Tideland EMC Crews Headed To Hardest Hit Areas Wednesday

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

Tideland EMC says it has quadrupled its workforce to repair power outages. Wednesday and Thursday, a majority of Tideland repair crews and tree trimmers will be sent south of the Pamlico River to tackle what appear to be the hardest hit areas: Crystal Beach, Hickory Point, Oriental, Kennel's Beach and Fairfield Harbour.

Tideland Electric says it has now restored service to 42% of its electric system two days after Hurricane Irene assaulted the co-op's service area.

According to Tideland spokesperson Heidi Smith, "We have effectively quadrupled our existing workforce by mobilizing more than 160 tree trimmers and line crews. Today we received linemen from South River EMC in Dunn and Central EMC in Sanford. Tomorrow we will receive additional crews from Randolph EMC in Asheboro. We've also brought in contractors with specialized vehicles to help move equipment through waterlogged areas.

At the height of the storm, Tideland lost 99 percent of its electric system. Ocracoke Island and mainland Dare County fared far better than expected. Damage is most severe along shorelines closest to the mouth of the Pamlico and Neuse Rivers where Hurricane Irene momentarily stalled creating historic storm surge. In some Tideland served areas, homes were swept off their foundations.

What wasn't moved by water was battered by wind, and in Hyde County the co-op lost a transmission pole built to winds in excess of 130 miles per hour.

Ocracoke Island is back on generator power today after repairs were made to the unit which failed yesterday. Island residents could be dependent on the generator for quite a while as officials ponder the fate of Highway 12 on Hatteras Island which provides transmission service to Ocracoke.

Progress Energy made temporary repairs on Sunday so transmission service could be restored to Tideland's Pamlico County substation but then took a planned outage Monday night to make permanent repairs to the high voltage line. As a result, power was out for approximately one hour to areas previously restored in Pamlico and Craven counties and Beaufort County south of the Pamlico River.

Tideland EMC is a member-owned distribution cooperative serving 22,800 accounts in Hyde, Beaufort, Pamlico, Dare, Washington and Craven counties.

• by Tricia Location: 4123 Florence Rd Merritt on Sep 1, 2011 at 05:17 PM
    We have had a crew out Tues fixed our lines and pulled out transformer down said they'd be back before midnight (no show) Wed a Tideland employee that lives nearby came all the way up the driveway to see what was up and said there were plenty of transformers and he promised he would be back today day 6 still no power
  • by Kathy Location: Washington on Sep 1, 2011 at 07:16 AM
    I live next to BCCC...when I left home this am still not power...is there any speculation as to when we will have lights????? Tideland....thank you for your good work....there are many of us out there in need....
  • by Plymouth Location: Plymoutgh on Aug 31, 2011 at 03:29 PM
    I'd like to thank Tideland for the excellant Job they did to ignore the customers in Washingon County in favor of other Areas. Hope the northerner with beach property can vote in the Governor's election. I Think she will need it.
  • by Dave Location: bath on Aug 31, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    I haven't seen any Tideland trucks. I have seen plenty of Washington Utilities trucks all around me (I'm on the line between the two). I spoke to a Washington worker in Bayview. He asked if I had power and laughed when I said I was with Tideland. He thought I lived there and was asking people he saw to make sure as that area was coming back up.
  • by Lois Location: Pinetown on Aug 31, 2011 at 09:15 AM
    Does anyone no when Long Ridge Rd in Pinetown will have power back.This is are 5th day
      by Anonymous on Aug 31, 2011 at 03:37 PM in reply to Lois
      When I called them on Monday they said that no one on Long Ridge Road had called to notify them that we didn't have power. So we got put on the bottom of the list. They will not be able to get to us before Friday.
  • by Charlie Location: west of Oriental on Aug 31, 2011 at 06:29 AM
    I have not seen ONE Tideland truck anywhere around the Oriental/Arapahoe area SINCE THE STORM. NOT ONE. Where are they?? Progress Energy seems to be all over this, unlike Tideland.
  • by Creswell Location: creswell NC on Aug 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    I have been listen to the radio the whole time the storm came through and after. Everyone is talking about all these other places, but I have not heard anyone say anything about little old Creswell. We are flooded and have no power. There are people who can't get out due to so much water. It gets expensive to run a genarater after a while. I am being patient and thank the lord for the bareable weather we have. I am very grateful I haven't lost my home. be did get a little damage. People use to do this back in the day and we have gotten truely spoiled by the way we live in lifetime. We need to learn not to take advantage of all the great things we have. Be grateful for what you have there are some people in worst shape than you are. Look around you once or twice and thank god for what you have.
  • by Curious Location: Wilson on Aug 30, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Does anyone know if Belhaven has lights yet. We have property eight miles from there just worndering on the status
  • by k Location: core point on Aug 30, 2011 at 09:03 AM
    don't forget core point, we were hit hard during the hurricane and then again last night by either a super cell storm or little tornado.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 30, 2011 at 08:04 AM
    My house has no power and they are sending all their people somewhere else. Cant they divide the workforce so people who are still without power wont have to wait another week to get it back?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128651888 - witn.com/a?a=128651888