Expiration of Winter Weather Advisories

By: WITN Weather
By: WITN Weather

Despite some local roads still conducive to slick conditions, the winter weather advisories from this morning have now expired. As temperatures cool once again this evening we will continue to monitor the black ice situation for your Thursday morning commute.

For the remainder of today, the winds will pick up and keep wind chill values in the mid 20s through the day. Temps will moderate this weekend with upper 40 on Saturday, climbing to the mid 50s Sunday as well as Martin Luther King Jr. Day

CLICK HERE for closings and delays.

If you have weather photos, please submit them to WITN's Carolina Camera.


When severe weather strikes, stay tuned to WITN for the latest from Advanced VIPIR. Chief Meteorologist Marvin Daugherty and meteorologists Jim Howard, Bob Trihy and Matt Engelbrecht will work around the clock to give you the latest information and any warnings.

You can also tune into WITN's MyTV channel, featuring weather, news and much more. You can watch it over the air on 7.2, on Suddenlink Digital Cable Channel 167 and Time Warner Digital Cable on Channel 121.

Also, don't forget to download First Alert Weather for Your Desktop, absolutely free! Click here to download WITN’s First Alert.

You can also get informed with WITN's Interactive Radar. Click here to view it now.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Really? Location: DC on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    @QUESTION Location: ENC on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM: I think that on your deck, if the rain accumulates on the ice then there is a good chance it will refreeze. Being off the ground and therefore more susceptible to staying at or below freezing will only help (sort of like the reason over passes and bridges freeze first). On the roads is tougher to say (especially since I am not there), but temperatures will be in the upper 20s, so black ice is a real possibility. Regions that are icy today (shaded areas due to trees and over passes) are more susceptible, but not just limited to these regions. I think its a good night to kick back, grab a beer, and watch a movie, but if you have to drive to work or whatever just use some sense and drive slowly and on the major highways when possible (i.e. if you drive from Greenville to Tarboro, use Hwy 11 - Hwy 64 and not Hwy 33/43)!
  • by QUESTION Location: ENC on Jan 11, 2011 at 09:13 AM
    I live in Williamston and my deck is very very slippy bc of the sleet and now its raining. By tonight do you think that the roads will be bad or will it all melt away today his is a QUESTION FOR BRANDON OR REALLY....
  • by Dave Location: Laughing at all of you on Jan 11, 2011 at 09:04 AM
    All of you weather nerds were dead wrong.
  • by Really? Location: DC on Jan 11, 2011 at 08:39 AM
    Read a post that pointed out that there is snow on the ground in 49/50 states (exceptions include Florida and DC) must be all the hot air from the politicians that are keeping us from getting snow here in DC! (http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snow_model/images/full/National/nsm_depth/201101/nsm_depth_2011011105_National.jpg)
  • by Really? Location: DC on Jan 11, 2011 at 07:53 AM
    What people have to understand is that weather models, even the very high resolution ones, can not resolve super small scale changes that can impact a storm greatly. A great example is what the previous poster was mentioning in that the dry slot of air was not expected. This caused much of the precipitation to evaporate before it could reach the ground (it happens). Also, that snow band that set up was due to a warm front that was only present 2,500 feet off the ground, and again even high-resolution models can not forecast this because it is such a fine scale feature. In an ideal world, we would run a super high resolution weather model on the fastest computer in the world, but the reality of it is that we are limited in observations, computing power, and complete understanding of all the factors that contribute to all types of weather. Forecasting has improved greatly over the past 20-30 years, and will only continue to get better. And there will always be naysayers, 100% chance :)!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2011 at 07:32 AM
    correction...monday EVENING we fell into the 30% side...last night(monday late/tuesday am) we fell into the 80% side
  • by It was a good forecast Location: enc on Jan 11, 2011 at 07:16 AM
    This storm was forecasted nearly perfectly...The storm itself did exactly what they said it was going to considering where it developed, and how the warm air infused and caused everything to change over to freezing rain...The only thing they missed was the snow band that set up early over southeastern nc...as far as the NE counties only getting a little freezing rain and no snow...the forecast was for an 70% chance of snow on monday evening, changing to freezing rain...in other words...there was a 30% chance something would happen an cause it not to snow...that is exactly what happened...some dry air got pulled in over N.eastern NC and caused the precip to hold to the south...eventually it got here, but when it did it was right about the time they had forecasted it to change to a mix...They were exactly right...monday night we just happened to fall into the 30% window this time ...last night we fell into the 80% side (the forecast for last night was 80% chance of freezing rain)
  • by Lisa Location: Windsor on Jan 11, 2011 at 06:02 AM
    I guess Its the weather and you cant really ever know what its going to do, but dang....I really overprepared here in Bertie County.
  • by Duncan Location: Columbia on Jan 10, 2011 at 08:54 PM
    Columbia is Finally starting to see Sleet/Freezing Rain, as of now the Tyrrell County Schools are on a 2 hour delay, but if this freezing rain continues through the night I would thank school will cancel the whole day in the morning. Any of our trackers have any insight to if the freezing rain is going to continue or is it suppose to change to just rain. I'm not sure what the temp is or what is going to be in the morning. I guess it depends when it gets above freezing??? I Love Eastern NC and the fact that we all get sooo excited over winter weather and we all shut down when it happens, causing us to have family days, and party days before I built the family. Maybe if folks up north would do it sometimes they wouldn't be so uptight all the time. And then we wouldn't mind ya'll moving down here so much.
  • by Weatherman Location: Whoops.... on Jan 10, 2011 at 07:46 PM
    We said it would be less.....until it was more......once it was more, we said it would be more, only it was less. Do over?
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113037234 - witn.com/a?a=113037234
Gray Television, Inc.