School Superintendent Leaving After Less Than One Year

Edgecombe County is looking for a new school superintendent again.

Dr. Wayne Talley announced this morning during a staff meeting that he is leaving the school system after less than a year on the job. He cited health concerns as the reason for his departure.

Talley was hired last summer. He previously served as assistant superintendent at Avery County Schools.

A school spokeswoman says Talley listed September 30th as his last day, but that could change after the school board meets on Wednesday night.

• by teacher on Oct 12, 2011 at 04:58 PM
    i am so glad he is gone! he gave such a bad reputation to ECPS. Goodluckto the next place he goes yall are gonna need it!
  • by bw Location: Tarboro on Aug 4, 2011 at 05:15 PM
    Most people in this town believed that Dr. Tally was a weak man who did not know what he was doing some called him a "mountain man" who would not be able to adjust. I personally found him to be a "fox in the hen house". I am sorry to see him leave because for once we had someone who made decisions that were in the best interest for change in this system. I most admired him because he stood up to the "status quo" and didn't back down. ECPS will be better for his being here. Much change is needed in this county, I am so ashamed of the lack of progress we have made during the passed 10 years and our students will pay for it in the long run. God's blessings Dr. Tally and take care of yourself!
  • by ej on Aug 3, 2011 at 02:44 PM
    As a former student of Dr. Tally's. I would like to say he has always been a fair man. Wish you all the best with your health. This county will truly be losing a great administrator.
  • by ej on Aug 3, 2011 at 01:55 PM
  • by Teacher Location: Washington Co. on Aug 2, 2011 at 05:16 AM
    I am a full supporter of Mr. Talley you were a wonderful principal when we had you in Washington Co. you did what was right for the students and staff even though some didn't like the outcome. I would love for you to come back and take over our school system. It would be a much better place than what it is now. The teacher who made the comment about you not having passion and heart is a teacher that students don't need. She was probably not doing her job and that is the problem you wouldn't let them run the school. I am glad my children don't have her as a teacher. I wish you and Mrs. Talley the very best and may god bless you with your health..Stay strong and don't worry about the idiots who don't know you and your dedication to helping children..
      by Dorothy on Aug 2, 2011 at 01:14 PM in reply to Teacher
      Then maybe you can take Talley back to washington.. He hasn't done any good for the "students" all he has done was crate chaos! He is not a "NICE MAN" so take him back to where ever he came from. His health is not the only reson he is leaving.. The truth will come out someday what he is all about!! So the teacher is probably one of the "GOOD" teachers in this county that spoke up. Good for her/him to finally speak up!
      by (Another) Teacher on Aug 2, 2011 at 08:33 PM in reply to Teacher
      So you presume I am a woman:) This is both flattering and amusing. I am sadden you would not trust me with your children, but I am also relieved, as I am in pretty high demand and it hurts me when I have to turn someone down... What baffles me though is your and other "supporters" eagerness to offer Dr. Talley a job. He is sick, people! He needs rest and recovery and not a job! He could have led ECPS through another year of vision and passion if he had chosen so. He was not forced to resign and he was not fired...so why are you trying to exhaust him? However, I wasted far too long on futile arguments around such a minor topick . Good night and Good Luck :)
        by Principal on Aug 3, 2011 at 09:33 AM in reply to (Another) Teacher
        (Another) Teacher, could you please tell me what is a topick? I am familiar with topic, topics, etc. Additionally, how does one lead a system through a year "of vision and passion"? I do understand leading with vision and passion but not through. Unfortunately for you, it would be my turning you down if your resume and letter of request to interview contained such grammatical errors and misspellings as are contained in your post.
          by (Another) Teacher on Aug 3, 2011 at 01:00 PM in reply to Principal
          Well, it is not "unfortunately for me", that's for sure! I did think it was Dr. Talley abrupt leaving the topic we are picking at here. That's a guy I can challenge at any time in a spelling/writing contest..Saw a sample...cringed...got outside....took a breath of fresh air....felt better. Auguri!
  • by Mom Location: Tarboro on Aug 2, 2011 at 04:37 AM
    First, I will pray for Dr.Talley's health. Secondly, I would like to speak on his behalf...he met me on a few times at schools that I was having issues with and got things straight, so yeah, that is more than we had with the last man in his position. And thirdly, I really hope someone has the insight to call Dr.Vanderlinden....the BOE has passed her up too many times! Pick up the phone and call that woman folks!
  • by Anonymous on Aug 1, 2011 at 08:45 PM
    Thankfully, with that attitude, you don't work in Edgecombe County. Our children don't need people who see their futures as "hopeless and futile."
  • by Educator on Aug 1, 2011 at 06:14 PM
    To the BOE of Edgecombe - don't be stupid again this time, be more careful in who you hire this time.
  • by supporter on Aug 1, 2011 at 03:46 PM
    Dr. Talley, you are a man of vision and passion. Do not let this experience take that from you. It's a sad reality that counties like this all over our country are dying due to their unwillingness to change the status quo. Remember Luke 9, verses 3-5
  • by The Sawyers Location: Creswell on Aug 1, 2011 at 03:10 PM
    Sending prayers up for your health Dr. Talley. We would love to have you and Mrs Talley come back to our school system.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126521678 - witn.com/a?a=126521678