Synagogue: First Black Woman Rabbi Not "Right Fit"

The first black female rabbi in the world will no longer preside over a congregation in the east. Her contract has not been renewed.

Rabbi Alysa Stanton arrived in Greenville in August of 2009, after her ordination in Ohio. She came to lead congregation Bayt Shalom as the first reformist jewish rabbi to lead the 50 family synagogue. Back in October, the board of directors spoke to congregants and decided Rabbi Stanton would not be asked to stay.

"Rabbi Stanton has brought a lot of gifts to our community, she's really done a lot of wonderful work. She's a very fine person. We felt it wasn't quite the right fit for everyone. We're going in a little bit different direction," said board president Samantha Pilot.

"Whether, I have a congregation of 2000 or I'm walking down Greenville Boulevard alone, I'm still a rabbi and I will continue to do what I do, which is help people in their spiritual path," said Rabbi Stanton.

Rabbi Stanton's contract expires at the end of July.

• by What have you Location: Greene Co on Jan 7, 2011 at 07:50 AM
    I'm waiting to read how some conservative will blame Obama for this. It's got to be his fault somehow because he wasn't born in the USA and he's a socialist who hates America, besides he gets blamed for everything else. Back to the point: This rabbi is a phenomenal person, and I hate to see her go. She has worked hard deserves the best!!
  • by Endurance Swimmer Location: Greenville on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    I didn't know Rabbi Stanton, but she seems like a nice and caring woman. She's black and jewish, so what!! I think it's cool! I hope she finds another temple/ congregation to speak to others.
  • by Teresa Location: Farmville on Jan 6, 2011 at 08:44 PM
    Always remember we have to love everyone to make it to heaven. Racists will not be there.Glory Glory
  • by Mom Location: NC on Jan 6, 2011 at 02:43 PM
    To yankeeLOLer - Thats why your here. Thats why ALL of you yanks are here. ITS HEAVEN. If any of you who moved here disagree - the road that brought you here is still open ya'll!
  • by to yankeeLOLer on Jan 6, 2011 at 02:22 PM
    Only in the south would we have ignorant comments like yours. Go get a job and do something useful with your life.
  • by to Wha 3:55pm on Jan 6, 2011 at 01:37 PM
    There are many many black Jews. Through Africa there are still lots of Jews all the way back from Bible times. Just a few years back a few hundred thousand black Jews were airlifted to Israel to live in their promised land.
  • by yankeeLOLer Location: Greenville on Jan 6, 2011 at 01:25 PM
    *sigh* only in the south.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 6, 2011 at 01:07 PM
    To Is this news? It is news because she is the first black woman Rabbi - seems as though it would not be but because she has that title - yes, it is. It has nothing in my mind to do with race - I am a white Christian and I applaud her. I think it is wonderful.
  • by wha? on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    I didn't know there were Black Jews..Learn something new every day.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    I am not Jewish, but have attended the Synagogue, and have had many discussion with Jewsh friends. It is my understanding that they see Jesus as not being Christ the savior but as another disciple. I really liked the Rabbi that retired. He was wonderful! I was brought up Eposcopalian but enjoyed his sermons and the several bat and bar mitzs I attended. I can see where this congregation may want to get back to the way he taught. It has nothing to do with racism or female bias Many churches move around their ministers so why is this a problem?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112977399 - witn.com/a?a=112977399