State's First Child Flu Death Recorded This Season

The state has recorded its first child death during the current flu season.

State health officials say the six-year old died February 4th of complications from the flu. The child was at risk for complication from the flu because of underlying medical conditions, according to a news release.

To protect the family's privacy, the state will not release the child's hometown, county or sex.

Each year the flu kills an estimated 25,000 people in the United States, and hospitalizes more than 220,000 people. State health officials say it's not too late to get your flu shot, as the season can last well into the spring.

• by gypsy's gmama Location: enc on Feb 20, 2012 at 06:34 PM
    Rest In Peace Little one. So Sad for one so young. :(
  • by Hmm... Location: So??? on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    So why even report this story? I'm not really sure I know the meaning behind it. Ok a child has died from the flu virus but that's all that is basically being reported. This really doesn't help the public in anyway, we all know kids pass each year from the flu!
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Feb 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM in reply to Hmm...
      Maybe to increase awareness to younger parents? Things like not giving aspirin to children/teens with flu, watching for dehydration, and especially to visit an M.D. for children with current health problems. Sometimes people forget the flu can be worse for certain people.
        by Anonymous on Feb 20, 2012 at 04:46 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        Or perhaps get your flu shot. Kids too!
          by Formerly O.L.I. on Feb 22, 2012 at 01:55 PM in reply to
          Well, I don't get those. Have in the past, but not in the last 7 years. Guess it's okay for some.
  • by me Location: bayboro.n.c. on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    Our thoughts and prayers are with this family.
  • by :( on Feb 20, 2012 at 09:42 AM
    RIP Little guy!!! My thoughts go out to the family of this child!!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139706853 - witn.com/a?a=139706853