Student Charged With Loaded Gun At School

A high school student is in trouble with the law after deputies say they found a loaded gun in his vehicle.

Steven Walston of Princeton is charged with possession of a firearm on educational grounds and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Deputies say on Thursday they used police dogs to search the parking lot at Rosewood High School. There they found the weapon and paraphernalia inside the 17-year-old's vehicle.

The school system says Walston is a senior at Rosewood and he will face disciplinary action according to their policy.

Walston's bond was set at $3,000.

• by somethings got to give on Apr 12, 2011 at 05:48 AM
    what is wrong with kid these days. I hope that the punishment is hard enough that maybe it will straighten out his future
  • by swamp Location: commander on Apr 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    bill nye it is legal to possess a handgun at 18 it has to be in someones name that is 21.
  • by homeschool mom Location: ENC on Apr 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    Yet another reason to HOME SCHOOL!!!
  • by bill nye Location: Goldsboro on Apr 9, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    Thanks for the responses, but my real question wasn't answered. He is 17. The local paper says he was in legal possession of the pistol. I would like to know if that's true. I'm very interested to see if a 17 yo can carry. The whole 18 to possess 21 to purchase is new to me. I know 18 to purchase a rifle. I'll have to look into that. And to mc, I went to Rosewood high, and they randomly bring the digs and let them sniff around all of the students cars. A friend of mine almost got expelled for having a few shotgun shells in his truck. No gun, but some shells. Complete nonsense.
  • by mc on Apr 9, 2011 at 06:24 AM
    What was this kid thinking? Now he will face penalties from the school and state. And since he isn't under 16, this felony will be on his record for a while. I want to know what he was doing that made school officials search his car..
  • by mike Location: greenville on Apr 8, 2011 at 07:53 PM
    This kid will get a slap on the wrist. If he's got no other record, I'm fine with that. If you are 17, you are stupid by definition. It just depends what level of stupid and how unlucky you are when it comes to the amount of trouble you end up in. This kid seems to be both stupid and unlucky. I doubt he's a "bad person" who wanted to shoot up the school. But he broke the rules and has to pay for it. Period. Truth be told, I'm sure i did worse as a high-schooler... Bye the way, if he had a .38 then he wasn't hunting....
  • by Anonymous on Apr 8, 2011 at 07:42 PM
    What does this case have to do with James Richardson. You dumb people are obsessed with convicting anyone of a different race it is just sad.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 8, 2011 at 05:12 PM
    Anderson is Carolyn's puppet, he only opens his mouth when she tells him to. Richardson is guilty, he will not get another trial, he will see his children from behind bars like he should. Its sad that he will even get to see them because the other families involved will not ever see thrier children again.
  • by bill nye Location: goldsboro on Apr 8, 2011 at 02:21 PM
    The Goldsboro news argus states that he had a .380 cal gandgun. It said he was 'in legal possession of the firearm until he drove onto school grounds'. I understand the last part, but how can a 17 yo kid be in legal possession of a pistol? Someone care to explain this to me?
      by Retired Enlisted Marine on Apr 8, 2011 at 03:17 PM in reply to bill nye
      he CAN NOT be in legal possession of a hand gun, you must be 21 years of age or older.
        by OpenCarry on Apr 8, 2011 at 07:43 PM in reply to Retired Enlisted Marine
        You are incorrect. Under NC law, you must be 18 or older to possess a handgun. You only have to be 21 to buy from a dealer. If you can get your Sheriff to issue a Purchase Permit, it is 100% legal for an 18-20 year old to buy a handgun in a private sale. The "21 to own handguns" myth is just that--a myth, and has no basis in State or Federal law...
          by Retired Enlisted Marine on Apr 9, 2011 at 12:56 AM in reply to OpenCarry
          Thanks for the knowledge, I'll look into that.
      by ozone on Apr 8, 2011 at 07:18 PM in reply to bill nye
      18 year old to possess--21 to purchase from dealer...rhats the law...
  • by tough on Apr 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Policy is Policy and he and everyone with a brain cell knows that you don't bring a gun on School property.
      by anonymous on Apr 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM in reply to tough
      I would have been in the same boat when i was in high school if they wolud have ever went in my truck but i was a luck one. maybe he forgot it was in his truck car it wouldn't be the first time somethng like that has happened. I got a friend that forgot his shotgun and deer rifle his truck and the cop seen it just told him to leave them at home next time.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119470974 - witn.com/a?a=119470974