NEW FACTS: Store Workers Pull Woman Out Of Burning Vehicle

Workers at a Lenoir County convenience store pulled a woman out of a burning vehicle this afternoon after a crash that involved three vehicles.

State troopers say the crash happened on Highway 70 and Eason Road, that's west of Kinston.

First Sgt. C.L. Johnston says charges are pending against 83-year-old Luther Apperson of Beaufort. Johnston says Apperson was in the median and didn't yield to an oncoming vehicle that was heading west. That vehicle was driven by Keymony Baker of Kinston.

Baker's vehicle went through the parking lot of Falling Creek Service Center and ended up knocking down a light pole. That pole fell on a parked pickup truck. Baker's vehicle caught fire and ended up in a grassy area near the store. Store employees had to pull a woman passenger out of the burning car.

Both drivers and the woman were sent to the hospital but we don't know yet the extent of their injuries.

• by Anon Location: NB on Nov 17, 2010 at 04:20 AM
    There should definitely be some sort of more frequent testing after a certain age. My grandfather was definitely still driving after Alzheimer's kicked it. It was nothing for him to run off the road or poke along at a low rate of speed. Granted it wasn't anything for him to speed either. You never knew which way it was going to go. Eventually he had a fall that prevented his driving, but it was scary for everyone until then. Also, there seems to have been a lot of stories lately about elderly drivers running lights or turning into traffic. It fascinates me that no one has addressed this yet.
  • by Mike Location: Lenoir County on Nov 16, 2010 at 06:50 PM
    Just because someone is elderly, that does not mean they are incapable of driving. I agree that some elderly people should not be allowed to drive but before you go critisizing someones ability to drive you should take into consideration they may be capable of operating a motor vehicle safely.
  • by to Alan on Nov 16, 2010 at 06:12 PM
    Elderly drivers are given road tests? Everyone else is? When's the last time you were given a road test? I've been driving for over 25 years and the last time I had a written or road test was when I first applied for a driver's license at the age of 16. I am trying to find the logic of your statement and I just can't. I have first hand knowledge of an 88 year old driver who renewed his driver's license last year without so much as an eye test or a sign test. I actually know the driver in question and WATCHED it happen! And this driver in question has admittedly diminished eyesight and hearing. Why was this allowed to happen? You have all the answers, Alan, so please answer that question for me.
  • by David Location: Cove City on Nov 16, 2010 at 05:55 PM
    If you are far sighted enough, you will be 83 also one day and will not want your privileges taken away!!
  • by Sharena on Nov 16, 2010 at 05:47 PM
    i thank god im alive me and my boyfriend thanks to the workers at at store
  • by Angela on Nov 16, 2010 at 05:17 PM
    I agree with Alan. Accidents happen. Teenagers are given the same tests, as are people in their 20s and 30s and 40s, etc. Yet every week there are accidents. Are tests supposed to prevent accidents??? This man is probably torn to pieces over what happened. I hope I am in good shape and can drive when I am 83! We all just need to pay attention to our surroundings.
  • by Southern Girl Location: ENC on Nov 16, 2010 at 04:58 PM
    The elderly are NOT held to the same standards as other drivers. My husband was hit by an elderly woman 10 years ago and hurts everyday because of it, even after surgeries. The officer investigating the accident stated that he had sent her license to be reviewed due to numerous other accidents. This old woman has macular degeneration, and is unable to identify her neighbors who are in the same room, yet she still drives today. The doctors or someone should be held responsible for allowing people who are not physically capable of driving, because pride and ignorance will continue to keep them on the road. These people only care about themselves, NOT the safety of others, and they think they are NEVER wrong.
  • by Alan Location: Greenville on Nov 16, 2010 at 03:36 PM
    This could have happened if the driver had been 38 instead of 83. Elderly drivers are given road & written tests like anyone else. Too many people are looking for a reason to cast blame. Accidents happen.
  • by Sue Location: Beaufort county on Nov 16, 2010 at 02:55 PM
    When will elderly people be tested to see if they are able to drive.When we go into the golden years our reaction time begins to deminish.It seems nobody wants to call the shots.We owe it to these people to help save lives.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 108497339 - witn.com/a?a=108497339