Greenville Fear Of Crime Study Now Online

A report that gauges the fear of crime in Greenville is now online.

Greenville police released the full report this morning, after it was presented to city council last Thursday.

After two months of telephone surveys, the ECU Department of Criminal Justice says the people they spoke with say they feel safe. But that conclusion is not one that some members of city council and residents agree with.

To read the full study, click on the link at the top of the story.

Previous Story

Police say recent statistics show crime numbers in Greenville are on the decline, but city council members want to know just how safe residents feel in their homes and out in the community.

Last April the Greenville City Council requested the ECU Department of Criminal Justice find out how safe residents feel in Greenville. Those results were presented to the city council Thursday night.

The study titled "fear of crime" took place back in September based on the recommendation from the special task force on public safety. And after two months of telephone surveys, the ECU Department of Criminal Justice says the people they spoke with say they feel safe.

Thursday night's presentation led by Dr. William Bloss stated that overall, residents in Greenville have a minimal fear of crime. It's a conclusion the council, as well as residents WITN spoke to, don't completely agree with.

Bob Green has lived in Greenville for 12 years and told us, "I would say it's the opposite. We are more aware. People actually pay more attention. When people are on vacation we notice, we actually watch the houses and things like that." Green says while he generally feels safe, he is always cautious of his surroundings and mindful of locking his doors. He says, "Maybe a little extra cautious than maybe I was 12 years ago."

Council member Marion Blackburn says the fear of crime study was conducted in hopes of ultimately making Greenville a safer place. "There's a lot of good that comes with being a bigger city but there are also growing pains, and a bigger city is going to have more crime."

Of the 6,000 residents who were contacted for the survey, Bloss says only 386 participated. And of those, 70 percent were female and 60 percent were white- numbers that council members say do not accurately reflect the city.

Funded through the Greenville Police department, the project cost nearly $12,000. It's unclear if a second survey will be conducted.

Several council members expressed their reservations with the results from the study- saying the survey does not represent the views of all Greenville residents.

Members of city council say violent crime is their number one concern, and they will continue to work to try to protect residents and make Greenville a safer place to live.

• by alumni on Mar 14, 2012 at 07:59 PM
    Whoever or whatever is behind this meaningless hogwash needs to have thier head(s) evaluated. Greenville is suppose to be an educated university community. This is embarassing.
  • by Truth Location: Reality on Mar 14, 2012 at 06:44 PM
    As another point of contention with the results (still as statistically insignificant as the positively spun results...): In the part of the survey asking residents if they are "very afraid," "afraid," "somewhat afraid," or "not afraid at all," the "somewhat afraid" results are NOT included in the "afraid" results. I'm sorry, but if you are "somewhat afraid" to go somewhere or do something that should be safe, then you are experiencing some degree of FEAR and THAT is a PROBLEM. One should not be AT ALL AFRAID to go to a park or go shopping. I won't go through all the stats, but just shows you how much MORE of a spin either GPD or City Council tried to put on the survey. Factor in the "somewhat afraid" results and you get 82% of respondents saying they are afraid to go to a park or playground, and 74% experiencing fear about shopping or dining downtown at night. If you're going to try pass the survey off as having a sufficient sample size (which it does not...), tell me how these results are acceptable?
      by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2012 at 06:31 AM in reply to Truth
      But, but, but, they said it was real. Seriously though, this is common. On average, the national polls that people put so much stock in talk to about 1000 people. Out of over 300 million that's a much much smaller percentage and scientists and the media accept those.
  • by Truth Location: Reality on Mar 14, 2012 at 05:15 PM
    I agree with what's already been mentioned... these numbers are statistically insignificant. With an official population of 84,000, and 183,000 for the Greenville Metro area (per 2010 census), the attempted sampling size of 6,000 is only 7%, best case scenario. Factor in the metropolitan area, and you're looking at only a 3% desired sample. Now, if you consider that (call it) 400 people responded, you get a result based on less than ONE-HALF of ONE percent (that's correct, .47%), and less than ONE-FOURTH of ONE percent (.21%) for the greater metropolitan area. Now, I know you can't do but so much to get to people to respond to such surveys, but with these types of numbers, you can't really call the study a success! Much less, accurate! And, to then attempt to use these results to "spin" a publicity stunt about residents feeling safe??? Give me a break! Mind you, I applaud the attempt at doing such a study... just don't try to brag about results from such insignificant numbers.
  • by Greenville is a dump on Mar 14, 2012 at 04:31 PM
    and the police are incompetent... Nothing new here....
  • by Mike Location: Edenton on Mar 14, 2012 at 03:23 PM
    For anyone who actually understands numbers, 386 responses (or just over 8%) of a random sampling of 6000 means absolutely NOTHING! It's almost a farse just reporting it. If there were closer to 6000 responses in a metro area the size of Greenville the results would be more significant. It makes me wonder if the report was filtered to be deceiving or there are just that many uncaring people in the city.
  • by Annonymous Location: eastern NC on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    I lived in Greenville from 1988 til 2005. When I decided to return to NC in 2005, I looked elsewhere for employment because of the crime rate. I don't think Greenville is a safe place for single women nor is it a safe place to raise children. I have lived all over this country and I find the drug crime in Greenville is unbelieveably high compared to other comparable communities. No wonder the top 3 officials in the City recently "bailed." It's sad because Greenville used to be such a comfortable place to live....no more!
  • by Willy Location: Greenville on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    The crime situation in Greenville/Pitt County is way out of control. I believe this is mainly due to drugs and/or gang activity, and I believe the law enforcement agencies are, for whatever reasons, reluctant to do anything about it. I would not advise anyone to move to Pitt County, nor would I advise them to send their children to school here. It's just not safe.
      by REM on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM in reply to Willy
      I hate that people are too stupid to realize that it's not the fault of law enforcement! I swear every time someone robs a bank, the first person to blame is a cop! It's like the police officers are out there robbing the banks and framing the criminals. The people you need to blame is the corrupt officials in the justice system.
        by Willy on Mar 15, 2012 at 08:36 AM in reply to REM
        While I do agree that corrupt officials in the justice system share in the blame, I know for a fact that police have been notified pertaining to who, what, when and where, but as I stated "for whatever reasons, reluctant to do anything about it." One officer even told me (two - three years ago) that "We have more important things to do." So don't you tell me that myself or anybody else is "too stupid to realize that it's not the fault of law enforcement!". Obviously, you've never been victomized by the scum roaming the streets of Pitt County.
  • by Toby on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    elect him again!!
  • by Roy on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    crime in Greenville.? im shocked.?I have had to call the police before because someone causing a disturbance, and you would have thought he police officer was going to carry the criminal home with them and lock me up. Its a joke.
  • by DS Location: Greenville on Mar 14, 2012 at 09:46 AM
    $12000??? Is this some sort of poorly done joke? And to call less than 400? that equates to about $31 per questionaire that maybe took less than 10 minutes. INSANE!!! If someone had called me, I would have told them that I do not feel safe and am reluctantly getting a concealed carry license.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142010713 - witn.com/a?a=142010713