NEW INFO: School Bus Vs. Moped Injures Driver

State troopers are investigating a wreck between a school bus and a moped early this morning.

None of the four students on the Pitt County school bus were injured, but the Highway Patrol says the moped driver, William Briley, possibly suffered a broken leg.

It happened on Old Creek Road and U.S. 264 around 6:30 a.m. Troopers say the moped was west on Old Creek Road, while the bus was eastbound and made a left turn into the moped. Bus driver Chermaine Gray told troopers that the moped had no lights on at the time, nor was the driver wearing any reflective gear.

Trooper Amanda Signs says a reconstruction team will take a look at the moped bulbs and see if they were on at the time of the crash. So far no one has been charged.

Pitt County Schools spokeswoman Heather Mayo says the students on the bus were exceptional children, going to various schools.

Mayo says Gray has been a driver since 2000. As is protocol, Mayo says the bus driver will be drug tested and then can't drive until the investigation is complete.

• by Really Upset Location: Bethel on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:00 PM
    The victim of the accident is a friend of mine. By the way, he has more than a broken leg. He has already had two operations for his major injuries and he will have to have atleast three more. The doctors say that he will probally not be able to ever work again. The driver of the bus should have been paying more attention to the road.
  • by Any One Location: greenville on Mar 30, 2011 at 03:08 PM
    A Moped with or without lights on shouldn't make a difference. What would be the protocol if it had been a pedestrian walking, Must they also have a headlight? Get Well Soon
  • by CJ Location: Greenville on Mar 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    Im so tired of hearing about how fast a school bus goes!! Does it matter if its 45 or 55? The entire point of this story is that the school bus turned when he dident have the right away and hit someone!! And does it really matter if it was a moped or not it could be anyone that the bus hit. Now an inocent mans life will never be the same.
  • by hands on Location: greenville on Mar 30, 2011 at 09:03 AM
    i was the first on the scene coming to the stoplight across from them. i was saying to my husband we are on time this morn because her comes the moped-man as i call him. the light was changing and before i could finish saying that everylight out of town was going to catch us "BOOM!!!!!. dont know him personally just see him on my way to work. we were running prob 40-50 mph and saw him. he was heading straight across and she was turning left. see that they are going to investigate it well there are the facts as we saw them. hope all are going to be o.k. also i did turn his ignition off as he was worried that the lighs may spark a fire in the leaking gas.
      by Susan on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM in reply to hands on
      Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! The truth prevails.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 30, 2011 at 04:39 AM
    Yes it is really that dark. I was on the way to work and passed the wreck. This morning was very foggy and hard to see.
      by Really? on Mar 30, 2011 at 05:47 AM in reply to
      Seems rather odd that it was that dark on a well lite highway at 6:30am when I live in Grimesland surrounded by many fields and at 5:50am I was outside with my husband, no lights, and I could see just fine. Guess I have supernatural eyesight.
  • by Susan Location: Greenville on Mar 29, 2011 at 08:51 PM
    I also know this man. He is a hard working, great guy who gets up every day and goes to work just like most of us in order to make a hard earned dollar. I guess, according to you bigots, he doesn't deserve the same respect as most because he drives a moped. I would hate to be you judgemental, self-righteous people. Get well soon Clayton, your friends are all praying for your speedy recovery!!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:44 PM
    Man this is like Obomba Vs america.Maybe I am wrong.He broke our back.
  • by bubba on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:18 PM
    I hope the moped driver is ok. I still think that all vehicles on the roads should at least have insurance and tags regardless if the driver has a license or not.
  • by Pauline Location: Edgcombe County on Mar 29, 2011 at 06:14 PM
    I think he had as much right to be driving on that road as anyone. I know him and I feel the bus driver is trying to protect their job. There is know way he left home while it was still dark with no lights.Those remarks about drunk bike, etc are uncalled for. How would you feel if this was a family member of yours up there in surgery all broken up and people were saying all these hateful things.If you have nothing nice to say and you were not there you should keep your comments to your self.
  • by OMG Location: Beaufort County on Mar 29, 2011 at 04:21 PM
    I cannot believe the ignorance that surrounds us every day. Not everyone that drives a moped is without a license, nor are they all reckless. Some of them are, but so are some drivers of cars, trucks, and SUVs. Some people drive mopeds because that is all they can afford to drive and they have to make a living just like the rest of us. Heck, there are plenty of people out driving motor vehicles every day that do not have a valid drivers license. Accidents are just that - ACCIDENTS. They will happen regardless of what or who are out on the roads. People need to pay attention at all times.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118838639 - witn.com/a?a=118838639