Tenants Displaced From 6 Greenville Apartments After Fire

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

Several people were put out of their homes Thursday night after an apartment fire in Greenville.

Fire crews from five stations responded to a fire at South Square Apartments at 710 Patton Circle in Greenville just before 7:00 p.m. Thursday and found flames shooting high from the rooftop. No one was hurt.

Fire officials say the Red Cross is helping people displaced from six apartments, but only one apartment has major damage. The cause is still under investigation.

• by Peter Location: Survivor on Dec 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    I just want to thank everyone that was involoved, my mother, wife and daughter got out safely. Our neighbors and community were a huge blessing in this tragedy. Thank you to Red Cross, all EMS and Firemen and law enforcement, for their selfless services and compassion. Mama Bear, we will never forget you for your help as well, May God bless you and your family.
  • by London on Dec 2, 2011 at 08:26 PM
    Thanks 2 all with encouraging words during this time, 2 all the ones with the negative comments really need to stfu especially if you dont kno what is going on, and I can speak bc me & my family were one of the victims during this terrible time, please if u dnt have nuthn nice 2 say, just dnt say nuthn at all, it makes you look very ignorant !
      by Peter on Dec 4, 2011 at 11:55 AM in reply to London
      Thank you London, My family and I were living under the apartment that started the fire. My mother had 12 oxygen tanks in her room and the living room. THANK GOD that they did not explode during the fire. We lost everything; God was with us that night and truly saved us and delivered us from the hellfire. I am a Gulf-War Vet with 10 years in the Army and an unemployed Xray/CT Tech still in desperate need for a job even more now. My daughter will have a Merry Christmas even if I have to beg the world for HELP!
  • by JUST A PASSERBY Location: PATTON CIRCLE on Dec 2, 2011 at 10:57 AM
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
      by Anonymous on Dec 2, 2011 at 01:48 PM in reply to JUST A PASSERBY
      Good job Mother Bear. You should be ashamed of yourself for this scam. You tend to stretch the truth just a little. This post was low and quit trying to take advantage of people for your own benefit. I have know you too long!
  • by Brew on Dec 2, 2011 at 07:00 AM
    When a house is fully envolved before you even get there there is only so much you can do damage wise. Greenville Fire-Rescue did a great job at getting on scene and putting a fire out that could have EASILY burnt down all of the apartments on the row. Comment is in reference to MOVED in G'ville
      by MOVED in G'ville on Dec 2, 2011 at 09:00 AM in reply to Brew
      What I am saying is two years ago there was a fire in the same apartment complex. Two Friefighters stopped, pulled a man out of the burnning apartment, put the fire out. They didn't have to stop and help us. I don't know where they came from or what. I think Red Oaks was on the side of the car and there was a white fire truck here from Winterville too. Greenville Fire-Rescue did a great job that day too. We were blessed for the two Friefighter stopped to help us then or it could have been like last night. NOT trying to take away from any good job Greenville Fire-Rescue did or will do. I was just saying what happen to the two Friefighters WITN was here too that day.
        by EMT on Dec 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM in reply to MOVED in G'ville
        Think about it all the news media want to do is BASH EMS and FIRE personnel the last two or three years.
          by ryan on Dec 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM in reply to EMT
          i agree with you on that and i think they need to take one day in a ride along maybe they would see just how hard those jobs really are yall put your life on the line everyday to save people and most of the time dont even get a thank you i walked over their from pcc on my break with someone who lives in the apartments beside those and i seen their was nothing that really could be done to save the apartment from being totally destroyed from it and bashing Ems and firefighters is disrespectful and it also disrespects me cause im going to apply and train to be a firefighter soon
          by Anonymous on Dec 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM in reply to EMT
          I don't see where the news media has bashed fire and ems in this story. Those guys came up and did a great job. I was there and could not believe the whole place did not burn down. I was down by Cracker Barrel and saw the sky lit up and went down there. The firefighters that put that fire out last night have my respect for sure!
  • by Anon. on Dec 2, 2011 at 05:25 AM
    I was wondering what all those sirens were about going by my house on firetower rd. I figured someone was running from the police. Its bad people lost their homes so close to Christmas. Hopefully they had renters insurance and will be put into a new apartment and have their belongings replaced.
  • by Anon. on Dec 2, 2011 at 05:21 AM
    I was wondering what all those sirens were about going by my house on firetower rd. was about. I figured someone was running from the police. Its bad people lost their homes so close to Christmas. Hopefully they had renters insurance and will be put into a new apartment and have their belongings replaced.
  • by ryan Location: greenville,nc on Dec 1, 2011 at 08:55 PM
    i was at pcc at the time of the fire and rode up their with someone who lives in those apartments and i talked to the guy that lived in the one that lived in the one that was damaged the most and he told me how it happened i am shocked at it.
      by Anonymous on Dec 2, 2011 at 06:51 AM in reply to ryan
      Care to shock the rest of us mr insider?
        by Anonymous on Dec 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM in reply to
        Yeah, please fill us in Ryan!
  • by Moved Location: G'ville on Dec 1, 2011 at 08:21 PM
    I was there two years ago when there was a apartment fire. Two Friefighters came and pulled a man out. Put the fire out too before Greenville fire got here. I think they were driving bye and say it then stoped to help. Never saw anything about them on the news. One thing about it they stoped it from doing the damage it did this time. I'm glad no one was hurt this time.
  • by Cornpops Location: Gvegas on Dec 1, 2011 at 06:55 PM
    I saw flames during my break from class. I saw what seemmed to be a huge fireball at one point errupting into the heavens. This sounds bad but it was a great show during my class break
      by astonished on Dec 1, 2011 at 07:20 PM in reply to Cornpops
      "A great show," huh? How juvenile.
      by ryan on Dec 1, 2011 at 08:59 PM in reply to Cornpops
      how about have a heart how would you feel if it was the place you stay at that was on fire and someone told you it was a good show grow up your in college act like it .
      by Anon. on Dec 2, 2011 at 05:35 AM in reply to Cornpops
      Karma always teaches lessons. One day your house will be burning and your neighbors will crack the windows, enjoy the heat your house flames will emit, and romance their partners to the dramatic events occurring beyond the adjacent window seal.
  • by Chummy Location: Greenville on Dec 1, 2011 at 06:48 PM
    Very sad to see one of Greenville's landmarks damaged. Thank the Lord no one was hurt. God bless the pets who did not survive.
      by Anonymous on Dec 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM in reply to Chummy
      There were no pets that did not survive. What they heck are you talking about?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134872453 - witn.com/a?a=134872453