Onslow County Schools Discount Reduced Food

Parents getting their kids ready for the school year who qualify for free and reduced meals will need to sign up their children soon.

In Onslow County, there is good news for parents who participate in the program. The reduced priced lunches will still cost $0.40. Breakfast will be free after it used to cost $0.30, according to the Jacksonville Daily News.

• by Liz on Aug 26, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    Geez, people.... It's been proven that kids who eat good meals do better in school. Giving kids breakfast and lunch when their parents can't or won't provide it is a decent thing to do. Granted, free school lunches aren't going to solve most of our society's problems, but they do help. And they're cheap (cause that's what REALLY matters, apparently).
  • by Free Lunches on Aug 15, 2011 at 06:34 AM
    The "Free Lunch" was the begining of the downfall of the USA. Any child that is on the free lunch program for his entire school attendance, was a poorly planned pregnancy. A mistake. A burden on society. It's a program that was created to suppliment or temporarily support and care for less fortunate/unfortunate parents that came across hard times...NOT to finance generations of families. It makes me sick to think that a woman will lay with a man for pleasure, then make the taxpayers pay to raise any children she has as a result. Some do it as a way to make a living! It's shameful and it results in children that grow up thinking that their life (on the gov. dole) is normal and accepted as proper. Sometimes in the wild, when the food supply runs out, the offspring die. Maybe that's the solution.
      by A mom. on Aug 16, 2011 at 06:35 AM in reply to Free Lunches
      Wow.. so everyone who might need to make use of the reduced/free meals in a public school is a burden that should be set to the wild to die?... Wow. Really? Well, bub, let me tell you something, perhaps you seriously need to take another look at the world we live in. My child was on the reduced program for a single term, because, quite frankly, the cost of living keeps going up, and yet my paycheck surely didn't. I'll grant you, there are more than a few who take advantage of the system, I am not one of those, and to see someone make such broad and cruel statements that my son was a mistake, just, frankly, ticks me off. Grow up. Seriously, just grow up. I bust my rump to be sure my child is well cared for, and when the time came that I needed a little help, I took it. Takes a village you know. I don't feel guilt or remorse for that fact. And to Scott who commented about the clothing the kids wear? Anon had a valid point, but sadly, I also know, you do as well, and that sort of thing grates on my nerves, too. I really wish ALL schools required uniforms. It'd pretty much nip that sort of thing in the bud.
      by A mom. on Aug 16, 2011 at 06:42 AM in reply to Free Lunches
      One thing.. I do appreciate what you are saying in one way though. I must concede to that, as some of those who stay on the program do seem a bit like leaches.... BUT... sometimes, a person really does try. Lighten up, and look deeper. I know one woman, who has a fantastic job, four kids, and a dead husband. Another, who has only one child, born from her former husband who's now a dead-beat dad. I can seriously name a few dozen cases like these... and then... of course... I know another woman with 5 kids, she stays home, collects checks...yeah... I can see what you are saying... *sighs* Maybe I am just too old these days, and too tired to really form a coherent thought anymore. I'm just gonna go and take a nap before work.
      by Liz on Aug 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM in reply to Free Lunches
      It sickens me that a man will lay with a woman for pleasure and then disown any responsibility he has for the child they created. It is shameful that one person will say that a child is "a burden" because her parents planned poorly and that it is "normal and accepted as proper" for that child to die of starvation and disease. Nobody chooses the circumstances of their conception. The food supply hasn't "run out". Some people, however, think that we should withhold food from children because of their parents' mistakes. That's sick. Giving a few 10 year old kids a free lunch isn't going to doom our society. Embracing hypocrisy (How many children do you have, Mr. Free Lunch? How many of those children have you never seen?), greed and cruelty will.
  • by Scott on Aug 15, 2011 at 06:25 AM
    While some kids do need it many don't. You can tell. The kids getting free and reduced lunch walking around in 100 dollar sneakers and tommy hilfiger clothes don't need it, but some how qualify...
      by Anonymous on Aug 15, 2011 at 07:09 AM in reply to Scott
      Have you ever thought maybe a friend or grandparents buy clothes for children? The parents may not have a dime but the kids don't have to suffer. When my children were growing up they were given clothes, and shoes ect. Same with poor children, others might give them things. Geesh, man stop being mean.
        by Scott on Aug 15, 2011 at 08:05 AM in reply to
        Don't count on that being the case because I wouldn't take that bet.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127720718 - witn.com/a?a=127720718