Student Charged With Bringing Firearm To School

A senior at South Central High School in Pitt County was charged with bringing a firearm on school grounds.

The student is Xavier Lee. According to online North Carolina court system records as well as local officials, Lee was charged with a felony.

School officials say the firearm was a starter pistol.

Police say they discovered Lee had the pistol in his backpack thanks to a Crimestoppers tip.

School officials say an assistant principal and the resource officer took Lee out of class, away from other students, and searched his bag.

A starter pistol is used to begin races and only shoots blanks. School officials say it can't hurt another person but could be dangerous for the person using it.

Pitt County School spokeswoman Heather Mayo says the student will be disciplined by the Code of Student Conduct.

Lee bonded out of jail Wednesday afternoon.

• by Satisfied Parent Location: WInterville on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    I understand your frustration angry parent, and we as parents deserve to know what is going on with our children at all times. I am sorry you weren't notified. Perhaps we should have gotten the call earlier. As an educator, it frustrates me when others say that the student shouldn't be punished because it was only a starter gun. Again, a gun is a gun whether it is operable or not. Please, we as educators and parents need to talk with our children and set good examples!
  • by Ashlli Location: winterville on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    To satisfied parent. That was well said THANK YOU!!!!I am a parent and I think that Pitt County do a great job on telling us thing to angry parent you need to check you phone just saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by ANGRY PARENT Location: WINTERVILLE NC on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    FIRST THING I DID WAS CHECK MY MESSAGES FROM THAT DAY, SECOND THING I DID WAS CALL THE SCHOOL TO MAKE SURE THEY HAD MY CORRECT NUMBER, WHICH THEY DO. I AM NOT SAYING THE BOY SHOULD NOT BE PUNISHED FOR HIS ACTIONS, ALL I AM SAYING IS PITT COUNTY SHOULD HAVE A BETTER SYSTEM AT LETTING ALL THE PARENTS KNOW WHATS GOING ON WITH THERE CHILDREN WHILE AT SCHOOL.ANOTHER EXAMPLE WHEN MY CHILD WAS STILL IN A.G COX HIS BUS HAD AN ACCIDENT & HE WAS THE ONE THAT CALLED ME FROM HIS CELL PHONE, NOT THE SCHOOL. I HAVE MANY FRIENDS WHO IS EMPLOYED BY PITT COUNTY SCHOOLS SO I DO COMMEND THEM FOR WHAT THAY ARE DOING BUT THERE IS STILL THOSE OUT THERE THAT DONT CARE.
  • by Satisfied Parent Location: Winterville on Dec 16, 2010 at 09:18 AM
    In response to angry parent, check your phone messages from that night because I received a message from the school principal specifically notifying me of what happened at school that day. I think it was handled well as it could have caused a wide spread panic which potentially would have been just as dangerous. We need to stop finding fault with the schools and rather support the administration and teachers who do a good job with our children. Active participation from parents and our community make for a positive experience for our children! Remember it takes a village to raise a child! We need to make everyone accountable for their actions. Life is a game of choices and if he chose to bring the gun to school, he choices to be punished!
  • by ANGRY PARENT Location: WINTERVILLE NC on Dec 16, 2010 at 08:36 AM
    WHAT IS GOING ON WITH OUR YOUTH TODAY. mY SON IS A JR AT SCHS & I HEARD NOTHING ABOUT THIS UNTIL I WATCH THE NEW. THATS JUST LIKE WHEN THEY HAD A BOMB IN VINEYARDS AND WAS GOING TO EVACUATE THE SCHOOL. I THINK PITT COUNTY BOARD OF ED SUCK ON NOTIFYING PARENTS ON IMPORTANT THINGS YET MY PHONE RING ABOUT A EARLY RELEASE OR SOMETHING MINOR......
  • by tyqawanna Location: whrotain station rd on Dec 16, 2010 at 07:41 AM
    Why would you bring a firearm to school with you and then think that no one now's about it .
  • by Food for Thought Location: ENC on Dec 16, 2010 at 06:50 AM
    People please look at the big picture. Someone has to take a stand because these kids that think bringing a firearm of any kind to school really have issues. I am glad some body turned him in. Was him bringing the gun to school meant to be a sick joke? Not funny when you have children that attend schools here. There is enough information available for him not to have made a stupid decision to take a starter gun to school. Who knows his intentions. I feel he should be punished and made an example of. The school sytem is corrupted and needs to be fixed. I am also glad some lawmen aren't afraid to stand up and do their jobs!
  • by Leslie Location: Pitt County on Dec 16, 2010 at 05:20 AM
    To Graduate: Yes, I am a teacher at SCHS. All high schools need METAL detectors.
  • by Anonymous Mama on Dec 15, 2010 at 09:27 PM
    I am a teacher and my daughter is a teacher at South Central. Protect everyone. Get medal detectors!!!! Don't wait until something horrible happens...that's too late and unacceptable. Students and teachers are entitled to a safe working/learning environment. Find the money and get medal detectors. Be preventive.
  • by Tail Wagging the Dog on Dec 15, 2010 at 07:59 PM
    It is obvious that some teacher in his past has failed to properly educate this student, since teachers are now supposedly responsible for everything....the poor, misguided child...pity...

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111919184 - witn.com/a?a=111919184