Student Charged After Other Vehicle Lands Upside Down In Ditch

A high school student has been charged after troopers say she pulled out in front of another vehicle while on her way to school.

The accident happened around 8:00 a.m. at the intersection of Highway 903 and Oakley Road near Stokes in Pitt County.

Troopers say 17-year-old Laura Little of Stokes pulled out onto the highway into the path of another vehicle. The crash impact sent that other vehicle off the road, it overturned and landed in a ditch. That other driver, Mary Leon, was taken to Vidant Medical Center where she is in fair condition.

Little was charged by the Highway Patrol with failure to yield the right of way. Troopers say Little is a student at North Pitt High School.

• by A Grandfather Location: Greenville on Feb 26, 2012 at 03:58 AM
    I di not know all the details and this may have been a accident. Most of us have had an accident at some point in their life. I take exception to this young lady's? response. She claims not to be white trash but her response makes her look like she is. The only thing she should say is "I'M sorry" then we pray for the victim and give her another chance. If she were my daughter and wrote a response like that I would not let her drive until she was 21. Whatever happended to changing the driving age to 18?
  • by THE DRIVER on Feb 22, 2012 at 05:58 PM
    WHY does it seem that no one on this planet can get it through their thick skulls that this was an accident there was no phone use and fyi it could have happened to any of you and don't you dare try to blame my mother unlike you she is NOT a piece of low life trash! And my father is dead! If you have EVER driven on highway 903 then you would know that it is a dangerous road!! In fact i saw another accident on that same road today on my way home from school!! You all are just hating because I'm a teenager!!
      by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 07:00 PM in reply to THE DRIVER
      You should never be up here reading comments about you. All it will do is mess with your head. It was an accident. Don't let what other people say. Cause you to lash out. I wish they would disable the comment section on the accidents and reports. All it does is bring more grief. The traffic is bad on all highway's. Just have to use more caution. Don't worry about what others are saying. We all make mistakes.
  • by Anonymous Location: mc on Feb 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    while u were eating?????? guess that doesnt count tho if u r driving,,,, sa!
      by HATERS GET HATE on Feb 22, 2012 at 01:42 PM in reply to
      who said she was eating??? People have blown this out of the water
  • by Tori Location: Stokes on Feb 22, 2012 at 09:29 AM
    Leave the girl alone. She made a mistake! Everyone does and there is no one that is perfect except for Jesus Christ! We have all made a mistake at some point in our lives. Some on us make them everyday. I am sure Laura feels terrible of this situation and I am sure that she will pay for it with her insurance and emotions.
      by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 01:42 PM in reply to Tori
  • by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 08:00 AM
    Religion and praying had nothing to do with this accident. Why did god cause this?
      by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 01:43 PM in reply to
      God saved both drivers he did NOT cause it
  • by Son on Feb 22, 2012 at 04:36 AM
    No, Laura wasn't texting or doing anything wrong. This could have happened to anyway, so let's take it for what it is: an accident. My mom hurt her neck pretty badly but she's going to be okay. Thank you all for your concern
      by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 05:53 PM in reply to Son
      by mother of two sons on Feb 23, 2012 at 02:45 AM in reply to Son
      I am so glad to hear that she's ok. I will keep her and Miss Little in my prayers. I agree with you that it was an accident and it could happen to anyone.
  • by get with it! Location: ENC on Feb 21, 2012 at 09:09 PM
    Why r they deleting and not posting comments about teens and phone? Yes its not only teen but it is becoming a epidemic in this country u can't sweep it under the rug like witn is doing! I hope this girl wasn't on the phone and don't know anything about the accident but you can't get mad at people for noticing or commenting on it when it happens ALL the time that's why its the first thing people think. Teens adults it happens everywhere all the time quit trying to hide it or deny it its not helping anyone including u or your family!!SMH maybe u will realize when u have to loose a family member to,and for such a stupid reason. People should NOT be talking ugly about this young lady but u can't blame anyone for thinking this or u yourself are ignorant to the problem! Shame on WITN and other posters from both sides don't make light of this!
      by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 01:46 PM in reply to get with it!
      She was not on the phone
  • by Laura's Friend on Feb 21, 2012 at 07:00 PM
    Wow, people bashing Laura for being a "high school student driver" really do need to learn more about the situation. As a teenage driver myself, I get pulled out in front of by more "ADULTS" then teenagers. So before you start playing the age game, you need to take a look at your generation first. Second of all, Laura keeps her phone far away from her so unless you have PROOF that she was on the phone, shut up about it. Why are "adults" so immature? I know more teenagers who are more adult like than most adults I know! It is a SHAME. Today, I had a middle aged guy pull out in front of me while he was eating and not even look, and then drove slow (35 in a 55) which almost made me rear end him. I think most adults need to take a driving class again because they are the dangerous ones, not the teenagers. Think before you speak, "adults."
      by mother of two on Feb 21, 2012 at 07:15 PM in reply to Laura's Friend
      Thank you for your support. Miss Little really needs it right now. Imagine being scared to death during the accident and now being treated so disrespectfully.
        by Laura's Friend on Feb 21, 2012 at 07:44 PM in reply to mother of two
        Exactly. It is just a shame.
        by Welcome on Feb 21, 2012 at 08:31 PM in reply to mother of two
        I know, it happened to me when I was rear ended by a company truck last August that totaled my car and I had my turn signal on and all of my lights were functioning and everything.
      by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 08:03 AM in reply to Laura's Friend
      Laura's Friend, If you research and find statistics, younger drivers have more accidents than older drivers -- it's the reason your insurance is higher. It's not an "age game" -- it's a fact!
        by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 01:48 PM in reply to
        I have seen more older drivers doing stupid things while driving than younger ones
      by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:01 AM in reply to Laura's Friend
      I am not afraid to say that I would trust my teenaged daughter driving more then I would some of these "seasoned" drivers. They tend to still be new enough at it to be extra cautious
  • by mother of two on Feb 21, 2012 at 06:53 PM
    Greenville police say a veteran officer collided with a moped on Highway 11 early Tuesday morning. The Highway Patrol is investigating the accident. Greenville police spokesman Sgt. Joe Friday told WITN's Heather King than Master Police Officer David Lawrence collided with the moped on Highway 11 at Reedy Branch Rd. around 3:30 a.m. Sgt. Friday says he was told the moped did not have any lights on. The driver of the moped was taken to Vidant Medical Center. Troopers say he's been identified at 17 year old David Haddock of Winterville. Vidant Medical Center says Haddock is in serious condition. As far as Officer Lawrence, Sgt. Friday says he is "physically fine" but is "shaken up emotionally." Friday says Lawrence has been a member of the Greenville Police Department for 22 years. He was headed to his home near Ayden for a meal break when the wreck happened. OK folks see this! Not only teen aged drivers having wrecks.
  • by angry mother of two on Feb 21, 2012 at 05:58 PM
    Please leave this young lady alone. Do you know how much she is suffering right now due to your rude and unknowing, uncaring, and careless comments. This is one of the most upstanding high school students in Pitt County. She got a ticket. She has to deal with her own injuries and the injuries of her friend (yes the driver of the other vehicle) that she was in the accident with. She is a very mature young lady and doesn't deserve all the bashing you are giving her. She is an honor student. She never using her cell phone when driving. It is not even in her reach. Yes, I know this for a fact. I also seem to be aware that more adults are always on their cell phones, putting on makeup or eating while driving. That in itself is a hazard. So lighten up people and pray it doesn't happen to you. Pray for the drivers and let it go.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139864723 - witn.com/a?a=139864723