Police Have Not Found Head Of Zahra Baker

Authorities have not recovered the head of a disabled North Carolina girl whose stepmother has been indicted on a murder charge and accused of dismembering the 10-year-old's body.

An autopsy report released Monday shows that medical examiners say the cause of Zahra Baker's death was undetermined homicidal violence. Examiners say many bones were not present for the autopsy, most notably Zahra Baker's skull. Several bones show cutting tool marks consistent with dismemberment.

Documents show that police learned months ago that the freckle-faced little girl was dismembered after she died, but an exact cause of death has not been revealed. The lack of a head may help to explain that -- and why it took four months for a charge in her death. Stepmother Elisa Baker was indicted earlier Monday on second-degree murder.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Previous Story

The stepmother of a disabled North Carolina girl has been indicted on a murder charge in the child's death.

A grand jury in Catawba County handed down the indictment Monday morning, charging Elisa Baker with second-degree murder. Authorities planned to discuss the case at a news conference later in the day.

Elisa Baker had previously been charged with obstructing justice in the investigation of Zahra Baker's death. The 10-year-old was reported missing in October, and police later found her remains.

A search warrant unsealed last month said that Elisa Baker led police to the places where they found Zahra's remains. She claimed that her husband, Adam Baker, dismembered the body. Adam Baker has denied that.

Attorneys for Elisa Baker did not return calls seeking comment Monday.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Feb 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    Then keep the so-called step-mother and father together in a closed interrogation chamber, with water and crackers, and video cameras, and interrogate them until they break down and tell the truth. I don't imply abuse, but 'breaking them down' together, in the same room. They simply have it too good separated, fed, with lights-out to sleep.
  • by pIRATE Location: Greenville on Feb 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    This story just gets worse and worse. Makes me very sad.
  • by JIMENEZ Location: EASTERN CAROLINA on Feb 22, 2011 at 06:21 AM
    UGGGGGHHHHH!!! SOME PEOPLE ARE SOOOO DISGUSTING!!! RIP ZAHRA BAKER YOU ARE A PRECIOUS ANGEL!!!!
  • by MB Location: Martin County on Feb 22, 2011 at 04:55 AM
    I have one Daughter and two Grand Daughters; I cannot even find words to express how I feel about what happened to this beautiful sweet child! She battled Cancer; she lost a leg; she had hearing loss; then to have it all end by the hands of a person that should have been the person who protected her, is unbelievably insane!
  • by Angie Location: Eastern NC on Feb 21, 2011 at 07:05 PM
    This is so horrible!! I have two girls who I love so much and to read this breaks my heart...I hope that it went quick for this precious little girl! Rest in Peace...Even if the parents dont get theirs here on earth they will stand before a judge one day that they will answer to!!
  • by The Truth on Feb 21, 2011 at 06:53 PM
    There Will No Plea Deal With THE FINAL JUDGE!
  • by Kane on Feb 21, 2011 at 04:10 PM
    Was it really necessary to have this as news? That her head is still missing? This whole thing is a nightmare.
  • by Neo Location: Reality on Feb 21, 2011 at 03:16 PM
    "Anonymous" of Feb 21 at 5:15PM, there might be a plea deal, but I doubt seriously it will be for the slap on the wrist that you are predicting. That is Catawba County, in western NC, heavily Republican, Christian and conservative. It ain't eastern NC, stronghold of socialism. It is a bit different there.
  • by Buford T Justice on Feb 21, 2011 at 02:35 PM
    If their's such as haunting someone I hope that girl does it. All My life I seen and heard of horrible crimes, but this just btought tears to my eyes. If thar women goes to prison she might not last long.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 21, 2011 at 02:15 PM
    The DA will plea her out and there will be no justice for that little girl, may she RIP.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116607103 - witn.com/a?a=116607103