Simpson Police Chief On Paid Administrative Leave

The police chief of Simpson is on paid administrative leave after an officer-involved shooting this weekend.

Pitt County deputies were called to a home on Nina Lane around 12:15 a.m. to assist Simpson police.

The State Bureau of Investigation is now handling the case. They have identified the victim as William Scott Osburn.

Chief John Waters has been with Simpson police for six years and is the only police officer for the village.

There is no word on the condition of the person shot nor the circumstances of the shooting.

Previous Story

According to a Pitt County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman the SBI is investigating a shooting that happened early Sunday morning in Simpson involving a Simpson police officer and another person.

The spokeswoman says Pitt County deputies were called out to a home on Nina Lane in Simpson around 12:15 a.m. Sunday to assist Simpson Police.

At this time no more details are being released and she says the SBI is taking over the investigation.

• by Anonymous on Oct 26, 2011 at 03:09 PM
    Atleast he is on paid administrative leave. He is working for nothing as usual.
  • by sunshine Location: north carolina on Oct 11, 2011 at 07:23 PM
    If you don't like cops, the next time you are in need of help don't dial 911, call a crackhead!
  • by Sandra Location: Simpson on Oct 7, 2011 at 03:57 PM
    I pray this situation gets resolved quickly.This town feels very unsafe with no one patroling the streets-anyone who lives here and goes out after dark could tell you the same thing.My prayers to all involved.
  • by Donna on Oct 7, 2011 at 04:21 AM
    To "Are you Saying" Need to correct my earlier post to you. I mentioned it twice. Found it in an earlier post. So in total 2 times. Just wanted to set the record straight.
  • by MR on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    I want to know the same thing... I don't see the relevance...
  • by mcd77 Location: Greenville on Oct 6, 2011 at 04:53 AM
    Chief Waters was doing his job. He is levelheaded and I wish there were more LEO's like him. If Scott is so bad off, maybe his friends, family and all these "baby's mama's " should get off this site and be standing vigil beside his sickbed. Keep your head up chief, and speedy recovery to Scott.
  • by Straight up Location: Washington on Oct 5, 2011 at 06:41 PM
    OK it is time for all this foolishness to stop from both sides.No one but Amands, Scott And the officer.Anybody that was in that Trailer doesn't know what happened that night.I know Mr Osbun And I know the officer.Everyone putting comments up here are ignorant.You weren't there so you sre only going by hearsay.Why can't you leave things alone and Let Law Enforcement do their job.There is no sence putting all this garbage up here.If you want to do anything fro Scott Pray for them. This is in the hands of God and the SBI. You people don't even know what his real name is.And the people in INDIANNA sure don't know what happened.Hearsay will not be heard in a court of law.Amanda , Scott and The Officer were the only ones out there.I really Wonder if Scott will even remember anything about thst light.Get a life and stopped talking about things you know nothing about
      by to straight up on Oct 5, 2011 at 10:59 PM in reply to Straight up
      So it's ok for you to post a comment up here and call everyone else ignorant. Well I will pray "fro" Scott and them. I will pray "for" Cheif Waters as well. And you too should stop talking about things you know nothing about.
      by Anonymous on Oct 7, 2011 at 05:11 AM in reply to Straight up
      FYI-People tend not to listen to others that they do not respect. Scott did not respect the authority of Chief Waters; therefore, he chose not to listen. And I do not respect you, because you're calling others ignorant and you can't even spell INDIANA!
      by Rhonda ( scotts aunt) on Oct 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM in reply to Straight up
      With every action there is a reaction. People need to remember this. Sure we in indiana are going by what we are being told, and we weren't there, but just because we are upset and praying that our loved one has a fast and full recovery...we are also trying to make some sence of it all. you are right to say that the only ones who know for sure of what happened are the ones involved...and just to set it strait, no one from Indiana claimed to know what happened for sure. we just don't understand. Having family in the police force, I can't feel any pitty for the oficer involved. They are to use every meens possable BEFORE pulling their firearm. And why did he not call for backup if he felt so threatened by a boy. I feel the officer should NOT have paid time off. I'm not just saying this because I am family...I would say the same if it happened to someone I didn't know. Sham on the officer. Being the police chief he should have done something else besides pull his firearm to controle the problem...why didn't he use a tasier, or the sandbag gun? Really? To every action there is a reaction.... Carma has a way of circling and comming back to haunt us. I don't know how the officer can sleep at night knowing he could, and should have used other meens to secure the situation BEFORE pulling his gun. Knowing he should have called for back up and didn't...and now due to his actions a boy fights for his life. Shame on him. I love you Scottie, and my thoughts and prayers go out to you.
        by Tracy on Nov 2, 2011 at 01:28 PM in reply to Rhonda ( scotts aunt)
        Your nephew is not a "boy". Especially once he charges at an officer. Shame on your nephew! I hope your nephew gets the help he needs to get clean and we will pray for all involved.
  • by Tarzan Location: G-Ville on Oct 5, 2011 at 06:32 PM
    Regardless of how this turns out I bet he listens the next time an officer speaks to him.
      by really on Oct 7, 2011 at 01:02 PM in reply to Tarzan
      um...the cop never said anything too him...its really funny how you think you know something and know completely nothing
  • by Me on Oct 5, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    I am not a cop, have never had law enforcement training, BUT I can tell you that before I take MY pistol out and shoot someone, I will use any other means I can to protect myself. You don't shoot an UNARMED person to protect yourself when you have many other means to do so...This officer was afraid for his life because of yelling?? Sounds like he doesn't need to be an officer. Scott, I am praying for you baby, you will make it through this, and justice will be served one way or another...Just remember, Karma.
      by C D on Oct 5, 2011 at 03:56 PM in reply to Me
      Me, maybe, just maybe, if he had done as he was told he would be sitting back drinking another one right now. Just a thought. Have you ever seen anyone get knocked out in a fight? I have. If Chief Waters would have fought him and he was lucky enough to land a blow to certain pressure points on the body, that would have incappacitated the Chief long enough for him to get the Chief's gun. It's not quite as simple as "I would never use deadly force..." If the Chief didn't know the individual then he doesn't know what he is capable of. Don't try to Wednesday quarterback this deal, if you weren't there. If you were there, like the other 25 people that have said they were, then you should have helped keep him from causing the disturbance that got him into this situation. One more thought, would you go up against an expert martial artist, drunk or not, unarmed? Unarmed doesn't mean they can't hurt you.
        by Are you serious? on Oct 6, 2011 at 07:06 PM in reply to C D
        when you pull that trigger you want the person at the receiving end dead! fact is fact when you point and fire a weapon at a person you are shooting to kill,so CD are you saying that when LEO's pull up to a drunk and disorderly they should just roll in and start shooting? about your question,if he was unarmed I certainly would before I tried to kill him.Now I got a question is this LEO the only LEO in America that doesn't carry pepper spray or a taser? if so then maybe they need to get the one that takes his place some, works good on drunks!
          by Anonymous on Oct 7, 2011 at 05:07 AM in reply to Are you serious?
          Actually, you're completely wrong. Every time someone points a firearm at another person, they are not shooting to kill. It can be used as a defensive tool to stop someone and keep yourself safe. And nobody ever said that LEO's should pull up to a drunk and disorderly and just start shooting. The fact of the matter is, when someone is warned several times to stop coming towards a LEO and they continue, there's no telling what they are planning to do. Also, it has been said by several people that there were upwards of 20 people at this location when Chief Waters arrived-the largest majority of them had been drinking. Would you try to use pepper spray or a taser against that many people? If so, you must not value your own life much at all.
  • by WOW! on Oct 5, 2011 at 08:36 AM
    Okay this mess is crazy! All you people think you know what was going on when nobody was out there!!!! The cop might be a good cop but that morning he made a bad desison!Oh and to bring up something that the boy did a while back to bring up in this is CRAZY! Plese tell me that any of you havent ever done nothing that you regret doing!! So stop all the comments if you dont know nothing! Point blank the boy she should not be laying up there in the condition he is in!! If a cops gets a little freaked out from a drunk thats running his mouth then he dont need to be a cop!! Just saying!!!
      by To WOW! on Oct 5, 2011 at 04:50 PM in reply to WOW!
      Were you there??????? If so, why didn't you try to stop him BEFORE it escalated further? And the comment about bringing stuff up from the past, well it goes to show character darling. But I don't know nothing, just saying!!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130942483 - witn.com/a?a=130942483