Free Chick-fil-A Prompts Tent City To Pop Up In The Cold

A tent city popped up at one Eastern Carolina city as dozens of people braved the frigid temperatures for some free food.

It happened at the Chick-fil-A on Highway 70 in Kinston, where the first 100 people into the new restaurant get free food for a year.

There were 44 tents in the parking lot in front of Lowe's Wednesday night and those in line had to cool it until Thursday morning. One couple from Florida told WITN News that this is their 66th time standing in line for a Chick-fil-A opening. Wednesday night there were 110 people in line, and a few of those were hoping ten people gave up overnight.

The line started at 6:00 a.m. Wednesday morning when the temperature in Kinston was only 16 degrees. Many of those have heaters inside their tents, while some have their tents decked out with recliners. Today's high was only 37°, while the low could bottom out around 21 tonight.

Many tell us this is one of the colder stakeouts for the free food that they can remember. Winners get a coupon book, good for 52 #1's...a Chick-Fil-A classic, with fries and a drink.

• by aye Location: Kinston on Dec 11, 2011 at 07:14 AM
    aye ok
  • by saddened-beyond-belief Location: "un"America on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    This is disgusting, why in America is there even a question to help our fellow Americans? When the Twin Towers fell, we were strong, when New Orleans fell, we were even stronger, then why when Americans are hit by unfortunate times, do we even have to ask for help?
  • by John Location: Virginia Beach on Dec 9, 2010 at 03:22 PM
    I have done this 13 times. I make my own schedule so this is like making 300 dollars in CFA money for doing nothing but playing on my laptop or phone,talking with freinds, and meeting new people. Anyone who is complaing is obviously just jealous that people like me haven't had to pay for CFA for 3 years(I started in 2007). So keep complaing people and I will keep laughing! :P
  • by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    Folks, get a grip... if other people want to do this then let them. It isn't hurting you. Would I do it as cold as it is? no, but thats my choice and I don't get a free meal each week because of the choice. Its a simple way to drum up business and it obviously is working for them.
  • by john Location: washington on Dec 9, 2010 at 11:45 AM
    Ha ha!! FREE...ff with the purchace of any large sandwich and soft drink on every third full moon Tuesday between 2:00 and 2:30
  • by Really? Location: DC on Dec 9, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    If they can wait all day for free food, I bet they don't have jobs. Given this, this indicates they are not looking for work, leading one to draw the conclusion that they are living off government help. So what happens now, they get free FAST FOOD for a year. Their health declines and become an even "larger" (pun intended) burden on society through increased health costs further down the road...
  • by wow... on Dec 9, 2010 at 09:52 AM
    you people who are complaining. get a life!!! They close on Holidays like every other restaurant. And they are not the only people who do this. Krispy Kreme has done this to for opening new stores. Instead of being on here whining go help the shut ins and homeless and elderly!!!
  • by Theresa Location: Williamston on Dec 9, 2010 at 07:00 AM
    Chick-Fil-A should save the money this would cost and open up on Thanksgining and Christmas to feed the elderly, handicap and homeless. They can even deliver to the shut-ins. They could even open up once a month for several hours and feed the hungry. After all, I think it could be used as a write-off. Then they would be showing true help for the less fortunate.
  • by In My House on Dec 9, 2010 at 05:15 AM
    Reminds me of when I camped out for NCSU basketball tickets. Valvano even bought us all pizza one time!
  • by Lisa Location: Kinston on Dec 9, 2010 at 05:01 AM
    To Smarter Than Those Idiots - I don't think most of those in line are from Lenoir County. You see folks from Lenoir County have learned how to stay at home in the warmth and receive free food via mail compliments of our generous and in deep-debt US Government.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111552404 - witn.com/a?a=111552404