Teen Becomes State's First Flu Death

State health officials say a 15-year-old is the first death for this flu season. They will not release what county the teen lived in, nor even their sex.

The state says the victim did not receive a flu vaccine this season. "The death of this healthy young person is a tragic reminder of the potentially devastating effects flu can have on people at any age," said State Health Director Dr. Jeff Engel. "Most flu infections can be prevented by getting the vaccine. Flu vaccine is readily available and affordable this year, and is the single most effective way to protect yourself and your loved ones."

The state recommends anyone over 6 months old receive a flu shot. They say the flu is now widespread across the state and that it's not too late to still get your vaccine.

• by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    J.C. and lisa are BOTH right on. This post coming from someone who worked in healthcare for over 10 years.
  • by JC on Jan 7, 2011 at 09:48 AM
    Lisa, you're right. My brother had the flu shot one year and became terribly ill. The years before that, he had not had the flu shot and was fine. Every flu shot is experimental because everyone is different. For people to think that the government or pharm companies have everyone's best interests in mind is completely ridiculous. Money is the reason why these companies want you to get the flu vaccine and other vaccines, not because they really care about your health.
  • by lisa Location: greenville on Jan 7, 2011 at 09:04 AM
    I'll bet my next pay check that this child did not die from the flu and the flu alone. The lack of info in the story leads me to believe something isn't on the up and up. Vaccinations for the most parts are experimental. Some help, but some can kill. Not having the flu shot won't kill you. I have never had and no one in my family has ever had it and no has had the flu in over 1o years or more
  • by YIKES! on Jan 7, 2011 at 03:57 AM
    dont be scared, get your flu shot if you want, if not, dont worry. this doesnt mean everyone is going to die. you can see we did not get enough information in the story, it would help to know how a person died, aside from the fact that it stemmed from the flu--it makes a difference. it may be that this person just didnt get medical attention when they should have. we dont know the truth, and if a story like this is posted, we deserve the whole truth. if the state allows this information to be released, why not tell us the circumstances? otherwise they are fueling these vaccine conspiracies with all the secrecy!
  • by Kathy Location: Greenville on Jan 6, 2011 at 08:48 PM
    I contacted H1N1 back in 2009, you best believe I had the flu shot before 2010 was over,
  • by JC on Jan 6, 2011 at 07:11 PM
    First of all, there was no lying. I hope you know that you can get guillain barre syndrome from the flu vaccine in addition to many other vaccines. Check your information on the CDC website before you go running your mouth and making statements that you can not back up. Also, the h1n1 and flu vaccine are combined together this year.
  • by JC - Don't Lie on Jan 6, 2011 at 06:29 PM
    My father contracted Guillain-Barre Syndrome as well, but probably from Swine-Flu vacine many years ago, or from a different flue vacine. The point is, normal flu vacine, odd are, will save exponentially more lives than it takes. Your post may just cost lives, however. The H1N1 vaccine is not equal to the seasonal flu vacine.
  • by JC on Jan 6, 2011 at 04:11 PM
    I don't care what anyone says, the risk of death is just as high, if not higher getting the flu shot. I had the H1N1 vaccine last year, and was paralyzed and in the hospital for 3 months with guillain barre sydrome. You never know what may happen when you take these vaccines or any type of pill. I wish I would have never listened to the government and all of the hype that was made over the H1N1 flu. Had I not heard that the H1N1 was going to be so bad in 2009-2010, I would have never made that decision.
  • by get educated on Jan 6, 2011 at 03:23 PM
    Bet you didn't say that about the smallpox vaccine, which by the way, more than likely saved the world.
  • by US-First Location: Greenville on Jan 6, 2011 at 02:50 PM
    I wonder if the same people who fall for vaccine conspiracy theory are the same people who play the lottery? Vaccines or more accurately the compounds carrying the vaccine cause a minutely low incidence of health problems compared to the amount of folks not effected and helped by the vaccine. To be expected in any compounded administered to the masses. With the lottery there is a minute chance of winning, not even worth considering, yet they still but tickets as if they will win. Obviously these folks are related by their considerable gift for math! Almost everything you do to live puts you at greater risk of health complications compared with vaccines. In fact, the vaccines improve your chances of living w/o health complications. Go get you shot!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113011254 - witn.com/a?a=113011254