Snow Hill Walmart Express Opens Wednesday

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

The new Walmart Express store in Snow Hill will have its grand opening Wednesday.

Town administrator Dana Hill says the store will employ 20 part-time and 4 full-time workers . He says the store will have a pharmacy and will sell about 10 to 13 thousand products, including some groceries. Another Walmart Express is planned for Ayden. The stores are part of a new business model for Walmart - smaller stores, which can squeeze into big cities or be supported in small towns.

• by Anonymous on Oct 19, 2011 at 04:09 PM
    Let the shoplifting and armed robberies begin! Good thing GC has a big new jail!
  • by Anonymous on Oct 19, 2011 at 04:08 PM
    The building has got to be the ugliest colored and shaped building in town! In my opinion it is a eye sore, it could have been a lot more arcitectually appealing. Who ever approved the buildings design and color scheme should be fired!
  • by GC Resident Location: GC on Oct 19, 2011 at 09:45 AM
    People shop where they can afford to shop. I have at one time or another shopped at ALL of the businesses in Snow Hill and two facts remain the same...In these tough economic times people buy what will do the job the cheapest (just as employers do) and there is just no variety in Snow Hill. I can't get everything I need in Snow Hill, there is no way. I hope this will change a little with the Wal-Mart opening in Snow Hill. I will still shop Family Dollar, Food Lion, Home Pride...It just depends on what I need and who has it cheapest. I am however on strike from going to the DG in Snow Hill, Dalphyne...you are wrong about their customer service, they could stand to get rid of a few of their employees and their nasty attitudes.
  • by Alice Location: Farmville on Oct 19, 2011 at 09:19 AM
    Good for Snow Hill. Farmville has a Roses and Dollar General. It doesn't matter what time of the day or night you shop there, be prepared to WAIT IN LINE!!! Not very different from WALMART. Consumer Service is a lost service. The employees take their sweet time helping you.
  • by Dalphyne on Oct 19, 2011 at 08:48 AM
    WalMart have a lot of things but I believe it will not affect the Dollar General business that much. Some of WalMart prices are higher and only hiring 4 full time employees and 20 part-time; this is not helping with people needing jobs. Dollar General will be fine because of their prices and they provide great consumer service.
      by Christy on Oct 19, 2011 at 02:09 PM in reply to Dalphyne
      There's no way you are talking about the Dollar General in Snow Hill having good customer service!
  • by Well on Oct 19, 2011 at 06:54 AM
    The beginning of the end for Dollar General and Family Dollar.
      by Maybe Not on Oct 19, 2011 at 09:06 AM in reply to Well
      If you remember, Roses went downhill after opening a few "Roses Express".
  • by Bubba on Oct 19, 2011 at 06:17 AM
    Corportate Dystopia here we come.
  • by walmart non supporter Location: wayne co on Oct 19, 2011 at 06:05 AM
    I shop Foodlion for groceries, Family $ and Dollar General for other needs. Walmart has a monopoly on just about everything and that is not right, when are people going to wake up and see this. If you shop more at smaller stores prices would drop if they got the demand from the manufacturers. I know internet retail, had pre ordered large inventory of an item but guess what when it was time for them to ship, Walmart got entire inventory, was that fair? I had even paid for them. Only to be told sorry here is your money back. Walmart sold items $5-6 more than I had advertised for preorders.
      by All In One Place on Oct 19, 2011 at 07:12 AM in reply to walmart non supporter
      Consumers don't want to travel around town to five different stores to get one thing from this store and this thing from another store. Wal-Mart does have a monopoly and there will be nothing you can ever do about it. Not saying that I support Wal-Mart taking over the world but they are the most efficient business ever. Consumers want to go to one place to get everything they need at low prices, which is exactly what Wal-Mart offers. Convenience.
      by not a shopper on Oct 19, 2011 at 09:16 AM in reply to walmart non supporter
      Its not convenient when you have to wait 15 minutes to get some chicken cut up and get feed up and leave. Its also not right when someone has put in several apps, pasted the other test that seems to be stupid and you are white only not to get a reply until you change your race. now what is wrong with that picture. I shop Foodlion and walk right next door to Family Dollar. Xmas shopping will be done at Kmart this year since I have checked the Websites and Kmart and Walmart are the same price on LeapFrog items, and Kmart has more kids movies. I for one can live without Walmart, sorry customer service to say the least. From what I have read on economic sites, Family Dollar is doing pretty well. Have not checked Dollar General. Don't speak for all consumers.
  • by Fed Up on Oct 19, 2011 at 05:16 AM
    An Express may not mean much to the people who prefer to go out of town to spend their money. However, I'm from the old school and want to keep my money at home. I try to spend with local folks who benefit from my wages.The express to me means no more $8.00 chickens from Food Lion !
      by Anonymous on Oct 19, 2011 at 06:02 AM in reply to Fed Up
      If you are truly old school and want to keep your money at home, you would choose to support locally OWNED businesses rather than supporting the Walton family and their 93 billion dollar net worth.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 19, 2011 at 03:52 AM
    I agree with vince also.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132110038 - witn.com/a?a=132110038