Snow Hill Recreating Police Department, After Decades Without Local Force

Snow Hill is in the process of forming its own police department. The town has contracted police work to the Greene County Sheriff's Office since the 1980s, but says it wanted a policing approach that focused more on ordinance enforcement.

Town administrator Dana Hill says the town will ease into law enforcement- hiring a chief and then up to 3 officers, meaning at times, the chief might be the only one around to respond to calls.

"I think we will approach that through a mutual aid agreement with the sheriff's office so that his deputies can respond with our chief and vice versa," said Hill.

Hill says the new police department will cost the town about the same amount as the deputies do each year. He says applications for police chief are due Wednesday.

• by ss Location: snow hill on Oct 6, 2011 at 07:26 AM
    Willie, U R right Bennie Heath might save the town money, he sure don't spend any on up keep
  • by belles Location: snow hill on Oct 6, 2011 at 04:34 AM
    Dalphyne I would Love to tell you who Bennie Heath really is, but I'm sure it wan't be approved for print
  • by SS-info Location: Greene County on Oct 5, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    I thank Mr.Hill is on point,if the Sheriff is not trying to do the things that is needed in the town limits then I support him and the Town of Snow. Excellent Job Mr.Hill
  • by WILLIE Location: SNOW HILL on Oct 5, 2011 at 06:58 AM
    More wasted money for poor greene county.Put Mr.Benny Heath in charge and he will show you how to save money and keep the county safe.
      by Dalphyne on Oct 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM in reply to WILLIE
      Willie - who is Mr. Benny Heath?
        by Anonymous on Oct 5, 2011 at 05:50 PM in reply to Dalphyne
        lol willie's imaginary friend
  • by JD Gotrocks, III Location: Kinston on Oct 5, 2011 at 02:53 AM
    As a Kinstonian, I'm proud of our poor less fortunate neighbors to the North. We are so fortunate in Kinston, we have traffic lights, electricity, indoor plumbing, we are truly blessed. Congratulations to Snew Hole from Kinston. Did I mention I'm from Kinston?
      by from GC on Oct 5, 2011 at 03:53 AM in reply to JD Gotrocks, III
      an look at all the crime in kinston, yes you are fortunate you have not been a victim of a crime or shot,and by your spelling, yea you are from kinston
      by Anonymous on Oct 5, 2011 at 05:51 PM in reply to JD Gotrocks, III
      I wouldnt tell anyone
  • by Me Location: Close to Greene Co on Oct 5, 2011 at 02:29 AM
    This is a move by the Snow Hill board to show Lemmie he doesnt own Greene County,they tried to work on some issues with him and he said this is my county I'll run it how I want.I hope the Snow Hill PD works out and maybe Greene County can get a new Sheriff
      by Laura on Oct 5, 2011 at 06:25 AM in reply to Me
      Amen!!!!
  • by CC on Oct 4, 2011 at 07:13 PM
    Based on what they are willing to pay, they are not going to get much. They will get what they pay for, good or bad.
  • by Deputy Dawg Location: Snow Hill on Oct 4, 2011 at 06:47 PM
    I think it is an excellent thing their doing. The citizens of Snow Hill deserve to have their on department instead of services being contracted out. Hopefully Sheriff Smith won't try to micromanage the police department like he does "his" Sheriff's Office.
      by from here on Oct 4, 2011 at 08:43 PM in reply to Deputy Dawg
      If this was facebook and a like button!!! MICROMANAGE
      by Justice on Oct 4, 2011 at 09:49 PM in reply to Deputy Dawg
      Micromanage?? The buck stops with Sheriff Smith, you can bet he needs his hands on every aspect of his department.... Do you want another Pitt county sheriff problem in Greene co?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131111863 - witn.com/a?a=131111863