The Buzz On Bees

This week is National Pollinator Week and a beekeeper in Tarboro wants to bring more awareness about the importance of bees in Eastern Carolina.

Beekeeper Berry Hines Sr. says honeybees pollinate one third of all fruits and vegetables that make it to our dinner table. He says North Carolina is 26% farmland so bees are needed here in our state.

Hines says the bee population is declining at a fast pace and that could create problems in the future.

Hines says, "One of the problems we have had here in Eastern North Carolina is a lot of the feral hives are dying off because of disease and different things like that and when that happens, if they get a disease or a pest in the wild, there is no one to treat them so they are dying."

Hines says there is a need for more beekeepers that maintain hives. Those bees then help farmers in the area maintain their crops.

• by Delta929 on Jun 27, 2011 at 05:34 AM
    I'm looking for someone who sells fresh "BEE POLLEN" harvested in the Edgecombe County or Pitt County area.
      by Berry Hines Sr. on Jun 27, 2011 at 09:31 AM in reply to Delta929
      Hi Delta929 Yes there are several in the are of Greenville, that carry Raw Bee Pollen. I am a Crop Pollinator, I work Crops in Edgecombe,Bertie,Martim,Wayne,Pitt,Bladen,Franklin,Johnson,and Wake counties. I follow the crops, cucumbers,strawberries,blueberries and any and all of your vine crops. email if you like beeblessedpurehoney@suddenlink.net. Berry
  • by Anonymous on Jun 27, 2011 at 02:52 AM
    We just started keeping bees this spring. And like someone said, Greenville now requires a permit and inspection. That new law almost stopped me from getting bees.
      by Berry Hines Sr. on Jun 27, 2011 at 09:39 AM in reply to
      Hi Anonynous, Hang in there, it will get better, I am blessed becaused we have a bee inspector in our bee club. I am a member of Coastal Plains Beekeepers, The inspector I know lives in Falkland, that is not to far from Greenville, he has been helpful to me, I amd my grandson started with 2 hives and now we are well over 200 hives and counting. dont get discouraged, it is a great profession or hobby, both you have to love it to bee in it. Berry
        by Vickie on Jul 21, 2011 at 09:38 AM in reply to Berry Hines Sr.
        My husband and would like to take a coues on bee hive can you tell us when and where there might be a course avaiable . We live In Hyde co.
  • by Tyee Location: Hyde County on Jun 26, 2011 at 08:42 PM
    We should take better care of our bees. Research tells me they have been around for more than 3000 years and know that it was a staple in our family diet and medicine for years. Like almost everything else some people are either afraid of them or allergic to them. My support, if it means anything, is 100 percent. Good luck.
      by Berry on Jun 27, 2011 at 09:44 AM in reply to Tyee
      Hi Tyee, You are correct, honey bees is not indigenous to america. Some Books say they were brought over by the pilgrems. I have incorperated healthy eating from the hive and it has always worked well for my family. I am not a doctor but I reccomend everyone to consult with their DR. before making any changes to their diets. Berry
  • by ryan Location: havelock on Jun 26, 2011 at 07:53 PM
    We kept two hives in Havelock when lived in the city and keep more now that we are out of the city. Bee keeping is an aging hobby. Most keepers are near retirement or older; a sad fact. We need more younger keepers to take up the hobby or there will be none left!
      by Berry on Jun 27, 2011 at 09:47 AM in reply to ryan
      Hello Ryan, Yes we are an old group, I promote beekeeping and give classes to boy scouts, church groups, schools, and anyone interested in learning about the art or they are interested in starting a hive. Berry
  • by Munchy Location: Pitt County on Jun 26, 2011 at 06:05 PM
    And through the infinite wisdom of Greenville government, they are assisting in that decline with a burdensome ordinance that discourages beekeeping within the city limits.
      by Berry on Jun 27, 2011 at 09:50 AM in reply to Munchy
      Munchy, Dont giveup but abide by the laws and you will see, it is very healthful, its like a fish tank, perpetual motion.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124573029 - witn.com/a?a=124573029