Schools Brace For Cuts

Schools in the east may be in store for more budget cuts next year after Governor Perdue said more cuts are needed because of a 3 billion dollar budget gap.

Greene County school officials say the news that they are going to possibly have more budget cuts isn't surprising, but it is going to be tough on them.

These potential cuts would come on top of cuts that school systems are dealing with already. Many teaching assistants have been let go in Greene County within the past year because of these cuts.

Superintendent Patrick Miller says they've tried to trim all the fat without impacting students, but says with more cuts, that may no longer be possible. "We have cut and cut for the past several years and we have trimmed the fat out of our budget. At this point, additional cuts will simply mean we will bleed from somewhere."

Miller says the school system will do the best they can when making these tough decisions.

• by Anonymous on Nov 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    By the way-Noone co-signed on my college loan--It was in my name and I paid it all back myself. There are many options for people who really want to go to college. It's all about how much you want it. If you expect it to be handed to you without having to work for it--then yeah--I see how it might be difficult to go to college--You made your choices--and I made mine!!!!
  • by hope Location: NC on Nov 26, 2010 at 09:52 AM
    To Long Arm: "Better yet, give police more power, to be judge, jury and executioner at will." Really? WITN does not provide enough room on this forum for me to post a response to that. God save us from our puffed up egotistical selves.
  • by hope Location: NC on Nov 26, 2010 at 09:44 AM
    To Deborah S: I was agreeing with some of what you said. Then you had to go attack Anon regarding the chicken processing plant remark. He wasn't "degrading people" that work there. Maybe you don't teach English...LOL. Many have 'the grass is greener on the other side' mentality. One thing is for certain, anon is working and paying taxes. He probably would like to see his HARD EARNED tax $ spent wisely. What does the S stand for behind your 'name'?
  • by THE LONG ARM OF THE LAW on Nov 26, 2010 at 06:35 AM
    You want to save money? Then STOP SUPPORTING PRISONERS. I find it ridiculous that we are feeding and clothing criminals. Never mind giving them shelter, cable tv, healthcare, etc. Waste of money. Instead of jail or prison time, EXECUTE, IMMEDIATELY AFTER TRIAL, or else throw them convicts in some outdoor fenced in area and let them starve/dehydrate. There is no point in supporting criminals. Better yet, give police more power, to be judge, jury and executioner at will.
  • by P on Nov 26, 2010 at 01:35 AM
    You can only cut so much! Nobody wants to pay taxes so people lose their jobs, then no one has the money to buy anything because they donot have a job to help pay taxes.And govt put jobs overseas. And el presidenta goes to India to create jobs for USA. What jobs? We already gave the country away years ago by the idiots in DC.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 25, 2010 at 07:13 PM
    Deb, what school hires someone with a two year degree to teach 5th grade?
  • by Concerned Location: Greenville on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    To Sara- Before we close the scholls maybe you should return and try paying attention this time, your spelling and grammar is worse than a 3rd graders.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 24, 2010 at 04:20 AM
    Hmmm Let's see..2 weeks at Xmas, 3 days at Thxgiving, 8 months in the summer, 1 week at Spring Break. If you work on all those other "student holidays" you all get off, I didn't about it. Matter of fact, I've noticed my child's teacher was gone so much last year for "teacher classes and seminars" he pretty much had a substitute all year. Also, some students don't qualify for loans. You have to have a co-signer. Obviously you grew up in a world where there was such people in your life that would do that for you. There are many who don't. Lucky for you right?
  • by Obama Snake Oil co Location: Washington on Nov 23, 2010 at 09:33 AM
    Bev, layoff administration...those 100 superintendants? Their support staff and only have one. How much money would that save? Look at these salaries and decide which should go...teachers last as they are the lowest of the paygrade. http://www.wral.com/news/public_records/page/1281178/
  • by Anonymous on Nov 23, 2010 at 09:27 AM
    People who really believe that teachers have off 12 weeks of vacation must really be ignorant--get real--Teachers are required to attend workshops to renew the license that they have already earned!!!! The reason I went to college is so I wouldn't have to gut chickens!!!! If that is the job you chose --quit whining about it--I worked --yes worked my way thru college and paid back a college loan. I sacrificed during that time in my life so I could get a 4 year degree--If you chose not to do that--why would you think you are entitled to the same salary as someone who did???

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 108803454 - witn.com/a?a=108803454