State Official Will Address Irene Insurance Gripes

North Carolina's insurance commissioner is touring areas of the state badly damaged by Hurricane Irene because of concerns that some residents trying to file claims are being mistreated.

Commissioner Wayne Goodwin will be in Washington County on Thursday and will tour Dare County on Friday.

Goodwin says his office has been fielding complaints from people who say they're not happy with the service they've been getting from insurers and claims adjusters.

During his tour, Goodwin plans to brief residents on the help they can still get from state and federal officials.

He also plans to announce the opening of several assistance sites for people with questions or complaints about the insurance claims process.

• by Tired Location: Aurora on Oct 7, 2011 at 05:06 PM
    WITN, will you please follow up on this report? I'd really like to know what the Insurance Commissioner plan's to do about the insurance companies that are trying to stick it to their customers. The insurance companies are being very inconsistent. How can one house receive full coverage and the house next door with the same amount of damage or more receive none?
  • by watch out on Oct 6, 2011 at 06:52 PM
    Don't go with State Farm. They won't pay anything. I have been with them for 35 years and never made a claim. I had only 1600.00 damage and they did not pay a dime to us. GOODBYE State Farm.
  • by pay attention on Oct 6, 2011 at 06:39 PM
    Please everyone read and look over your settlements. MANY insurance companies pay you the actual cash value when you are entitled to receive replacement value. They hope you do not notice and they do not explain it unless you ask and then it is vague. Not paying attention to this can and will cost you the money you are entitled to. ASK YOUR AGENT!!
  • by insurance poor on Oct 6, 2011 at 06:35 PM
    How is it possible that I have three types of insurance coverages and I am still not covered? Flood policy,wind policy and homeowners policy. Quite expensive too. Wind will not cover anything by saying everything was flood damage. Last I checked hurricanes produce wind. Homeowners covers nothing because I have wind and flood. Flood will only cover your house. Since everything else is covered on the other two policies I get nothing for it because they say it was flood and they do not have to cover it. I did what I should and purchased ALL the insurance available to me. Between the three EVERYTHING should be covered but of course it isn't. I can't wait to talk to the insurance commissioner myself.
  • by hope Location: NC on Oct 6, 2011 at 01:25 PM
    I regret that we did not file a grievance after hurricane Isabelle. We got the shaft after that storm and were digging deep into pockets, taking out loans, etc for necessary repairs. Some things just never got fixed...
  • by Evelyn Location: New Bern on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    I have had two appraisers come to my home, one was out of Texas and the other was out of Wilmington. They were both very professional and courteous to me. They could not understand the problem with getting my claim settled. As it turns out it was the company (Auto Owners) out of Michigan giving them a hard time. Now the appraiser out of Wilmington has been sent back again to get more pictures and statements. If I ever do get this settled I will definitely be looking to switch my homeowners and auto insurance.
  • by Bob on Oct 6, 2011 at 09:15 AM
    I'm sure that the adjusters get bonuses on how much they save the company. I've been doing appraisals and the insurers are only offering about 30% of the value of itmes that I'm appraising
  • by Me Location: BoCo on Oct 6, 2011 at 07:12 AM
    We have had a great experience with our insurance company. We have USAA and within a week of filing our claim we had an adjuster come by and had our money in hand. We've always had great customer service from them.
  • by Patricia Location: Washington on Oct 6, 2011 at 06:00 AM
    As much as we pay in insurance premiums, all claims should be handled professionally and in a timely manner. These adjustors act as if the money is coming out of their pocket. I have insurance and I pay my premiums because my insurance company says they'll be there for me when I need them...someone should explain that to the adjustors. The damage was caused by an act of nature, it's not something I did on purpose. I pay my premiums without question, without fail. It would be nice to be treated with respect and courtesy from the adjustors. Their behavior just adds insult to injury.
  • by 15 miles inland on Oct 6, 2011 at 04:26 AM
    as high as insurance.is.in coastal counties, the claims process should be first class service.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131203354 - witn.com/a?a=131203354