NEW INFO: Shrimp Boat Sinks In Pamlico Sound

U.S. Coast Guard officials say a shrimp boat has sunk in the Pamlico Sound. Officials say the name of the vessel is Cradles Hope.

The call came in around 9:15 p.m. Tuesday of a 70 foot commercial fishing vessel with three people on board. All three were rescued by a nearby fisherman working the area and no injuries were reported, according to the Coast Guard.

The boat is now sitting on the bottom of the sound, south of Swan Quarter near the ferry dock. It's about three miles from Great Island. The Coast Guard says the water is about 15 foot deep there, so the pilot house and outriggers are still visible on the surface of the water.

Officials say they are investigating what caused the boat to sink.

The Coast Guard is warning other boaters in the area to watch out for the wreckage. A pollution investigator is currently on the scene, though the Coast Guard says the fuel spilled from the sinking is not a great amount. Officials said it was similar to fuel that would enter the water on any typical day.

The names of those on board have not been released. The Coast Guard says they cannot release that information during an active investigation.

• by Bloke Location: New Bern on Aug 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    I'm just jealous because I don't get to fish for a living.
  • by Neal Location: Greenville on Aug 11, 2011 at 03:10 PM
    Listen up and let an old salt educate you since you have no idea what you are talking about. I spent several years with the U.S. Coast Guard and have fished and shrimped the past twenty five years. It's hard and honest work and the conditions are not always ideal. Do you really think that someone is going to burn lots of high dollar fuel, pay for their commercial lic., and pay taxes on their catch which is now limited thanks to our government to catch something that's not eatible. Wrong Dream on!!! May the next seafood you eat, hopefully will choke you, have respect, because it is becoming a lost art. God Bless the fishermen, Clear skies, and calm seas.
  • by Watcher Location: Bertie on Aug 11, 2011 at 01:07 PM
    It is incomprehensible how some of you are so mean to others. I have no connection to the fishing industry, but appreciate the hard work that means I can have seafood when I want it. State regulations keep tabs on how much is taken. Be kind, people...you'll be surprised how much difference it makes in your life.
  • by sierraleigh1973 Location: s'boro on Aug 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    Wow, I thought people at JD News were ignorant. Someone's livelyhood sunk for goodness sake. How in the h3ll does that have anything at all to do with the fishing industry? I'm equally glad noone was hurt. I hope the owners are able to recover quickly.
  • by Just Me on Aug 11, 2011 at 08:32 AM
    Who cares about all this mess you all are talking about. Sorry that they lost their boat, but glad that they are ok.
  • by Emily Location: Pamlico Beach on Aug 11, 2011 at 06:25 AM
    So glad to hear that all of the people on board got off safe. I know it could have been a lot worse if someone hadn't been there to pick them up, the boat that my boyfriend worked on capsized in March, and there was no one around, they are very lucky.
  • by Eddie Foster Location: Pamlico Beach on Aug 10, 2011 at 07:42 PM
    Why would you say you hate the Captain lost his boat to then add it is one less raping our inland waters?? If you have nothing good to say then don't say nothing! You my friend are ignorate to the fact 5 LBS of bycatch to 1 lbs shrimp maybe at times in places but thats part of life how many animals die from raping our forest to build your house??? I have fished all my life up and down the eastern seaboard. You see its like a farmers field if he doesn't plow it it grows up the land is worthless. I know its hard for you to understand this. I tell you what don't mow your yard no more this year and see what happens to it o yeah by the way sure they would be alot of little critters happy that they didn't have their habitat raped by your mower!!
  • by local fisherman Location: belhaven on Aug 10, 2011 at 02:53 PM
    It dont matter bycatch or no bycatch all that matters it the guys are safe
      by Daniel on Aug 10, 2011 at 04:32 PM in reply to local fisherman
      Your right it just makes me made when people bash us just trying to make a living
  • by bert Location: Pamlico Beach on Aug 10, 2011 at 01:36 PM
    to Bloke: I don't see money coming out of the water I see a way of taking care of my family. I would also like to say that I don't see it funny about a man losing his way of living. Him and his crew are good friends of mine and I am glad no one got hurt. I AM A PROUD COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN
  • by Sandy on Aug 10, 2011 at 01:23 PM
    The story is about a fishing boat sinking, not what's right and wrong with the fishing industry. I hate when people start using these stories as a place to mess with people's emotions. That being said, I'm glad no one was hurt.
      by BUBBA on Aug 10, 2011 at 06:57 PM in reply to Sandy
      WE GOT SHRIMP KABOBS

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127440898 - witn.com/a?a=127440898