Students Take To The Streets In National Walk To School Day

North Carolina is encouraging students across the state to walk to school to promote regular physical activity and other benefits.

The state Department of Transportation says about 66 schools in North Carolina are participating in International Walk to School Day on Wednesday, and two local schools are participating. Lake Forest Elementary School in Greenville will start their event at 7:30 a.m. AG Cox Middle School will hold their event this afternoon at 3:30 p.m.

Events range from one-day observations to month-long programs focused on pedestrian and bicycle education as well as safety awareness.

The agency says that motivation for taking part varies from community to community. Some promote regular exercise, while others use the opportunity to draw attention to making streets safer and reducing traffic congestion.

The department is also asking drivers to be especially cautious Wednesday, as there may be higher than usual numbers of students on bicycles or walking to class.

• by bugged Location: Kinston on Oct 5, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    This is not a good idea. My children will not be walking to school. Promoting physical activity involves getting rid of the video games and sending them outside to play.
  • by Let my kid walk? With these sex offenders in Pitt on Oct 5, 2011 at 09:41 AM
    I think the main thing we need to keep in mind is the fact that we have a lot of sexual predators in this area. My son will not be walking to school so he can be kidnapped and fulfill someones sick fantasy.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 5, 2011 at 08:41 AM
    I walked uphill both ways, to and from school, every single day when I was a kid. Barefoot and the snow was up to my head. No book bag so I had to hold all the books in my arm. It made me into the man that I am today.
      by That's Nothing ! on Oct 5, 2011 at 08:37 PM in reply to
      When I was a boy, I had to RUN 25 miles to school (uphill both ways) to keep ahead of the cougars & bears. I had to carry a 12 guage shotgun, my books and my lunch with no bag...in 20 feet of snow, 30ºF below zero temps, no shoes and only had a loin cloth to wear. When I got to school, I had to cut wood for the furnace, then prep the kitchen for the other children's lunch. I was also the school's ground's keeper and had to shovel the walkways every morning. If you tell this to the kids today, they won't believe you. ☺
  • by Dawg on Oct 5, 2011 at 06:42 AM
    If students live close enough to school to walk, why are they getting bus service?
  • by Dark Horse on Oct 5, 2011 at 06:20 AM
    Let me get this straight...if your school is 10 miles away, you take a bus to get there and it takes you a few days to get there, this is good because it promotes good health and builds character?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131124473 - witn.com/a?a=131124473