Sheriff Asks Residents To Be On The Lookout

Officials in Pitt County are asking residents to be on the lookout after a recent string of break-ins.

In a press conference Saturday afternoon Sheriff Neil Elks said there have been six reported safe break-ins since Christmas in Pitt County. He said they need the community's help to try and find the suspect or suspects.

Elks said the suspects are choosing homes that are far back from roads and they are getting in through back doors and windows.

He said, “It's like they know where they're going and they know how long they're going to be gone. They're very similar in nature. The suspects are very clean. They take the time to put the crime scene back the way it was before they came. They close the windows and patch things up."

The latest incident was discovered at a home in the 5900 block of Reedy Branch Road.

If you have any information on these break-ins contact the Pitt County Sheriff’s department or Pitt-Greenville Crime stoppers.

• by How many Location: How many on Feb 28, 2011 at 04:08 PM
    How many breakins have been reported and how many have been solved?
  • by social responsibility on Feb 27, 2011 at 07:25 PM
    Any gun owner that does not take reasonable measures to keep his firearms from falling into the hands of thieves that can/will burglarize his home is being negligent. This is not Mayberry RFD anymore. It is a matter of being a socially responsible citizen to not let your weapons get into the hands of children or criminals. At the least, hide them somewhere a thief will not think about looking. That is not easy to do. Let a local law enforcment agency hold them for you if you go on vacation. Home alarms and safes are reasonable and logical measures to use nowadays.
  • by pete Location: grifton on Feb 27, 2011 at 05:47 PM
    I knew a guy who use to break in businesses back in the mid 1960's the police kept watch for him and got a cut of the stolen good's.how do the crook's know who has a safe?maybe the guy who sold the safe also sell's a list of who bought them.
  • by Tiger on Feb 27, 2011 at 04:31 PM
    To Concerned...obviously you dont understand the difference between asking and begging. Sheriff Elks is merely asking us as citizens to keep our eyes and ears open so that they can get some leads on the perps. If the robbers are cleaning up after themselves it leaves very little for the Sheriff's dept to go on. It works best when the citizens and the law work together. Because I tell you what, I live off the road and if I saw one of my neighbors getting rob you best believe that I am going to be on the phone calling 911 and I would hope that someone would do that for me. I hardly see it as our Sheriff doesnt know how to do his job. He is very competent and I know this because I know him personally.
  • by US-First Location: Greenville on Feb 27, 2011 at 01:18 PM
    I love the tough words w/o addresses or names. Classic small dog w/o teeth yapping. I'll make a somewhat different plea. Please don't break into my house whether I am there or not. You won't get much and possibly one of us gets killed. Good luck.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    Dummies! why break into an occupied home when there are so many easy pickings to be had in homes that are unoccupied without any alarm system or effective safe in them. Then, your guns will be gone and on the streets. That'll then make you responsible for more weapons on the streets.
  • by You know who you robbed! Location: Ayden on Feb 27, 2011 at 09:35 AM
    Hello to the coward that broke into my house in Ayden. Feel free to come back because you didn't get all of my guns. Stop back over.... this time come during the day when I"m here. Atleast give me a chance to defend my property you sorry piece of crap! And don't sit down at that store and watch my schedule like a punk. You can haved what you got from me the first time. Now show your face and come see me!!!!
  • by Really on Feb 27, 2011 at 05:41 AM
    Why does Mr. Elks need the help of citizens? He stated in his campaign "promises" that his department would solve every breakin.... Can WITN replay that video?
  • by Come on over! Location: ENC on Feb 27, 2011 at 05:17 AM
    Dear Mr. Robber..... Come on over. I have a special 9mm that wants a friend. Don't worry, I'll shoot you when your facing me so I will adhere to the laws of NC.
  • by Boats Location: Beaufort on Feb 27, 2011 at 04:53 AM
    "Say hello to my little friend".

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116984913 - witn.com/a?a=116984913