Storm Damage Report

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

We've received several reports of storm damage from WITN viewers and from the National Weather Service.

Beaufort County:
-Trees down on Market Street extension just south of Highway 171
-Power out on Horse Pen Swamp Road
-Highway 32 North trees twisted and down near Acre Station
-Hail in Old Fort near Highway 171

Craven County:
-Trees down

Edgecombe County:
Pinetops:
-tree down on Davistown-Mercer road. Power lines down nearby
-tree down on us 258 near NC highway 42.
-tree down on Eagles Road.

Greene County:
-Trees down along highway 58 and highway 91 in Snow Hill
-Trees down near hwy 91

Martin County:
-Multiple trees down. Hail reported but size unknown.Trees also down in Beargrass.

Pamlico County:
-trees down

Pitt County
-Tree down on vehicle near Holiday Court in Greenville
-Multiple trees down near mile marker 64 in Farmville

Tyrell County
-Tree down near intersection of River Neck Road & Sound Side Road.

Washington County:
--18-wheeler blown over on Albamarle Sound Bridge connecting Chowan County to Washington County
--Trees down Highway 171 in Martin County blocking the east northbound lane
-Tree down on shed in Brinkley Place in Plymouth

• by Gretchen Location: East of Plymouth on Jul 9, 2011 at 09:35 AM
    About 5 miles east of Plymouth-driving with two small children, saw a dark (mixed colors of brown, dark gray) column shaped cloud that extended to ground. Since there were no warnings on local radio station, I proceded. I noticed the car in front of me put hazards on-I did the same. Sky became almost completely black/brown, winds rapidly increased in speed. Dirt, leaves and small sticks (debris) began hitting my car. At that time, I realized it was too late to get out of the car (had no ditch, shelter to go into) and visibility decreased to less than 2 car lengths ahead. Small hail very briefly fell, then huge pelting rain drops. Sky became gray/pink then bright. I made decision to procede. I saw law enforcement stopped by downed power lines throughout Plymouth. Leaving Plymouth, I noticed several downed trees, even more power lines and a great deal of leaves and limbs on highway. Also was sad to see the home that had several large trees down near residence and cars being redirected around limbs, power lines on highway. If it was not a tornado, I am not sure what else it would have been. I was terrified for my children.
  • by Sandy Location: Farmville on Jun 23, 2011 at 07:57 PM
    There are trees down all over Farmville. the power was out for the whole town for several hours. It looks a lot like it did the afternoon of April 16th. the streets and yards are littered with all types of trash. A limb fell on our car and shattered the rear glass.
  • by PRETTBLACKCHICK Location: PLYMOUTH on Jun 23, 2011 at 06:35 PM
    WHAT I THE WORLD IS UP WITH US NOT HAVIN POWER?
  • by Brittany Location: Pinetown on Jun 23, 2011 at 06:27 PM
    There had to be a tornado or something on HWY 32 past acre station towards plymouth. Everything in our yard was almost blown away. Lots of trees behind our house are down, almost like a path, and tree tops are all over our yard. Underpinning on our house was blown from under it. It was a crazy sight to come home to.
  • by FAYE Location: PLYMOUTH on Jun 23, 2011 at 06:15 PM
    DID A TORNADO TOUCH DOWN IN PLYMOUTH CAUSE WE GOT SOME TREES DOWN SOME PEOPLE LIGHTS ARE OUT. I PRAY NO ONE WAS HURT DOING THIS STORM. IT CAME AND WENT SO FAST
      by Brittany on Jun 23, 2011 at 06:33 PM in reply to FAYE
      A tree took down a power line in plymouth. We had lots of trees down as well. I believe one touched down behind my house because the damage is terrible. I've never seen a path of trees torn down before near our house.
  • by maybe on Jun 23, 2011 at 05:47 PM
    we heard a continuous thunder that went on for several minutes--it got louder as the clouds got closer, then it diminished as it crossed the road. was this a tornado in beaufort county, near market street ext?
      by anon on Jun 23, 2011 at 07:55 PM in reply to maybe
      I came down Market St Ext after work and the line of damage looked exactly like tornadoes I've seen. It's hard to say if the weather service isn't confirming anything but I thought it looked like a tornado too, and the sound you describe is also consistent.
  • by Scared of Storms Location: Choco on Jun 23, 2011 at 05:35 PM
    Are there any confirmed tornadoes???
      by George of Farmville on Jun 24, 2011 at 03:33 AM in reply to Scared of Storms
      Looks like another Tornado in the town of Farmville, we live on the outskirts and it took out our tree also, there is damage all around farmville, big tree's down and a camper over turned,,, Tornado

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124460259 - witn.com/a?a=124460259