Shops Near Camp Lejeune Fear Off-Limits List

Commanders at North Carolina military bases carry a big stick when they decide a business is preying on troops with money to spend.

The Daily News of Jacksonville reported Monday that listing civilian-owned businesses that troops are forbidden to patronize has forced shops to change their ways or go out of business.

Just 14 of the 42 businesses on Camp Lejeune's list are still open. Thirteen were added to the list this year.

The newspaper reported the Marine base listed mostly old auto shops and closed prostitution dens until commander Col. Daniel Lecce this year banned two dozen shops known to sell designer drugs marketed as incense.

Military installations in every service branch maintain a similar list warning troops away from dangerous, illegal or predatory businesses.

• by Don Location: Jacksonville on Sep 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    I enjoy the tattoo parlors and adult institutions! Moving the strip clubs away from Lejeune wont teach the Marines to respect women that was your job from the very beginning. I do agree that an amusement park should be looked into and placed at the end of Western Ext. It would provide quality fun and revenue for the community and raise property value as well!
  • by Blueyes Location: Newbern on Aug 29, 2011 at 01:09 PM
    Why don't you take the strip clubs out of the town? Teach the military to have respect for women and make it a town families can be proud of.
  • by teresa Location: michigan on Aug 28, 2011 at 05:27 AM
    I have been to Jacksonville multiple times visiting my Daughter and Son-in-law, I am amazed that the City does not bring in more Family things to do, there are so many families living there. Nothing but, high cost food stores, tatoo parlors, strip clubs, and car dealerships. No Zoo, Amuzement Parks, Splash Parks, nothing for kids and families
  • by Marine Mom Location: Utah on Aug 24, 2011 at 07:00 AM
    My son is a Marine stationed in Jacksonville and I have seen this a real problem. Unfortunately my son has trusted the wrong Car Dealerships,repair shops, tattoo shops in Jacksonville. After spending a lot of time in Jacksonville with my son I think the list should triple in size. Shame on Jacksonville City Government for letting businesses in their city prey on our military troops. Without that base there probably would not be a Jacksonville, NC.
      by Retiree E9 on Aug 26, 2011 at 04:39 PM in reply to Marine Mom
      Untie your apron strings let him grow up and get it right for himself.
  • by Hoshie Location: Havelock on Aug 23, 2011 at 07:41 AM
    File this under obvious. I can see why civilian places would be scared of the list.
  • by Max on Aug 22, 2011 at 09:34 PM
    There is (or was) a gas station just off base, over behind Blockbuster, that promenantly displayed on their board outside that they sold spice for some much an ounce. Really? Go ahead and advertise it. But some of these businesses will probably say they are going to change and then continue to operate illegally.
  • by Max on Aug 22, 2011 at 09:34 PM
  • by Z on Aug 22, 2011 at 06:49 AM
    Maybe they should decide which customers are gonna bring in the most business? In any military town if you get put on the list you may as well close your doors! Maybe they should not engage in shady business pratices then they would not have anything to worry about.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 22, 2011 at 06:23 AM
    To Anon - YOUR RIGHT! They are Schisters!!! RUDE TOO. My husband and I told them a price we could pay and then sent us off to the owner where we would not agree to a sudden price increase...it got UGLY. That was at the NEWPORT USED DEALERSHIP on 70.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 22, 2011 at 05:25 AM
    There are too many car lots out there preying on our Marines and Sailors.... I won't mention any names...but they are located in Bogue and Newport...

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128171578 - witn.com/a?a=128171578