Schools Still Facing Millions In Cuts

Schools here in the East and across the state are scrambling to figure out just how much they'll have to cut and where to make those cuts. That's because the State Senate approved a spending plan for next year that requires schools across the state to cut millions.

In Pitt County--the school system would have to cut 6.8 million dollars for next year. According to Superintendent Dr. Beverly Reep, those cuts are going to have an impact in the classroom. She says the budget is more optimistic compared to the previous one in that lawmakers are trying to keep teacher assistant and teacher jobs. But the problem she says is that they are putting the hard decisions onto individual school systems to make the cuts. Dr. Reep says some jobs may have to be cut. She says, "How do you come up with 6 to 7 million dollars from largely instructional related revenue streams without it having an impact on the classroom."

School systems across the state are being asked to make cuts. In Onslow County--they too could potentially have to cut 6.8 million for next year. And in Craven County they would have to cut 4.3 million.

• by Kane on Jun 6, 2011 at 04:44 AM
    The education lottery is a joke. It was when it began and will continue to be one until every thin red cent goes to education.
  • by irritated teacher Location: Greenville, NC on Jun 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM
      by D on Jun 6, 2011 at 09:11 AM in reply to irritated teacher
      I agree! You are so right!! It makes me sick! As a teacher myself, I know where you are coming from! It is almost like we are better off to quit work and go on welfare, then we will have free insurance, get free food......But, no......the teachers-who are the teaching the leaders of tomorrow- get crapped on! And they say class size don't matter if you're an effective teacher! Let these crazy quacks come teach a class of 30 students alone all day with ADD, ADHD, BED, and so on children! Grrrrrr!! I just want to slap these people some times! We are creating the future yet we are low man on the totem pole to get crapped on and we have to take it! Not fair! I honestly don't think these people realize what they are doing! It's going to not only hurt us, but the children as well!
  • by Looking at Corruption Location: Greenville,NC on Jun 3, 2011 at 04:44 PM
    Something that alot of people dont know is that 80% of received revenue of every North Carolina Citation is sent to the school fund. Think about it, how many people go through the courts, just in Greenville, five days a week paying fines,etc.and it is state wide.Think of how much money that generates!! Then the lottery,thats alot of money too. Im telling you there should be GOLD BRICKS in the buildings and gold trimmed tiles on the floors. Teachers should not have to buy kleenex,soap,etc.(or send out letters for the stuff either...)The fundraisers, My child WILL NOT walk neighborhoods, for any fundraisers because the money should be there.People there is sooo much money corruption when it comes to the school system,(and not by the teachers...) Last but not least, our TAXES go toward schools. GIVE ME A BREAK BEV. vote her out and people take a stand against our corrupt system.
      by WB on Jun 4, 2011 at 08:10 AM in reply to Looking at Corruption
      Yeah, Governor Perdue diverts the money from the lottery, too.
  • by USMC (Ret) on Jun 3, 2011 at 01:34 AM
    So....instead of complaining about our Governor (and trust me, I have a LOT of complaints about her and will do everything legal in my power to make sure she's not reelected...this is the straw that broke the camel's back), what viable solutions can we as CITIZENS come up with? Besides paying out of pocket for classroom supplies, which I do on a regular basis. Honestly...I'm open to ideas. 30 kids per class without an assistant is just not conducive to a prime education. And an education is what these kids need to succeed in life these days. I had 30 per class when I went to school, but times were different. A college education wasn't considered status quo for an entry level job then.
      by teacher on Jun 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM in reply to USMC (Ret)
      I couldn't agree more...
        by USMC (Ret) on Jun 3, 2011 at 01:53 PM in reply to teacher
        Here's a thought...how about every parent (that's eligible) put aside one day a month to volunteer at their kids' classes? That might not save the teacher assistant jobs, but it would help the kids. That said, if they're going to up the class sizes, I'd still prefer a permanent TA. I know that some parents aren't eligible, either for legal or monetary reasons, but a lot of parents ARE available, and for more than one day a month.....just a thought. In the meantime...we need to push the State to take the money out of, say, the governor's travel fund (really...the White House for something that could have been done by teleconference?), or by lowering/freezing the salaries of some of the superfluous government lackeys that wander around the capital. And before anyone attacks...I may just make copies and run messages at my kids' school, but it frees a teacher up to TEACH.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:51 AM
    Pitt County Schools could save some classroom positions by not giving out the supplemental bonus check this year to the teachers.
      by Barbara on Jun 3, 2011 at 02:23 AM in reply to
      I agree that supplements could be reduced or eliminated--but it should start next year; not this year. I am days away from receiving my supplement and I do think it would be very unfair to withhold it at the last minute. But in the long run, I would be willing to give up part or all of my supplement to help save someone's job and to keep more teachers and teacher assistants in the classroom. I'd also like to see that cuts are being made at county Central Offices statewide and in the upper ranks of the DPI before cuts are made that effect the classroom.
        by Anonymous on Jun 3, 2011 at 03:02 AM in reply to Barbara
        Amen
      by teacher on Jun 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM in reply to
      Teachers who do not have tenure and/or are on action plans, will not receive supplements next year.
        by Anonymous on Jun 3, 2011 at 04:49 PM in reply to teacher
        If no PCS teachers receive the bonus that could be enough to hire more science and math teachers at the entry level payscale for next school years budget.
      by irritated teacher on Jun 4, 2011 at 10:21 AM in reply to
      Whatever- we already don't get any pay increases with years or service- what they need to do is QUIT taking things away from teachers... It is unbelievable that our teachers are the ones making ALL the sacrifices, but what's the state doing for us- THAT'S RIGHT- raising our class size, taking assistants away, shafting us on decent healthcare, and we have to make "allowances" daily because of this "budget" crisis. It's sad when students in your class (who are "part of the system" if you know what I mean) have better health coverage than their teacher BUT WAIT AGAIN- they're not even paying for it! Oh and they aren't paying for their lunch either. But let a teacher want a slice of pizza in the cafeteria..she's paying for it..... Something's just not right!
        by Barbara on Jun 5, 2011 at 07:13 AM in reply to irritated teacher
        I agree that along with some cuts in education there should also be significant cuts in Medicaid and other welfare programs. I was raised in a poor family without health insurance and we only went to the doctor when we were sick. Unfortunately, the poverty I was raised in as a child has had some impact on my health as a adult, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. My parents did the best they could with what they had to work with--they both worked hard all their lives, but were uneducated and didn't make much money. They paid their own bills, though, and didn't depend on government (taxpayers') money to do it for them. The bottom line is that this state and this country has to stop spending so much money--we're broke.
  • by anon Location: pitt cou on Jun 2, 2011 at 09:25 PM
    why why why are we facing budget cuts in our schools when we have an education lottery??? where is all the lottery money going?? doesn't appear to be going to the schools for needed things like TEACHERS, BOOKS, ETC. I could care less about a new gym or new computers if we are not able to provide the essentials. TEACHERS AND ESSENTIAL learning supplies!!!
  • by Anonymous on Jun 2, 2011 at 09:06 PM
    We have lost industry jobs so its time to cut on education. Its just how it works. We keep losing jobs and before long were back to "little house on the prarie ". If you want better education for the kids I say move to the big city. I know this is not what you all want to hear but this is how it is. If youre having a hard time figuring it all out I would recomend going back in the day and listen to some youtube clips of Ross pero. He knew back then what was going to happen so suck it up. I hate it too but I knew he was right while people made him out to be a joke.
  • by voter Location: nc on Jun 2, 2011 at 07:36 PM
    sounds like the perfect time to build a spec building at the trans park money pit. or hire a political consultant for bev, at 125000. /year, plus benies. bev could care less about the peasants.
  • by balanced budget on Jun 2, 2011 at 07:00 PM
    you know what, tax revenue is down and cuts have to be made. cuts have to come from all agencies - including schools/education. i went to school without teaching assistants - did pretty well. I just wish folks would stop pretending that throwing money at "education" will solve all our problems - it isn't the solution. a balanced approach to state/fed budgets is a start including reigning in "education" spending.
      by teacher on Jun 3, 2011 at 10:32 AM in reply to balanced budget
      It is possible that when you were in school, parents were parents and teachers were teachers. Now, in many cases, teachers have to be parents before they can even begin to teach the kids anything. In a perfect world, a teacher could do it all without an assistant. That's simply not the case with today's society and its offspring...
  • by PCS Teacher on Jun 2, 2011 at 06:34 PM
    If times are so tough, how can PCS offer a $7,000 pay incentive for the administrative position at Farmville Central High School? There are also other "curriculum coach" positions being advertised on the PCS website. What's up with that?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123062933 - witn.com/a?a=123062933