Storm Damages Home, Golf Course In Farmville

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

Just a couple of months after a tornado ripped through Farmville in Pitt county, a storm tore through the town again. Many people think another tornado hit, but that has not been confirmed.

Many residents in Farmville felt the strong winds around 5:30 p.m. Thursday and say it only lasted for a few minutes. A tree came down on a house. Several trees were knocked down in neighborhoods, and at the Farmville Golf and Country Club where general manager Charles Rose says the storm was right over the club house.

"All the sudden the wind just started swirling and started raining pretty good and a few minutes later nickle size hail," said Rose.

Emergency officials tell WITN no one was injured in Farmville from the storm.

• by dictionary user on Jun 24, 2011 at 08:14 AM
    Click? Do you mean "clique" ? Paranoid??? I assume you mean hypervigilant or something like that degree for paranoia is a disabling condition which is not what you seem to be discussing.
  • by Trolley Man Location: Cluds on Jun 24, 2011 at 08:12 AM
    I was flying on my broomstick down Old 264 when I was suddenly hit by a flying cow right over Alliance One in Farmville. I was so scared that I immediately stopped at Bo Jangles and got me a cheddar biscuit. When I decided to hop back on and when I saw the cow again I felt a little thirsty. So, I milked that cow and drank it to wash down the cheese that was stuck in my throat. Thank God the tornado went away cause that cow was really scared!
  • by A former Farmville Resident with family in Farmville on Jun 24, 2011 at 08:02 AM
    Over the top...you are right, people are awake from the most recent April tornadic events. Do you blame them? However, instead of using this "comment section" as a place to point out who is right and who is wrong since obviously you are a meteorologist, maybe you cold focus your energy on a more positive note like the fact that everyone is ok. I am thankful that everyone is safe and I'm thankful for my two brothers and the other utility crews that have worked so hard since April to get Farmville up and going again.
      by Me Again on Jun 24, 2011 at 08:45 AM in reply to A former Farmville Resident with family in Farmville
      I better correct my spelling before the Dictionary User gets me too...I meant could rather than cold. :-)
  • by Not in the click Location: Farmville on Jun 24, 2011 at 07:17 AM
    Well, if any damage occurred @ the Country Club, then the town really suffered! NOT! If you get the weather report and damage assessment from them, you would think the whole town was destroyed because they think they OWN the town!
      by Jeff on Jun 24, 2011 at 08:07 AM in reply to Not in the click
      Don't hate just because your not in the club.
        by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 08:35 AM in reply to Jeff
        Oh but I am in the club Jeff....how do you think I know this? I unlike alot of the members am a member for the pool use with my kids and I hear it everyday. They are above the laws & regulations in Farmville.
          by AMEN! on Jun 24, 2011 at 08:48 AM in reply to
          AMEN Anonymous!!!!!
  • by area resident Location: Farmville on Jun 24, 2011 at 07:11 AM
    There was definitely rotation- I could see the wind changing direction very quickly while I was ducking flying debris in the yard! Maybe not a tornado, but fierce enough.
  • by 264 commuter on Jun 24, 2011 at 06:55 AM
    I am certainly not a meteorologist but I am a weather geek. From what I saw on 264 yesterday it appears that the damage was from strong straight line winds. Usually tornadic activity is isolated to a very specific area that is well defined and very visable. This damage was spread out over 4 miles of 264 which indicates straight line winds instead of tornadic winds
  • by Another Farmville Resident Location: Farmville on Jun 24, 2011 at 06:46 AM
    I don't know if there's been a tornado confirmed or not but I believe there was definitely one in Farmville. I was driving home from work and saw debris flying through the air along with the torrential rain and trees swaying and looking like they were going to topple over. I've never been so glad to get back to my house!
  • by Farmville Resident on Jun 24, 2011 at 06:16 AM
    Yesterday was NOT just wind... I saw the rotation... I have the damage in my neighborhood. Trees twisted off at the top, etc. And, I HEARD the sound...not just plain wind. Very scary!
  • by 264 driver on Jun 24, 2011 at 05:34 AM
    I'm no meteorologist no where near close. I agree with your statement over the top people now are paranoid about tornadoes, being directly affected by the tornadoes earlier this year I can say it does make you paranoid sometimes. I am definitely not screaming tornado. I have however seen a funnel clouds and tornadoes develop in the past and yesterday I definitely noticed clouds rotating over the Farmville area. A tornado may not have been produced but there was a rotating updraft over the area.
  • by Over the top on Jun 24, 2011 at 04:22 AM
    I think that people now, are just too quick to call out TORNADO when the wind picks up. We have strong winds all the time but it doesnt mean there is a tornado. Yes, the recent tornados this year may have finally woke people up and put the fear in them about storms, but dont scream tornado when a strong gust of wind comes because it might just be wind!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124470444 - witn.com/a?a=124470444