Staying Safe From Crime

One police department in the east is trying to make shoppers aware of ways to prevent crimes from happening to them.

Greenville police officers stood outside of Wal Mart in Greenville Monday afternoon as they handed out flyers on how to keep shoppers and their belongings safe during holiday shopping.

According to the police department, keeping your car doors locked and GPS units out of plain sight can cut down on car break-ins.

Carlton Williams with the Greenville police department says there are many ways to stay safe when you're out getting things on that Christmas list. "They should know what they're surroundings are, who is watching, they should take a look around before they leave the front door of the business, always try to shop in pairs and go in the buddy system."

The Greenville police also encourage people to make ATM withdrawals during the day instead of at night.

• by REM Location: ENC on Dec 10, 2010 at 05:27 AM
    @OpenCarry: I think it's important that you direct people to resources on the official laws here in Grenville and NC, because there are more than just the places/occasions that you mention. I hope every law abiding citizen learns to protect their second amendment freedom; but it must be done in accordance with law. What we don't need is a bunch of idiots creating unnecessary panic. But for the record, I open carry more than I conceal carry.
  • by OpenCarry on Dec 9, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    The police have neither the duty or legal obligation to protect individual citizens--"Warren v. DC"--the US Supreme Court has ruled this to be the law. If you want to be safe while shopping, and can legally own a firearm, then Open Carry. You don't need a permit, and as long as you don't go anywhere that serves alcohol, or is posted "no guns", you are 100% legal... Personal Safety is your Personal Responsibility...
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Dec 7, 2010 at 06:31 AM
    I take my concealed handgun with me when I have to go shopping up around Norfolk, Chesapeake, Va Beach with my wife and have a permit for it. If you think Greenville has so much crime, then you would be amazed at how much it is around parts of the Tidewater area. Greenville is not as dangerous by any means. Usually if I can help it, I stick with the beach.
  • by REM Location: ENC on Dec 7, 2010 at 05:40 AM
    Here is the best tip that I can give you: Use common sense AND GET YOUR CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT :) (and actually use your 2nd amendment rights!)
  • by Moderators Nightmare on Dec 7, 2010 at 05:19 AM
    A true "redneck" would never use the term "peeps."
  • by redneck Location: enc on Dec 7, 2010 at 04:11 AM
    a deterrent seems to be the best solution; and when needed I take my very large Doberman with me to watch the truck. If I give the command "truck"! I can clip a $ 100 bill to the rear view mirror and leave the doors wide open, and I guarantee that when i'm done shopping the truck and the money will be intact. she gives one warning then you get the 'full monty'! one thing for sure if you get in the vehicle it will be because you shot her; and if you do that you will be all over the video cams,and will have to deal with a bunch of redneck white boys who would beat you on the courthouse steps! most criminals think thats too much trouble. guns are good but if ya shoot someone your in trouble; if your dog eats someone's hand for trespassing then justice serves itself;lol but seriously people shop walmart in tarboro not near the crowd or the crime. i refuse to give the city of greenville $1 single dollar in revenue until they curve some of their crime problems. i go elsewhere. later peeps.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 7, 2010 at 01:59 AM
    Staying safe from crime is mostly just common sense, which sadly most people don't have.
  • by G-girl Location: G-ville on Dec 6, 2010 at 08:09 PM
    Hey...I say...carry a gun...it is the only way to protect yourself...you can't count on anyone else...proven fact...and hey...if you know someone who you love that doesn't have a gun....what better Christmas gift...give the gift that keeps on giving...a sense of safety...gotta have it in this world....
  • by Scott on Dec 6, 2010 at 08:08 PM
    If they weren't handing out maps of how to get to Raleigh, New Bern, etc (oh hell, I'll even throw Rocky Mount in there) then they weren't telling people how to avoid being robbed while shopping.
  • by ZMan on Dec 6, 2010 at 07:38 PM
    Zzzzz

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111418554 - witn.com/a?a=111418554