UPDATE: Shooting Victim Dies, Suspect Charged With Murder

The victim in a shooting in Goldsboro last Thursday has passed away. An obituary for Howard Harper of La Grange says the man died Friday.

Court records show charges against suspect Onza Brown have been upgraded to murder. Brown had been charged with attempted murder for the shooting of Harper.

Harper had been on life support following the Thursday evening shooting. Police say the 44 year old was shot at 123 Kathy Lane in Goldsboro.

Previous Story:
A Goldsboro man will appear in court Friday on attempted murder charges stemming from a Thursday evening shooting.

Goldsboro Police arrested 33-year-old Onza Brown of Park Ave., Goldsboro, Thursday night. He's accused of shooting 44-year-old Howard Harper at 123 Kathy Lane in Goldsboro, around 5 p.m. Thursday.

Harper was airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville. Police say Harper is in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit and on life suport.

Police say Brown shot at Harper's cousin, Joseph Harper of Denver, Colorado. He was not injured.

Using a description provided to police of the suspect's vehicle, police tried to pull over the car on West Ash St. at approximately 7 p.m. Police say the driver sped away, and the chase continued into Johnston County. On Brogden Rd., police say Brown stopped his vehicle, and he was taken into custody.

Brown is charged with two counts of attempted murder, felony flee to elude arrest, and reckless driving to endanger an officer. His bond was set at $1,010,000.

• by NO need to know Location: Kinston on Jan 18, 2012 at 05:38 AM
    Well we need to really take a look at this from the inside. This was a hit and Ben was murdered by a person in Kinston, that told Onza to take care of him. Onza is not going to speak of who hired him to do this. He does not want his family hurt nor does he want to be killed himself. The law enforment in this area is like the keystone cops. It has been almost a year and still nothing. I am ashamed to live in this area with no more protection than we have. Please if anyone knows anything about this to please get with the proper authoritize. I would like to see this guy fry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by Lady Location: NC on Feb 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Even if O. Brown is found guilty of Murder 1, and he gets the maximum prison sentence or death penalty, it is still not as brutal as the crime committed. God be with each family. Ben is better off that most of us, because he is in heaven and we are stuck here to live on in this hateful world.
  • by Becky Location: NC on Feb 10, 2011 at 05:36 PM
    Tammy....You say O. Brown is not a killer. YES...he is...he shot and killed another human. Murderer..killer...sorry that is the only way to put it.
  • by Lady Location: Kinston on Feb 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    Nevertheless, this man Killed a man. He chose to shoot someone and that makes him a murderer. He also chose to shoot at the eye witness "Joe" at the scene but fortunately he missed. Yes, the family knows what happened and this is cruel and tragic. Ben is my cousin and he is loved very much. I understand the Brown family is going through much turmoil, but at least Onza was not brutally shot by someone that he trusted. I pray for each family through this time and I hope that Onza at least has remorse over what he did.
  • by Levi Location: Goldsboro,NC on Feb 9, 2011 at 02:08 AM
    This is so amazing that people are going back and forth on this issue. I have lost someone who has killed my daughter and also my brother doing years of jail time that has killed. You do look at the situations differently but whats wrong is wrong.Yes God is the only judge but we are also human and we tend to judge. Just because we know someone doesnt justify the fact of what he did. The Harper family has every right to feel angry but knowing the life that Mr. Harper lived they know the story. One man lived and uninjured right? Now is the time to pray for both families because losing someone to the court system or death is never easy. I am praying for Mr. Onza Brown to get his life together while he is confined and pray strength for the Harper family. To the Brown and Harper family, "Through time healing will come." I know first hand.
  • by angry Location: goldsboro,nc on Feb 8, 2011 at 06:39 PM
    I know there are alot of angry people but there is only one person who can JUDGE anyone. Lee is far from a THUG!! yes he did make a bad decision but I doubt anyone up here leaving comments knows what really happen. So with that being said dont judge him because there is two sides to every story. Unfortunately we are only able to hear one side now. Im going to hold u dow Lee.
  • by Queen Location: Goldsboro on Feb 8, 2011 at 08:55 AM
    My heart is heavy for everyone involved in the madness may God b with all....
  • by Lady Location: Kinston on Feb 8, 2011 at 05:20 AM
    Published in the Kinston Free Press: Howard Bennett "Ben" Harper Photo LA GRANGE - Howard Bennett "Ben" Harper, 44, of 101 Darrel Road, died Friday, Feb. 4, 2011, at Pitt County Memorial Hospital. Funeral arrangements are incomplete at Garner Funeral Home. We love you Ben!!
  • by Me Location: Kinston on Feb 7, 2011 at 07:13 AM
    "K" Yes, I agree with you that we need to place it in the Lords hands but please understand that at a time like this it is very easy for the family members to only focus on their hurt. It is a bad situation regardless of how you look at it. It affects two families, and they both have their issues. Our family can no longer pick the phone up and call or visit or hold Ben any longer. Onza's family knows that he is still breathing and accessable, I guess his family looks at this in a different aspect and I do understand but please understand that each and everyone of us grieve in our own way. Please do not denie us this, in all the Lord will see fit to take care of this situation in his way. I believe that everything happens for a reason and knowing that Ben saved 4 lives and will live on in the 4 others helps me with my empty heart. It is a tragic event that we may never understand that has affected two familys, I will keep the Brown family in my prayers.
  • by DA "K" on Feb 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    Well me knowing Onza Brown Im loss for words hurt, disappointed, disbelief, confused, I mean words jus can't describe the feelings about everyone involved the Harper family my heart goes out truly to each and everyone of you. I also want to speak to the family n friends of Lee hold em down n let him no dat no matter what happens you gonna be there for him like he has been there for us in the past its just a traggic when things like this occur. I understand the pain and frustration with the Harper family n friends but its only one judge n thats GOD... so holding grugdes and resentment want get you anywhere just let go n let god and I promise you'll feel alot better. I wanna say that Onza Brown was a family man to that loved his family and friends he was the life of the party in most cases. I have to respond to the comment that addressed Mr. Brown as being a THUG not even far from it.. Slandering a person's character is also a charge I thought I would just put that out there.....

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115253924 - witn.com/a?a=115253924