NEW INFO: Soldier From Northampton County Killed

A soldier from Eastern Carolina has been killed overseas.

Corporal Will McLawhorn of Conway in Northampton County has been killed serving in the U.S. Army in Afghanistan. McLawhorn was one of six soldiers killed Sunday in Kandahar province, Afghanistan.

The soldiers were killed when an explosives-packed minibus blew up at the entrance of a joint NATO-Afghan base in Kandahar province.

They were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky.

McLawhorn was 23 years old. He was a graduate of Northeast Academy in Lasker and was the son of the Rev. Willie and Diane McLawhorn of Conway.

The Army says the suicide bomb attack used enough explosives to bring down the building the soldiers were in.

The division's commander, Maj. Gen. John Campbell, said during a videoconference from Afghanistan that 11 soldiers were wounded in the Sunday attack but many were able to return to duty.

Campbell said the attack vehicle was loaded with an estimated 1,000 pounds of explosives. He said the vehicle got past an Afghan security point near a joint NATO-Afghan outpost and hit a wall near the building where the six soldiers were.

• by MW667 on Dec 17, 2010 at 08:01 AM
    Letter from Abraham Lincoln to family of soldiers killed in Civil War. Executive Mansion, Washington, Nov. 21, 1864 Dear Madam, I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant-General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom. Yours, very sincerely and respectfully, Abraham Lincoln
  • by Frank Location: Easton, PA on Dec 15, 2010 at 08:44 PM
    I grew up with Will McLawhorn for half my life and he was a great man. I can't stop thinking of all the good times Will, my brothers, and I had. Everytime I think about the times we had my eyes are filled with tears. he was my brother from another mother. I'm sorry Mr. Willie and Mrs. Diane's loss of a terrific, honest, and loyal son. My thoughts and prayers goes out to them and the rest of Will's family and friends. Rest In Peace Will. One day we all will be togeter once again brother so rest well.
  • by Combs Location: Greenvillve(AFGAN) on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    I am solider from eastern nc as well serving in Afghanistan. Just would like to say my thoughts and prayers goes out to soliders family and fellow comrades. Thanks for your service brother! HOOAHHH
  • by Jody Davis Location: Colerain NC on Dec 14, 2010 at 02:12 PM
    I did not know Will personally but I do know his father from coming to the rest home to visit a patient I had plus coming into the store where my mom works. I'm from Northampton County and Will you will be truly missed and I know you are so loved right now. Your dad, mom, sister and family are in my prayers during this time as they are with the other families of the other men that were killed. We will miss you Will very very much.
  • by MARGE Location: ENC on Dec 14, 2010 at 01:58 PM
    I DID NOT KNOW THIS YOUNG MAN BUT MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE FAMILY AND MANY FRIENDS. TO WILL, I SAY "THANK YOU" FOR WILLING TO SACRIFICE YOUR LIFE FOR OUR COUNTRY SO WE CAN ENJOY OUR FREEDOMS HERE IN AMERICA. WE NEED TO SAY A SPECIAL PRAY THIS CHRISTMAS SEASON TO ALL THE MILITARY FAMILIES. MAY GOD BLESS AND BE WITH EACH AND EVERYONE OF THE MILITARY MEN AND WOMEN WHO RISK THEIR LIVES EVERYDAY FOR US. I WILL NOT FORGET THE SACRIFICES THAT YOU HAVE MADE SO THAT MY FAMILY CAN LIVE IN FREEDOM. THANK YOU, WILL, FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR NATION THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. GOD BLESS AMERICA!
  • by Bruce Brenda Everett Location: Conway on Dec 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    Will, you will be sorely missed. My wife and son Michael remember the first time we met you and your sister outside on the steps to house of our lord. We stopped and chatted with you both and you welcomed us to this fantastic community of Conway. You really made a impression on our loving son Michael. I was so glad to see you the last time you were home on leave. I can tell you this in my prayers that you have touched a lot of us here in Conway with your warm smile that you used to flash when you walked by. And I know that you have made everyone and I mean everyone very proud of you and the job you were doing.. As you had told me when I asked you why you wanted to do this when you were home .. you said to me because you wanted to make a difference.. Well me friend I know you have done this and I know your parents are so very very proud of you for the job you have done.. Now my friend it is time to rest in the arms of our shining Lord and God the Father. our prayers to your family,
  • by SUM Location: NC on Dec 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    Our prayers are with the entire McLawhorn family during this difficult time. Will was a gift from God, and our lives were enriched just by knowing and loving him. May he rest in peace.
  • by broken heart Location: anc on Dec 14, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    God Bless our hero Will and may heaven smile on his family.
  • by hope Location: NC on Dec 14, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    Thank you Will for your courage and bravery. You are a true HERO! God bless the McLawhorn family.
  • by Anonymous Location: ROANOKE RAPIDS, NC on Dec 14, 2010 at 09:03 AM
    RIP WILL MCLAWHORN...I WILL ALWAY'S REMEMBER YOU AS OUR HERO...YOU HAD A GOLDEN HEART, ALWAY'S WILLING TO HELP ANYONE, EVEN IF IT WAS JUST TO BRIGHTEN THEIR DAY....YOU WILL BE TRUELY MISSED...MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS DURING THIS TERRIBLE TIME...

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111840214 - witn.com/a?a=111840214