sep 27, 2011 at 06:59 AM in reply to
        A fractional few have died from the vaccine compared to how many that die from the flu. Your chances of getting hit by lightning are greater so please stay indoors.
  • by anon Location: washington on Sep 27, 2011 at 02:52 AM
    My ex-husband took our son to the doctor last week and had the doctor give him the flumist vaccine. After my son started running a fever of 101.8, I knew immediately what had caused it. Turns out the flumist unlike the shot is actually a live virus. Essentially he was given the flu. I was not a happy camper. Please know what the effects can be when making these decisions.
      by A Little Wiser Than You on Sep 27, 2011 at 03:14 AM in reply to anon
      Did you know the effects before letting you son take the vaccine? Why are you complaining about a little flu symptom anyway when they tell you you may experience it when you get it? It's still better than a full blown case of the flu.
      by Thanks for sharing the flu on Sep 27, 2011 at 04:58 AM in reply to anon
      Did you also know that for the next few weeks this child will be spreading the live flu virus everywhere he goes.
        by Safe Than Sorry!! on Sep 27, 2011 at 06:07 AM in reply to Thanks for sharing the flu
        Oh Lordy!! What do we do? Get a shot or not get a shot? I've been getting one for severals years and last year I did not and guess what?! I got the FLU!! I will not risk that again.. I was a FLU MESS!!
      by you should have been told on Sep 27, 2011 at 05:58 AM in reply to anon
      For at least 21 days after receiving FluMist, avoid close contact with anyone who has a weak immune system caused by disease (such as cancer, HIV, or AIDS), or by certain medicines such as steroids, cancer chemotherapy, or radiation treatment. A person with a weak immune system can become ill if they have close contact with you after you have recently received FluMist. Hope you plan on keeping your child home for the next 3 weeks to keep others from getting sick.
      by Not the Flu... on Sep 27, 2011 at 06:56 AM in reply to anon
      Yes the flumist is a live virus....however it is an extremely weakened version. That being said the flumist is more effective at preventing the flu since it is a live virus. The fever is the bodys reaction to the flumist. No it is not the flu. The good news is that you know your son should be well protected from the flu. Please research things before making assumptions.
  • by too early on Sep 27, 2011 at 02:25 AM
    It's actually a few weeks too early to get your flu shot. If you get it this early, the effectiveness will be worn off by the peak of flu season in February. Check your facts, WITN.
      by A Little Wiser Than You on Sep 27, 2011 at 03:10 AM in reply to too early
      How about explaining why the pharmacies, doctors, and hospitals are offering the flu shots NOW??? I guess they didn't get the same information that was passed along to you.
        by too early on Sep 27, 2011 at 07:22 AM in reply to A Little Wiser Than You
        my doctor's office, Physicians East, is recommending not getting the flu shot this early. MONEY has more to do with it than anything as to why the pharmacies are offering them now.
          by A Little Wiser Than You on Sep 27, 2011 at 08:30 AM in reply to too early
          Well I'm confused now since my wife works at a hospital and they have vaccinated ALL their employees for FREE. It's quite obvious that they must not know as much as you do.
  • by Retired Trucker Location: Trenton, N.C. on Sep 27, 2011 at 01:41 AM
    My Creator did not leave anything out when I was created, I'll not have anything man-made put in my body. Fifty years without it, I don't need it now, so drug companies can make a buck!
      by A Little Wiser Than You on Sep 27, 2011 at 03:08 AM in reply to Retired Trucker
      Is that right....so you don't take any meds or even an aspirin for pain. You're the only one I know that The Creator made perfectly other than his own Son. Just so you know The Creator also made those wonderful researchers, doctors, and the ingredients that are in the vaccines and other meds. It ain't always about a buck either.
      by Really? on Sep 27, 2011 at 06:53 AM in reply to Retired Trucker
      Yes God is perfect and did make us in his image. However, God also made us with brains so that we could create medications and medical procedures to protect us. Thinking otherwise would assume that God made us stupid and then he is stupid.
  • by RN Location: greenville on Sep 27, 2011 at 12:30 AM
    seriously, millions of people get the flu shot every year with no side effects what so ever. research shows the vaccine saves millions of lives every year! Go get your flu shot today!!!!!
  • by Anonymous on Sep 26, 2011 at 09:29 PM
    You'll have to catch me first.
      by Heres to you.... on Sep 27, 2011 at 06:57 AM in reply to
      I bet once you have the flu (not the common cold that people call the flu) you will start getting your flu vaccine. Plus thanks for putting all of us others at risk.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 26, 2011 at 09:17 PM
    Is there anyone that actually goes in and gets one? I've never done that myself and only ever hear horror stories of people getting sick or suffer something more serious after they get a shot.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130607083 - witn.com/a?a=130607083