Sheriff's Office Employee Killed In Car Accident

According to troopers Jimmy Bryant was killed Sunday morning in a car accident. He worked at the Pitt County Sheriff's Office as a computer specialist.

Troopers say the accident happened at the intersection of NC 903 and Brown Rd around 3:30 a.m. Sunday morning. They say Bryant was driving a 2007 Nissan Altima on Brown Rd. when he failed to stop at a stop sign at the intersection of NC 903. Bryant then ran off the road straight ahead and collided with a ditch and a tree.

Troopers say they are waiting for the medical examiners report to see whether drugs or alcohol was involved and to know the cause of death.

Troopers say Bryant was not wearing a seat belt, but his airbag was deployed. Highway Patrol is still investigating.

Bryant was 43 years old. According to Sheriff Neil Elks Bryant had worked for 15 years as a Micro Computer Specialist with the Sheriff’s Office.

Elks says, “In law enforcement, we unfortunately deal with tragedy all too often, but when it is a colleague, it makes it all the more difficult. The Pitt County Sheriff’s Office is deeply saddened. Jimmy’s passing is a tragic loss to his family, his friends, and his co-workers. His many years of tireless service and loyalty to the Pitt County Sheriff’s Office, and his abundant knowledge will never be forgotten. And his dedication will be greatly missed.”

Bryant leaves behind a wife, two young daughters, and his parents, all of Pitt County.

• by Mary Laura on Mar 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    My heart is broken knowing your not here! I know your in a wonderful place watching over your family! I have never met a person as gentle and kind! Rest in peace my friend! We all love you!
  • by Heather on Mar 8, 2011 at 06:49 AM
    Jimmy will be greatly missed! I will miss seeing his cheerful smile and him carrying that Grumpy(Seven Dwarfs)coffee mug through the hallway. And even though we had our differences about UNC basketball, I am glad they one that game against Duke for you!! I was ready to hear you give me grief Monday morning, but I know you are looking down and laughing. My prayers are with Marti and the girls because we all know how much they meant to Jimmy!
  • by Ginny on Mar 7, 2011 at 07:57 PM
    Jimmy was a great man with a good heart. I will miss seeing him and catching up at Belk. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I love y'all
  • by Maria H Location: Greenville on Mar 7, 2011 at 05:31 PM
    Jimmy was the best! He will be missed greatly. There is nothing that Jimmy was not willing to do for others. Endless of times he helped me with my computer problems. If anyone was cheerful, helpful and kind, it was Jimmy. I still feel like he's going to be walking by the courthouse saying hi to everyone with his cheerful smile and positive attitude. I am glad and lucky that I got to say to him "Jimmy you're my hero" many many times after he helped me fix or figure out my computer endless times. He is one of those people that will be hard to forget. I am blessed to have known him. My prayers go out to his family and his two girls whom he loved so much and always talked about. Now he is heaven and hopefully one day we'll all get to see his smiling face again up there.
  • by Bill Location: Pitt County on Mar 7, 2011 at 03:48 PM
    It was my pleasure to have worked with Jimmy for the last 15 years or so. He always had my back and I did my best to return the favor. Jimmy was a dedicated public servant and his tireless efforts were appreciated by those who worked with him. I also enjoyed our occasional talks about family, and I know how much he loved his daughters and wife. I am heartsick that those girls have lost their daddy and his wife has lost her husband. I hope that they can one day see all these kind comments and know what kind of man their daddy was.
  • by Shareen Location: Winterville, NC on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    I am devastated for the family. I see his children often, as I work at the gym where they come to the Kids Club to play and draw pictures while mom and dad work out. He was such a sweet daddy. The girls would run up to him with huge smiles and hug him when he would just pop in to see how they were doing or come to pick them up. My heart goes out to the family. I am sending all of my love and strength their way.
  • by John Location: Pitt County on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    Jimmy,I will miss talking to you about Tarheels Basketball and Miami Dolphins Football.I kept the promise I made to you Friday by not "tearing" anything up so you could watch the Carolina-Duke game!Thanks for all you did for us and my prayers and thoughts are with your family.
  • by Whitfield Location: Raleigh on Mar 7, 2011 at 08:42 AM
    So sad to learn of this tragic news. I have known Jimmy for a long time as we use to work together when we were both starting our careers at (then Pitt County Data Processing). I'm so sad to learn this. My thoughts and prayers to his family.
  • by Deborah Location: Greenville on Mar 7, 2011 at 08:41 AM
    Jimmy Bryant was one of the greatest guys, most knowledgeable people with the computer software. He will be greatly missed. Jimmy is not going to be replaced here at work. My heart is breaking. I loved Jimmy. We worked closely for 12 years. I still can't believe he is gone. I pray for his wife and two young daughters and his parents. I pray for our family at work who are at a loss. Jimmy, I love you and I will miss you. A piece of my heart dies along with you.
  • by Steve H. Location: Winterville on Mar 7, 2011 at 07:56 AM
    RIP buddy! You were a good man and I was proud to know you.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117496813 - witn.com/a?a=117496813