NEW INFO: Second Wreck Within 10 Minutes Proves Fatal For Driver

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

The Highway Patrol has identified the victim in a deadly car crash involving an SUV that was in a hit and run wreck just moments earlier.

Troopers say the single vehicle accident happened around 11:50 Tuesday morning on Highway 11 North near House Road in Pitt county. They say the same Jeep Commander was involved in a hit and run accident less than 10 minutes earlier on Highway 11, near Highway 903.

The victim has been identified as Ray Marsh, 44 years old, from Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Troopers say at this point it is unknown whether alcohol or drug use was a factor, but they do say speeding did play a role in the accident. Marsh was thrown about 30 feet after the SUV went down a ravine and rolled in a field.

• by MH Location: georgia on Jun 10, 2011 at 08:24 PM
    I am in total disbelief about this story. I knew Ray from working with him when he was in Georgia, and I cant make myself believe that he would intentionally do this. He was one of the sweetest kindest individually who walked this earth. RIP Ray. God bless and comfort his family and friends.
  • by Stacy Location: MD on Jun 10, 2011 at 01:58 PM
    I'm very shocked and saddened to hear of Rays passing. I worked with Ray about 7/8 years ago and I would say he was a "Gentle Giant". Definately a man of God and never had a harsh word to say about anyone. I'm glad I had a chance to know him. I will remember him for his great smile and laugh and the way he used to tilt his head to the side when he talked to you. My prayers go out to Ray's family and friends. May God forever bless you and keep you and know that God now has another soilder in his Army. Probably up there right now managing someone. :-) Stay strong. R.I.P Ray
  • by GW Crewmember Location: Hampton Roads on Jun 10, 2011 at 01:39 PM
    Ray proved time and time again to be a genuine friend and I was privileged to know this man. My prayers continue for Ray's family and friends!
  • by Tracy Minggia-Lee Location: Portsmouth, Va on Jun 10, 2011 at 07:37 AM
    Ray Marsh was a true Man of God. He cared about people, his community, his employees and most of all his family. UNTIL there are known facts, no one has the right to judge, If you KNEW Mr. Marsh, this is not in his character, he would have stopped to see if people where okay. This could have been a medical emergency, that could have affected anyone. No matter what has been negatively stated, there is a life lost and I Thank God for the Life that Ray lived before us. He was a gentle man with a Big Smile and a Hearty laugh. Ray loved Life and he encouraged all those around him to live the life that God gave you. I am so glad I had the opportunity to have him in my season of life. He will be truly missed. I THANK GOD FOR HIS LIFE AND HIS LEGACY.. TO THOSE OF US WHO SINCERELY KNEW HI,.Jeremiah 29:11
  • by Jondahlyn Location: Norfolk, Va on Jun 9, 2011 at 09:22 PM
    I praise God for the Life that Ray lived! He was a True Man of God & the Life that He lived spoke for Him. His words of wisdom to live a life of "Balance" will resonate in my spirit for a lifetime. I pray that the Perfect Peace of God, Rest, Rule, & Abide with his Family.
      by Tracy on Jun 10, 2011 at 07:42 AM in reply to Jondahlyn
      I agree completely with you Jondalyn. Ray was a blessing to so many of us and he will be surely missed. God allowed him to touch many, many people and I am Proud to say Ray was MY FRIEND.
  • by bert on Jun 9, 2011 at 04:52 PM
    I'm saddened by the loss of my dear friend. starting at the same company twenty something years ago..worked side by side for a long time..my heart goes out to his family, he will be missed by me and others...RIP Ray Ray
  • by Bethany Location: Georgia/Michigan on Jun 9, 2011 at 02:56 PM
    Ray, was a God fearing Man that cared for every person he met. He always pushed for the best in his co-workers. He is and will continue to be missed. I pray peace over his family members as they lay this Man of integrity to rest.
  • by so on Jun 9, 2011 at 07:59 AM
    Please stop this is my brother and our family is constantly reading the blogs and getting more and more upset. This is not helping our family heal. He is truley missed and will always be by many people. I do give thanks to whomever responded to the incident and pray for those with negative thoughts.
  • by KD22 Location: Georgia on Jun 9, 2011 at 07:25 AM
    Ray was a great man. This was not his character. There had to be something wrong with him in that car. I will not respond to the negative comments because these people will never know Ray. I just pray you don't experience the loss of such a great person and have to read bad things about them.
  • by A friend on Jun 9, 2011 at 01:09 AM
    Ray will truly be remembered as a humble, friendly, encouraging leader who always had a positive word to say along with a dashing smile. He was a manager with 14years of service. You really can't judge a book by its cover. He had a lot of health issues, along with a sick mother and sick wife. Until the medical records come there is no need to bad-mouth a dead man. Let his soul rest in peace. This could have been any of our loved-ones young or old. So please let's be sensitve to his death. This has nothing to do with political views and fire-fighters. It has to do with life. Any of us could go to sleep tonight and not wake up tomorrow. Not to mention he was avery god-fearing man that read his bible day in and day out. I'm sure the Lord will watch over him and his family as we continue to keep in in our prayers
      by To friend on Jun 9, 2011 at 06:17 AM in reply to A friend
      I'm sorry for your loss friend. I guess we all struggle to understand when something like this happens. I think many are trying to figure out why he ran after getting into a wreck? Could you give us some insight as to how his health may have played a role in his actions?
        by ann on Jun 9, 2011 at 09:38 AM in reply to To friend
        Its none of your business why this happened. People need to give this family some space-they are in freat pain.
      by Anonymous on Jun 9, 2011 at 07:21 AM in reply to A friend
      Thank you for posting these comments. Ray was, among other things, a son, a father, a husband, an armed forces veteran and a manager. I knew him as a manager who was able to identify talent and possibility in everyone. He was a man without a trace of self-centeredness – one of the few people I have come across who seemed to believe, at the center of his being, that trying to get others to a better a place in life is what life is all about.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123418664 - witn.com/a?a=123418664